Just weight lifted for the very first time!

I know it's not technically a success, but I am super pumped out and proud of myself, so I just wanted to share this.

I'm currently trying to lose weight (I've actually lost 13lbs so far!) and I've been following the Paleo diet and doing the body weight work out for almost 6 weeks, but I'd never tried weight lifting before; mostly because I'd been too scared of people's reaction and judgement. Today I finally conquered my fears and went for it. I did a few bench presses but then moved onto deadlifts. My first reaction? The bar itself is pretty damn heavy. But I LOVED every minute of it and I'm sure as hell coming back in 2-3 days. Right now, I can't really feel my arms. And it feels good.

• Like 4

Ranger/Assassin Level 2

Strength: 4 | Dexterity: 1 | Stamina: 3 | Constitution: Wisdom: Charisma: 1

Paleo | Body weight workout | Weighlifting

Intro | Previous 6 Weeks Challenge | Current 6 Weeks Challenge

Starting weight: 180lbs

Current weight: 156.5lbs

Goal: +/- 140 lbs

There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

Awesome job! I think a lot of women get intimidated by weight lifting because of the fear of judgment. I'm excited you moved through that and went for it...especially since, as women, we benefit tremendously from weight lifting and strength training. Denser bones, stronger muscles, healthier and more capable bodies and minds...why not!? We all start somewhere...and I remember having those same feelings starting with the empty barbell and wondering if I'd ever get stronger (spoiler alert: YOU TOTALLY GET STRONGER). Keep at it! It's an amazing rush to hit new PRs. 

danica

Level 3 Warrior Assassin 

See my instagram for photos of my training and also my Sphynx cats.

I log my daily programming at my battle log.

Challenges: Current - Warrior 2 - Warrior 1

Awesome job! I think a lot of women get intimidated by weight lifting because of the fear of judgment. I'm excited you moved through that and went for it...especially since, as women, we benefit tremendously from weight lifting and strength training. Denser bones, stronger muscles, healthier and more capable bodies and minds...why not!? We all start somewhere...and I remember having those same feelings starting with the empty barbell and wondering if I'd ever get stronger (spoiler alert: YOU TOTALLY GET STRONGER). Keep at it! It's an amazing rush to hit new PRs. 

Thank you so much, it's super motivational to hear something like this! And I wholeheartedly agree. I was extremely terrified someone would laugh at seeing an unexperienced, overweight woman in the free weights section. Having finally done it, I just feel so proud of myself. Yeah, sure, I used one of the lightest disc weights, but it's like you said, everyone starts somewhere, and I'm definitely not gonna stop here!

• Like 1

Ranger/Assassin Level 2

Everyone has been a beginner at some point. Not just women, but also most men without prior lifting experience start with an unloaded bar, at least for some exercises.

You may find that an unloaded bar (45 lb/20 kg) is too heavy for some exercises. There are alternatives. Men use these too. I started goodmorning exercises at 10 pounds and started push situps with 6 pounds.

Some gyms have either women's bars (35 lb/15 kg) or "technique," "youth," or "alumalite" bars (typical sizes are 11 lb/5kg, 15 lb, and 22 lb/10kg). These takes the usual plates (discs) that you've been using.

http://www.amazon.com/CAP-Barbell-2-inch-Aluma-Lite-Training/dp/B002D1Y6H2

Or there may be "aerobic bars," which have a fixed weight and don't take plates (discs), and come in sizes from around 5 lb to 25 lb.

http://www.adamantbarbell.com/Bars-Barbells/Exercise-Bars

Or there might be "cardio barbells," which are intended for aerobics classes but have other uses as well. These typically have a 5 lb bar and can accept plates that have a smaller center hole.

http://www.adamantbarbell.com/Womens-Fitness/Cardio-Barbells?zenid=4312c8b7265f15371346bd9615ac3e13

A few gyms have what is called a "standard" barbell which is like the cardio barbell in size but made of steel and therefore heavier -- though mostly these are something people use for home gyms. Unloaded weights vary widely with these:

http://www.adamantbarbell.com/Standard-Weights/Bars-Barbells

And you can use dumbbells instead of barbells for most exercises.

By all means, lift with confidence and use the full size barbell for the lifts where it makes sense. But check around for lighter weight alternatives for the exercises where you need them.

Working out regularly since November 2014.  Scoliosis with 100 degree curve in lower back reduces height from 6-4 to 6-1.  245 pounds

Working weights in pounds (7-10 reps)

Overhead press . 80

Bench press. . . 135

Squats . . . . . 185

Deadlift . . . . 295 (x5)

Lat pulldown . . 160

Everyone has been a beginner at some point. Not just women, but also most men without prior lifting experience start with an unloaded bar, at least for some exercises.

