Getting back into the swing of things

Hey, there. I've read some things on NerdFitness over the last couple years, but didn't realize there was a forum. I was talking with a friend earlier about how cool it would be if I were to track my progress with stat points, and a Google search later I discovered this place and its 6-week challenges and guilds.

About me: I'm a 20-year-old college student and have been more focused on getting fit for about a year now. I was making decent progress until I broke my ankle (and sprained my other foot!) rock climbing this past September. Being told I couldn't do anything much fun until mid-late December was terrible, but once that was over and my ankle stopped aching as much I was on winter break in the habit of being lazy and sitting still, with not even the long treks around campus to get to class to keep me fit. Now, I've gained somewhere between 5-10 pounds, and I want to lose it and try and get in shape for an upcoming cosplay, and of course, for life. I love feeling fit.

My fitness-related hobbies and interests are basically all things that would put me as an Assassin, so once I complete my first challenge, I think I know where I am heading :) (Question: Would it still count if I started now, halfway through a challenge? It says the first 50% will qualify me to join a guild next challenge, what about the latter 50%?)

Anyway, I want to get back up to where I was and get better from there.

• Like 1

Hi refract3d! Welcome to NF from another Newbie.  :joyous:

I'm also a 20 yo college student and wannabe Assassin. To answer your question, you are always welcome to start in the middle of a challenge.  I would say that you would just let the second half move you up to Level 1.  I'm not an expert, but I know it's more about you getting fit and feeling good about yourself than "following the rules".  Do what you think will motivate you and help you the most!  

Feel free to add me/pm me if you have questions, need motivation, or just want to chat!  Best wishes in all your endeavors. 

Level 3: Wood Elf, Assassin

| STR: 5 | DEX: 6 | STA: 3 | CON: 7 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3 |

“We love our superheroes because they refuse to give up on us. We can analyze them out of existence, kill them, ban them, mock them, and still they return, patiently reminding us of who we are and what we wish we could be.† - Grant Morrison

League of Extraordinary Nerds

Current Challenge 

Progress:

3%
3%

Welcome to the fold! This group is as nerdy as it gets for tracking fitness and goals.

I'd guess 3-5 weeks left of a challenge is fine to join, but 1-2 weeks left might be a bit slim. But the poster above is right, it does come down to each person making gains and staying motivated.

What are you thinking for your first challenge? And what are you thinking for a character?

Orc Warrior | LVL 4

Current Challenge: Milo Sustains

@TheMarvelPrincess That's what I thought, but I'm not sure. And thanks, nice to meet you!

@Milo Seems like it'll be fun. I didn't notice the "week break in between." I have it planned out in a wordpad file that I haven't posted yet. Been working on my goals anyway the last couple days. I'm thinking something like: Lose 5 pounds, (re)gain muscle so I can actually do more challenging things again. Do so by: 1. Keeping track of the amount and type of what I'm eating (whether in a calorie/nutrition tracker or in my head in estimates), drinking way more water. 2. Weights and bodyweight 3x a week. 3. Some cardio every day, more cardio on non-weights day. I think that's good.

I've been thinking Wood Elf assassin for my character.

ETA: Not sure how leveling would work if I start mid-challenge. Start the next one at level 1?

• Like 1

@refract3d I'd say yes, if you finish the last few weeks of the challenge, upgrade to Level 1. Typically you'd move to level 1 in the first 3 weeks of the challenge, so I'd say that works out. :) 

Also, not sure if you've seen this yet, but one of the Nerds came up with a great Character Generator.  It's fun even if you already know what you want, but it's worth a look!  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/18235-nf-character-generator-find-your-guild/ 

Level 3: Wood Elf, Assassin

| STR: 5 | DEX: 6 | STA: 3 | CON: 7 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 3 |

“We love our superheroes because they refuse to give up on us. We can analyze them out of existence, kill them, ban them, mock them, and still they return, patiently reminding us of who we are and what we wish we could be.† - Grant Morrison

League of Extraordinary Nerds

Current Challenge 

Progress:

3%
3%

Welcome to the rebellion Marvel princess.

“Happiness consists in getting enough sleep. Just that, nothing more.†  Starship Troopers

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.†  Starship Troopers

“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms†  Starship Troopers

Follow and comment for my current challenge at this link:  

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39940-toms-adventures-in-rangering

And this is my Battle Log

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/38791-early-morning-challange/page-2