So, snow.

I have a snowblower. I consider it strength work, given how much damn work it is to haul the thing around to change directions, even though it's a self-propelled 2-stage. Shoveling is basically, as you said, cardio/lifting combination, with the weight dependent on the ambient temperature.

Ah, snowpocalypse. We meet again. It's too bad my lightsaber is powered by an LED and is not actually contained plasma... that would probably be a useful localized snow-melter.

• Like 3

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

I went to start the snow blower last night and the engine would not fire..it may be hand clearing this one.

Driveway is not huge but at 2-3 feet of snow is going to give me 5-6 feet snow drifts and probably a 6 foot plow bank at the end of the driveway.

Anyway i cut it, going to be getting in some backbreaking work tomorrow. We don't usually get hit too bad in CT but it looks like we are about to get walloped.

snow shoveling .. definitely resistance training ... but high rep so more endurance .. BUT .. if you are a beginner to shoveling then, high, low rep wont make much difference, you will put on muscle.

Look at it as Crossfit

and you can up the difficualty by putting more snow on your shovel

It would come under kettle balls and sandbags if it were an exercise

Human | Ranger

Level 3 | STR: 8 | DEX: 2 | STA: 8 | CON: 5 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 7

Current Challenge / Second Challenge, /  My First Challenge

My driveway is 75 yards long.  If we expect anything more than about 4" I have to shovel as the storm goes or it gets really nasty really quickly.  I have spent a few long nights going out every two hours to scrape the driveway.   When we got a couple of feet a few years ago, I got tired of going out there non-stop and said "screw it, I'll shovel when it's done."  I foolishly let something like 14 inches pile up and it took me 9 hours to get the whole driveway clear.   Never again.  

Luckily, I'm on the edge of this one.  It's snowing now, but we don't expect more than a couple inches, tops.   Good luck and stay safe to all you guys in the teeth of it.  

Did I offer advice in my post?  Please keep the following in mind:

• I am not a doctor nor any other kind of medical professional.
  • I am not a lawyer.
  • I am not a mental health provider
  • I am not a nutritionist
  • Your mileage may vary
  • I don't do anything in moderation
  • I have lots of injuries & if you train like me, you probably will too.

Whoa Nelly, Nubbins... that's the point at which you stop parking by the house, park down at the end of the driveway, shovel out the bottom 20 feet of the driveway, and then just shovel a two-person-wide pathway down to the cleared portion from the house. Ain't no way I'm shoveling 75 feet of driveway! (Unless you've got people who can't walk the driveway in the house, then carry on with my sympathy.)

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

Ain't no way I'm shoveling 75 feet of driveway!

Yards, not feet. [emoji6]

I wish it was only 75 feet!

• I am not a lawyer.
  • Your mileage may vary

Yards, not feet. [emoji6]

I wish it was only 75 feet!

Oh whoops... I swear I can read. My point still stands, though, and to an even further extent! If I won't shovel 75 feet, I definitely won't shovel 3 times that length!

They keep promising snow here (DC), but I've only seen a sprinkle... we'll see what tonight brings!

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

Oh whoops... I swear I can read. My point still stands, though, and to an even further extent! If I won't shovel 75 feet, I definitely won't shovel 3 times that length!

They keep promising snow here (DC), but I've only seen a sprinkle... we'll see what tonight brings!

It was snowing in Reston this morning the whole time I was there but it's just wet a little further south (where I am now)

• I am not a lawyer.
  • Your mileage may vary

Great the total just got upped a bit, up to 36 inches possible. I might be better off just digging a tunnel and shoring it up with beams at this point.

Not that I am unused to snow, but damn this escalated to ludicrous at a rapid pace.

When I was in the Army we were in Japan and had snow so deep we dug tunnels between fighting positions.

Funny at the time, kinds of a pointless story now. Stay safe, stay warm.

• Like 1

• I am not a lawyer.
  • Your mileage may vary

How would you categorize snow shoveling as exercise? Part cardio/part lifting?

My poor state is expected to get hammered with 2-3 feet of snow tomorrow and I predict much shoveling in my future.

You and my state both.

And yes I technically would. Then again, I count carrying stacks of wood as exercise.

Also, where's my global warming when you need it. I want it summer all year around. Screw polar bears. Curse you science naming it a different name and it not being what I hope for. FU

And yes I hate snow like the plague.

• Like 2

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

You and my state both.

And yes I technically would. Then again, I count carrying stacks of wood as exercise.

Also, where's my global warming when you need it. I want it summer all year around. Screw polar bears. Curse you science naming it a different name and it not being what I hope for. FU

And yes I hate snow like the plague.

I would count carrying wood as exercise too!  

I would not mind it a bit warmer, but not too hot I hate humidity.  A global Late Spring temperature setting would be great.

The morning came and we're buried knee-deep. I've already shoveled the back deck off twice and run the snowblower once... I know it wasn't snowing around midnight, thanks to Facebook reports. When I woke up at 6:00, we had about eight inches of snow already lying around, and there's no sign of it slowing down anytime soon.

Now just to hope that the power stays on...

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

Ah, snowpocalypse. We meet again. It's too bad my lightsaber is powered by an LED and is not actually contained plasma... that would probably be a useful localized snow-melter.

Also if the snow was too bad you could use it to make a nice Tauntaun sleeping bag.

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and, whatever you hit, call it the target."

redtomato501 - I wish we looked like that!  It just took me 40 minutes to clear my car enough to look like a car.  At my apartment, some of the smaller vehicles in the lot look like lumps of snow, seriously, you can't see anything resembling car.  It's light though which is both a blessing (easy to move) and curse (snow in the face, thank you wind).

The interesting part to me is that when I came in, you could only see the incoming foot prints in the snow.  I never left. ^_^

Knee-to-Thigh High snow is fun.

• Like 1

THIS IS GOING TO BE SO AWESOME

wEyAlULl.jpg

The only reason we can still see things is because it's only been snowing for about 3 hours now (I'm in Eastern Canada, so we're the last ones to get it).

One of the gyms I go to already got shut down, but luckily I went early knowing what would happen ;P It was upper body day, so I'm probably going to cry a little while shoveling later.