You may find that an unloaded bar (45 lb/20 kg) is too heavy for some exercises. There are alternatives. Men use these too. I started goodmorning exercises at 10 pounds and started push situps with 6 pounds.

Some gyms have either women's bars (35 lb/15 kg) or "technique," "youth," or "alumalite" bars (typical sizes are 11 lb/5kg, 15 lb, and 22 lb/10kg). These takes the usual plates (discs) that you've been using.

http://www.amazon.com/CAP-Barbell-2-inch-Aluma-Lite-Training/dp/B002D1Y6H2

Or there may be "aerobic bars," which have a fixed weight and don't take plates (discs), and come in sizes from around 5 lb to 25 lb.

http://www.adamantbarbell.com/Bars-Barbells/Exercise-Bars

Or there might be "cardio barbells," which are intended for aerobics classes but have other uses as well. These typically have a 5 lb bar and can accept plates that have a smaller center hole.

http://www.adamantbarbell.com/Womens-Fitness/Cardio-Barbells?zenid=4312c8b7265f15371346bd9615ac3e13

A few gyms have what is called a "standard" barbell which is like the cardio barbell in size but made of steel and therefore heavier -- though mostly these are something people use for home gyms. Unloaded weights vary widely with these:

http://www.adamantbarbell.com/Standard-Weights/Bars-Barbells

And you can use dumbbells instead of barbells for most exercises.

By all means, lift with confidence and use the full size barbell for the lifts where it makes sense. But check around for lighter weight alternatives for the exercises where you need them.

Thank you so much for all these advices! My gym is tiny (I live in a small town where gyms aren't really popular) and doesn't have lots of equipment, but I'll be sure to ask around about some lighter bars. Seems like a more reasonable option here.

• Like 1

Ranger/Assassin Level 2

Gotta agree with the crowd here - you took an awesome first step and conquered your fear.  And the weight room.  Definitely a right on WOOOOOT! :D

• Like 1

Rome isn't build in one day! I never laugh at anyone at the gym whos "fat", "big" or unexperienced. The fact that you are inside the gym working out says alot allready ;). Keep it up and FLAME ON!

Grats on your first deadlift! I know it feels awesome. It will surprise you how much strength you have in that motion. You have no idea right now.

Good job!

What? Why not? Of course it is!

Gotta agree with the crowd here - you took an awesome first step and conquered your fear.  And the weight room.  Definitely a right on WOOOOOT! :D

Thank you all so much! It feels awesome to have so many people congratulate me. I'm back in the gym first thing tomorrow morning and I'm prepared to kick some ass. Wish me luck!

Ranger/Assassin Level 2

Awesome!! I'm starting tomorrow, excited!! Congrats with your start!

Thank you so much! That's so great! I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did (I'm, like, 99% sure you will)!  :D

Ranger/Assassin Level 2

Careful, deadlifts are addicting.   :D

I sure hope so. ;)

Can say that again, just did my first today and loved them, can't wait for sundaymorning to get back to it.

And i can't think of a better w00t than one for conquering a fear. Thumbs up (or around the barbell ;) )

Hey, that's awesome! I'm just about to leave for gym and I'm expecting to kick some ass. 

Ranger/Assassin Level 2

Thank you so much! That's so great! I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did (I'm, like, 99% sure you will)!  :D

I did! I feel tough like the Hulk now haha :triumphant:  Started out with the bar (deadlifts), added some (little) weight later (I was with a trainer) and it was awesome haha!

Careful, deadlifts are addicting.   :D

Second that, even though I did it only once, can't wait for my next time :lol:

~~  Level 2 Assassin ~~

STR: 3 | DEX: 0 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 4

Let's Gain some! My first challenge > Completed!

Some things about me: My Pinterest

I did! I feel tough like the Hulk now haha :triumphant:  Started out with the bar (deadlifts), added some (little) weight later (I was with a trainer) and it was awesome haha!

That's so great! Be careful tomorrow, your arms (and maybe legs as well) are gonna be sore as hell (I had a hard picking up a half-empty gallon of milk...). It feels so good, though.  :pride:

• Like 2

Ranger/Assassin Level 2

Woooo I am very happy for you! I also just started and I also think it is a big accomplishment! And I love to get to know all the amazing weightlifting women on here, women should not be scared of lifting heavy stuff! :) 

Woooo I am very happy for you! I also just started and I also think it is a big accomplishment! And I love to get to know all the amazing weightlifting women on here, women should not be scared of lifting heavy stuff! :)

I absolutely agree! The stereotype that women shouldn't weightlift because it'll make them "bulky" (hate this word) is horrible. I'm just glad I finally realized how wrong I'd been for so many years. And have an amazing time lifting! I can already feel myself getting addicted. :)

Ranger/Assassin Level 2