Train hard. Drink tea.

If anyone remembers a centaur ASS-assin haunting the boards circa 2013abouts, hi! My old handle was knockingdog, but now with martial arts in the mix, it makes more sense to go by TeaKwonDo.

(Deliberately mispelled, I promise.)

I just really missed NF. You guys kept me sane during the worst parts of my senior year in college, and I want to go back to that. Working two jobs and training means that I don't have much time for daily updates, but at least once a week recap of workouts.

Workout 1/26: 3 hours, 1 minute with warmup and stretching. Not a great pace but needed the extra time for those weak glutes.

Mobility warmup, sparring bouncing timed to two songs.

10x10e lunges / 10x5 fist pushups (Switched to reverse tricep pushups midway because dry knuckles started cracking--'sup carpet stains.)

3x10 fingertip pseudo-planche pushups / 3x5 kungfu pistols

2x5 one-arm pushups / 2x10 shrimp squats

30s assisted back lever

1 + 1^7, 1 + 1^4, 1 + 1^4 chinups

15/18/12/6/15 hanging leg raises (Straight leg, then tucked when approaching fatigue.)

15/7 hanging side knee tucks

2x50s horse stance

60/15/15/2x50 Rolling Plank of Doom (Front/Side/Side/Superman)

Yoga cooldown.

/ = superset

e = each side

x^y = cardio set, controlled explosive with assistance

Annnnnnd... lots of writing. Normally I'm out all day at work, but Winter Storm Juno has everyone under lockdown, which leaves time to work on a tea book and get back into NF.

Train hard. Drink tea.

Checked in here because of the awesomeness of your thread title, and now I find KnockingDog! Cool to see you again. And doing all sorts of amazing things like one arm push ups

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

There is nothing harder than switching up high reps for low ones. And doing nothing but yoga on rest days. And adding BCAAs because my body needs the recovery boost.

Little by little, thinking of it as rehab training. I've always struggled with guilt if a workout doesn't flush me out completely, like those high-strung sporthorses who need to be ran beforehand or else they just go crazy. All that energy drives me nuts.

This is on top of trying to follow the Zen creed of "take only what you need" for fuel. People go, "Oh, you train so hard that you can eat anything you want and it's going to be used for fuel," but it doesn't work like that. Hoboy it does not.

And "eat real food"--this will be great once my body is back to normal, but right now in this rehab cycle, IF (crazy as it may seem, but adding meals created a backlog of food-information), BCAAs and whey are doing me more good than all the broccoli in the world. Serves as a reminder that even Bruce Lee used supplements to keep in shape. A lot of them, actually.

Which leads to another reason I'm back on NF. My jobs are taking a huge toll physically and I want to train better to handle anything the world may throw at me--behind the bar or on it.

(Oh yeah, it gets real when you're serving tea.)

• Like 1

Train hard. Drink tea.

Ok, gameplan!

1) Low rep, high tension, controlled explosion, to work on form and to give my joints a rest.

2) Stay active during workouts and minimize muckarounditis, to keep muscles from going stiff.

3) Emphasis on hamstring, glute, and lower back strength to combat overflexibility. (Is it even possible to un-stretch hams? As fun as it is to go into a full split, I need real legs for roundhouse kicks.)

Conditioning: MWF am.

Sparring warmup, stance-switching
Fist pushups 10x5 / BW pistols 10x2

Reverse pseudo-planche fingertip pushups 4x6 / Kungfu pistols 4x2

1-arm pushups 3x5 / Shrimp squats 3x5

Assisted back lever for reps

Assisted close grip chinups

Hanging leg raises

Hanging oblique knee tucks

Wide horse stance to fail

Rolling Plank of Doom

Active rest: TThSat am.

Yoga, yo.

In the past I also had really good luck with doing abs the way Bruce Lee trained, every day with high reps. It definitely makes my core feel more stable when kicking. Just a pain in the butt to do all those reps. You start feeling like an upside-down bug on the ground, flailing your limbs. Anyone else run into this?

Train hard. Drink tea.

Irony. Noun.

Definition: Creating a personal business website to combine tea service and fitness--but having to spend the day inside to do it.

Solution: Walk to the drugstore in the cold.

Every breath of frigid air: totally worth it.

The yoga this morning must have been the only thing keeping my circulation alive today. That, and the wonders of a standing desk!

Next stop: signing up for the next challenge. If I can get my career on track, I have to get my body there to back it up.

AndfirstTKDtournamentinMarchholysplit.

• Like 1

Train hard. Drink tea.