I thought it would be nice to have a place where cosplayers can get together to discuss projects and to get help and advice on their builds and such. Whether you are a newbie or a pro there is someone here that might need you.

• Like 1

In brightest day, In blackest night, No evil shall escape my sight, Let those who worship evils might, beware my power, GREEN LANTERNS LIGHT!

I have no clue how to go about that, but I'll take a look see with my sweet librarian search skills.

But this is a great idea! Cosplay help for one and all!

I'm looking to build a kagune for my Tsukiyama Shuu cosplay this year and I know /nothing/ about prop building, so I think I'll hang around here. Any tips on how to builld this purple thing below would be cool.

tumblr_inline_n9yzgaEkZS1r63xx7.png

But I can help people with make up styling tips and ftm crossplay cosplay tips. : )

• Like 1

High Elf | Scout | Level 3
[ STR 3.5 | DEX 3 | STA 7 | CON 3 | WIS 7 | CHA 4 ]
Second Challenge | Battle Log

"I do not intend to make excuses."

100 Plus Miles!

101%
101%

I have no clue how to go about that, but I'll take a look see with my sweet librarian search skills.

I'm looking to build a kagune for my Tsukiyama Shuu cosplay this year and I know /nothing/ about prop building, so I think I'll hang around here. Any tips on how to builld this purple thing below would be cool.

But I can help people with make up styling tips and ftm crossplay cosplay tips. : )

You could start with making a wire frame and doing paper mâché around it. Then you just have to paint it. If you want it to light up you could add in some E.L. Wire.

In brightest day, In blackest night, No evil shall escape my sight, Let those who worship evils might, beware my power, GREEN LANTERNS LIGHT!

You could start with making a wire frame and doing paper mâché around it. Then you just have to paint it. If you want it to light up you could add in some E.L. Wire.

I was actually thinking a wire frame with vinyl, but I don't know how I'd go about setting the vinyl to that.

Any ideas on wire type/thickness? I don't want it to break or get so bent out of shape its salvageable or ugly.

E.L wire is a good idea. I dunno if I'll opt to make it light up, but that's a great idea! 

Meanwhile, I've found this cool tutorial for Bane that you could check out? Dunno how you'd rig it into a pack/tank, but it is cool. 

It's a good start at least to get the glowing green.

I found one guy who did this? You could contact him or mod his really basic looking idea? He's got a bunch of pictures in is DA account that look like they could at least give some ideas.

• Like 1

100 Plus Miles!

101%
101%

I was actually thinking a wire frame with vinyl, but I don't know how I'd go about setting the vinyl to that.

Any ideas on wire type/thickness? I don't want it to break or get so bent out of shape its salvageable or ugly.

E.L wire is a good idea. I dunno if I'll opt to make it light up, but that's a great idea! 

Meanwhile, I've found this cool tutorial for Bane that you could check out? Dunno how you'd rig it into a pack/tank, but it is cool. 

It's a good start at least to get the glowing green.

I found one guy who did this? You could contact him or mod his really basic looking idea? He's got a bunch of pictures in is DA account that look like they could at least give some ideas.

I haven't done much wire work but the people where you get it should be able to help. Thank you for the links.

Unfortunately, I can't see the picture here at work to give you any solid ideas.  A quick google search shows both a large "ribbon" and a giant blade, so I'll go with that for the moment.  For the ribbon, I suggest a heavy gauge wire frame with fabric sewn around it.  Paper mache will work, but doesn't flex well with the wire during transport and crowds.  Vinyl would also work, but is more expensive and harder to work with.  For the blade, a wood sheet is the ideal, cut and carved to shape, but is also an expensive option.  You can also layer foam board or cardboard (cheapest option) and use a sharp box/exacto knife to shape it.  Just be careful not to crush it during transport.  If you go the cardboard route, you'll need to tape and glue the edges to cover the corregation before painting.

Just to get things started I am working on a venom pack for my bane costume but I can't find many good pics to go from, anyone know of a good disign to use or any ways to make it better than others?

I'd start by tracking down an old backpack/camelback at goodwill and cutting it apart to get the straps and back.  From the pics I've found, after that you just need to find appropriate electronic-ey bits and paint some old bottles/jars bright green.  I might even grab an old motherboard for the core of it.  Take your time putting it together so your glue is well hidden and you should be fine.  You can also look into some battery powered rope light for the tubes.

