The Day of Zero

So first, I'd like to introduce myself. Hi! I'm Maria, your friendly neighbor. I have a great number of interests, but number one right now is getting my body to a happier, healthier place. I'm not worried about how I look (and neither should you, because you're all beautiful people) but am more so concerned with how I feel. And right now, today, I feel pretty week. I took a break from lifting, running, and eating right about a month ago and today, my body just spoke to me and said, "Maria, stop what you're doing. Take me for a jog." So after this post, that's exactly what I'm going to do.

My goals? Well for one thing I'd just like to be strong, more flexible, and faster. What's today? March 2nd? Okay, well let's say that in a month I'd like to be feeling better. I plan on spending fifteen minutes before bed and when I wake up stretching, and I plan on lifting four times a week. I'm not really big on cardio, but I do want to start running in order to get back into shape for my true love- swimming. But we'll worry about that later.

A little about me- I'm about tennish or fifteen pounds heavier than I'd like to be- 156 lbs and 5'3, down from a 167 (which is not a significant amount of weight loss for me because those pounds come off and on easily). But I'm not really all that worried about weight at all- on the contrary, I'm headed back to the gym because I don't feel that well anymore, and I want to get better. If you want to stick around to watch and cheer and talk, or you have any advice, let me know. I'd love to hear it.

Tonight's Workout

Dumb bell Bench Press (15 lbs. <sigh> got to start somewhere I guess) 8 reps 3 sets

Bent Over Dumbbell Row (20 lbs) 8*3

Shoulder Press (15) 8*3

Lying Tricept extension (15 lbs) 8*3

Dumbbell Curl (20) 8*3

Tonight's Stretch

Seated Trapezius Stretch 30 secs. each side 2 times

Shoulder Stretch 30 sec each side twice

Tricept Stretch 30 sec. each side twice

Tip and Tuck 1 minute twice

Day One

Hello, beautiful people!

Sore. I can't even believe it. I'm sore, and my workout from yesterday was nothing compared to what they used to be. Now, I'm not unbelievably sore, but sore enough that the feeling is uncomfortable. When did I ever get so weak? Also, I keep looking at a few protruding places on my body (the result of unnoticed weight gain) , thinking, "Whoa, how long as that roll been there?" It's kind of a wake up call.

Today was just sort of rough, ever have one of those days when you don't know where your life is heading, or if you're doing the right thing? Well I had that sort of day today, and the sensation of weakness that is creeping up in my body just added to it. There's something about lifting and running and swimming that is so good, and so real, that I can't be away from it for too long without missing it sorely (pun not intended). And there's something about the day after, when your arms and legs feel sort of weak and tired and sore, when you know you did something the day before, and even if it wasn't much. It was something. When you feel discouraged, just do something, anything is better than nothing. Sometimes I just have to keep reminding myself of that.

Today was a boring day- totally foggy and rainy- and I had classes all day so I didn't work out at all at the gym. I spent the day stretching out and trying to focus on appreciating this body of mine which I have ignored for the past few months. I focused mostly on hip flexibility (for splits) and headstands. Rough days should always end with good stretches. Goodnight, you beautiful people, whoever you are...

Stretch (about 15 minutes twice a day)

V stretch

Lunge stretch

A bunch of other stretches I don't know the names for that are basically variations of the two mentioned above

(ten minutes on these stretches)

downward dog

headstand (with wall support)