Now to my problem:  I've gone to DragonCon the past two years as Nightcrawler; last year I tried to build the tail so it would move as I walked and failed miserably.  So for this year, I'm just going to go full robot on it.  My problem is that I need a material to build the vertebra out of that won't flex when pulled or wrapped around something and can still be carved/shaped and won't cost an arm and a leg.  Ideally, I want a monkey tail that I can hang from (with a climbing harness), but I don't expect to get that far this year.

And yes, I'm mildly insane. :playful:

• Like 3

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

I've always wanted to cosplay but will never have the time at this point in my life, so i'm just here to observe and enjoy your guys' work, and offer suggestions where I can.

• Like 2

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Now to my problem:  I've gone to DragonCon the past two years as Nightcrawler; last year I tried to build the tail so it would move as I walked and failed miserably.  So for this year, I'm just going to go full robot on it.  My problem is that I need a material to build the vertebra out of that won't flex when pulled or wrapped around something and can still be carved/shaped and won't cost an arm and a leg.  Ideally, I want a monkey tail that I can hang from (with a climbing harness), but I don't expect to get that far this year.

And yes, I'm mildly insane. :playful:

That's a hard one but I know some people that are good with this kind of thing so I'll ask around.

Anyone have good sites for wigs. Also, for color contacts.

Wigs and contacts! There's a thing I know about!

Check out Arda Wigs, they can be a bit pricey, but the fibers they use are heat resistant, so you can style them like real hair using flat irons and blow dryers. Other companies don't offer high quality wigs that won't melt under heat (literally.) They also offer great house made tutorials on styling and dying and cutting, so they're a great resource even if you buy your wigs elsewhere. I've never been unhappy with anything I've got from AW.

As for contacts--I warn that they're tough. A lot of it depends on where you are and what options you have, what risks you're willing to take health wise, and what you're willing to legally by-pass.

​If you're considering contacts, you really need to sit down and think about what you're willing to risk, what your actual eye sight is like, and more. If you want to be 100% safe, spend the extra money, so see an optometrist, and get fit for contacts. They'll be able to measure the curve of your eye and the focus of your pupils and get you a really, really good fit that won't damage your eyes. Then you can order from US sites.

If you're in the US, you can't order contacts from other US sites without a legal prescription. Even just regular colored contacts.You can order from other countries, but you won't be able to hold them accountable if anything happens to your eyes. If you're going with circle lenses, which is what many cosplayers do, you need to be aware of the damage those can do. I wear them, but because they are thick, they can cause a lot of damage and really dry out your eyes. They're also mass produced, so they aren't made to fit the curvature of your eye. If you're not afraid of that and you're willing to take risks, I'm happy to recommend several sites in Japan, Korea, Canada, and China that provide colored circle lenses for cosplay.

Please feel free to message me on the topic.

• Like 2

100 Plus Miles!

101%
101%

Unfortunately, I can't see the picture here at work to give you any solid ideas.  A quick google search shows both a large "ribbon" and a giant blade, so I'll go with that for the moment.  For the ribbon, I suggest a heavy gauge wire frame with fabric sewn around it.  Paper mache will work, but doesn't flex well with the wire during transport and crowds.  Vinyl would also work, but is more expensive and harder to work with.  For the blade, a wood sheet is the ideal, cut and carved to shape, but is also an expensive option.  You can also layer foam board or cardboard (cheapest option) and use a sharp box/exacto knife to shape it.  Just be careful not to crush it during transport.  If you go the cardboard route, you'll need to tape and glue the edges to cover the corregation before painting.

I don't have to travel far for my cons, fortunately. All the cons I go to are within a 10 minute drive of where I live. XD

I was shying away from paper mache, but cloth is a great suggestion. There's a sheen to the kagune, so do you have any fabric suggestions? I know a lot of the shinier fabrics out there then to have stretch that makes sewing with them difficult.

For the blade, I think layed foam or cardboard would be the way to go, and I'm happy to paint. I suppose I could just get a cheaper fabric and paint it to match too, add a gloss finish. Hmmm. 8|c

100 Plus Miles!

101%
101%

I don't have to travel far for my cons, fortunately. All the cons I go to are within a 10 minute drive of where I live. XD

I was shying away from paper mache, but cloth is a great suggestion. There's a sheen to the kagune, so do you have any fabric suggestions? I know a lot of the shinier fabrics out there then to have stretch that makes sewing with them difficult.

For the blade, I think layed foam or cardboard would be the way to go, and I'm happy to paint. I suppose I could just get a cheaper fabric and paint it to match too, add a gloss finish. Hmmm. 8|c

At home, so I can actually see the picture now.  I'm honestly not familiar with the properties of different fabrics; I just find the one that looks right and grab it.  But for stretchy fabric, a zigzag stitch works better than a straight stitch.  And if you want the blade and the ribbon to match, just use the same fabric for both.  Make a cover for the foam/cardboard blade form and glue or staple it in place.

Anyone have good sites for wigs. Also, for color contacts.

Always go to an optometrist for contacts.  Your vision is too important to jeopardize with cheap contacts.  Honestly most people aren't going to notice the contacts anyway, so if the cost is all that's holding you up, just go without them.

• Like 1

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

AWESOME! Thanks for starting this! I am working on a Grey Warden costume and I think I jumped in way over my head. But I gonna try anyway! Unfortunately I can't see any of the pictures here (and I am at work >.>)  So I can't offer any advice just yet.

What are you having issues with?

I'm going to my first con next weekend and doing my first cosplay. And my costume is nowhere near completion. Sigh. 10 point to the first person to guess who I'm going as....

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

I'm going to my first con next weekend and doing my first cosplay. And my costume is nowhere near completion. Sigh. 10 point to the first person to guess who I'm going as....

That's pretty normal actually, at least for me.  I've brought a sewing machine to Dragoncon the last two years so we could all finish costumes.  Last year a friend and I literally built her entire Sunday costume while at the convention.  What are you having trouble with?  We may be able to give you some time saving pointers (safety pins are a god send, btw).

• Like 2

When I was at AWA my friends and I hadn't finished our Attack on Titan 3D gear harness straps. We spent so much time making them in the hotel. It's normal. And kind of fun even. Take a breath and remember everything will be okay and despite what all we cosplayers tend think, doesn't need to be 110% all the time. Focus on fun, not perfection!

• Like 3

100 Plus Miles!

101%
101%

At home, so I can actually see the picture now.  I'm honestly not familiar with the properties of different fabrics; I just find the one that looks right and grab it.  But for stretchy fabric, a zigzag stitch works better than a straight stitch.  And if you want the blade and the ribbon to match, just use the same fabric for both.  Make a cover for the foam/cardboard blade form and glue or staple it in place.

Great ideas! Thank you! 8D

100 Plus Miles!

101%
101%

I'd guess you're going as gorilla grodd

That's pretty normal actually, at least for me.  I've brought a sewing machine to Dragoncon the last two years so we could all finish costumes.  Last year a friend and I literally built her entire Sunday costume while at the convention.  What are you having trouble with?  We may be able to give you some time saving pointers (safety pins are a god send, btw).

When I was at AWA my friends and I hadn't finished our Attack on Titan 3D gear harness straps. We spent so much time making them in the hotel. It's normal. And kind of fun even. Take a breath and remember everything will be okay and despite what all we cosplayers tend think, doesn't need to be 110% all the time. Focus on fun, not perfection!

Thanks! Makes me feel good to know that I'm not the only one. I just don't have very much experience sewing so it's just hard for me. Trying to learn a new skill with so little time. :)

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Thanks! Makes me feel good to know that I'm not the only one. I just don't have very much experience sewing so it's just hard for me. Trying to learn a new skill with so little time. :)

You're not! Not at all!

Last year too for Fandemonium 2014, I made blood effects on a shirt the night before I was supposed to wear it. Last minute stuff happens all the time. : )

100 Plus Miles!

101%
101%

I taught myself ho to sew thanks to a couple of friends i could call and You Tube :)  LOTS of fails, a few god hits. Just takes time and effort. Hell I am still hitting a lot of fails (last  years costume) You can do it!

Now, if only I can get started on mine. Any good ideas on mock scale maile? Just in case my plan falls thru again? I have the idea of craft foam of course, but trying to get a few more ideas just in case. 

Rising Heroes Faction: HAVIK 

Fitbit | Art Page | Instagram