Peelout's Journal 1

About me:  To put me in a box, I'm a 54 year old, 5'10", 171lb, married, male, social liberal/fiscal conservative engineer from Illinois who wants to hang on to 50 as long as I can.  Genetically, I've always been on the lean side.  My "ideal" wt is 163lbs.  185lbs has been my highest wt.  I'm very active in whitewater kayaking and dabble in indoor/rock climbing.  I also enjoy hiking, camping, and downhill skiing.   Adrenaline is my drug of choice.

Motivation:  I'm reasonably fit for 54, but I want to make sure I stay that way for as long as possible.  If I can paddle whitewater at least till I'm 80, I'll be happy.  Here's a video of my friend and I kayaking whitewater in Wisconsin in the winter.  https://vimeo.com/65000507

Major recent life change:  Toward the end of Dec 2014, I listened to an audiobook by Charles Duhigg called "The Power of Habit".  It was the magic bullet for me.  We all know what we need to do, the challenge has always been consistently doing it.  Duhigg teaches how to break old habits and start new ones using the same cue/routine/reward habit loop that advertisers use.  Once created, habits do not require will power.  They are automatic, similar to brushing your teeth.  In the past 3 yrs, I would normally cycle between working out intensely for a couple months, then losing focus and not exercising for 3 months.  Since I started using Duhiggs system, I've exercised everyday this year.  That's everyday, not most days! 

Keystone Habits created and fully kept so far this year:

KH1 - As of Dec 23, I started keeping my work desk clean and organized (Work related habit which requires me to put away all papers at the end of every day and spray clean my desk at the end of each week).

KH2 - As of Jan 1, I started exercising every day (Combination of high intensity days, low intensity days, sport days, and placeholder)

KH3 - As of Jan 2, I started managing home records and limiting my postits (No more than 2 postits on my desk,, bills recorded daily, finances updated monthly)

KH4 - As of Jan 14, I eliminated night time crap after 9pm. 

KH5 - As of Feb 3, I started a work related habit of 1hr/week of job skill training.

I have successfully kept every KH everyday since their individual inception dates.

Exercise:  I have 4 current workouts:

1.  Blitz (3 days/wk) - A combination of strength and cardio + stretching.  It consists of 5min treadmill + 12 exercises (6 basic strength + 3 full body movements + 3 core strength + stretching all done with no rest between sets.

2.  Stretching (2-3 days/wk) - 8min treadmill + 15 stretching movements.

3.  Sport (1-2 days/wk) - Whitewater kayaking, climbing, or hiking.

4.  Placeholder (1-2 days/month) - 10 freebody squats.  This is for days I'm too sick or busy to fit in anything else.  It has no fitness value, but keeps the mind programmed to the fact that I exercise daily no matter what, even if it is just 10 squats.

Diet:  My diet is very consistent (and boring).  A typical day consists of:

Breakfast - protein shake (every day)

Lunch - (weekdays) chicken/egg salad sandwich, fruit/vegy bag, (weekends) salad.

Dinner - Salad (at least 6 days/wk) + whatever meat product my wife cooks up.

Late night - PB + hone on toast or yogurt w/ nuts added

Snacks - 1 soda/day + 1 sugary snack

My salad - romaine and spinach, 3 grapes, 3 cherry tomatoes, mandarin orange, cottage cheese, vinaigrette dressing.

Favorite quotes:

Diet is 80% of losing wt, but exercise is 80% of motivation (Peel)

We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit (Aristotle)

We have freewill.  Therefore, we have personal responsibility (Peel)

Main Quest:  Develop and maintain sufficient full body fitess levels need to continue whitewater kayaking and other sports as I age.

My current goals to be reached by end of 2015 are:

1.  Reduce wt from 171lbs to 163lbs,

2.  Be able to touch palms to floor w/o bending knees (currently within about an inch of that),

3.  Perform 5 pullups from full lower position,

4.  Be able to climb "baby poop" w/o a take (difficult climbing route at Upper Limits in Bloomington, IL,

5.  Improve my 360 (kayak spin, currently I get it about 1 out of 10 tries)

• Like 3

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Love the kayaking video! I can totally relate to adrenaline being your drug of choice - I've done river rafting, skydiving, and been  firefighter/EMT...

Welcome to Nerd Fitness! I'm looking forward to you hanging out with all of us crazy Rangers. You are definitely going to fit right in!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Wt - 169.8

Snack late last night after logging - PB and honey on toast

Breakfast -  protein shake

Lunch - chick/egg salad sand, fruit/vegy bag

Dinner - salad, small amount of chili

Snack - 1 soda, couple m&m's

Workout - Blitz w/o (see definition in first post)

Was my day a success?  Yes, kept all KH's.  It's been 2months and 4 days w/o missing a day of exercise.  Only 2 placeholders used.  Thinking of adding a couple bacon strips to my breakfast.

Current Challenge 

KH1- 5 star desk 
KH2 - Exercise everyday 
KH3 - Manage home records 
KH4 - Eliminate night time crap 
KH5 - 1hr/wk job related training 
Wt - 169.2 
Snack last night after log in - PB and honey on toast 
Breakfast - protein shake, hardboiled egg 
Lunch - chick/egg salad sandwich, fruit/vegy bag 
Dinner - small amount of chili, 2 slices cheese
Snack - 1 soda, couple m&ms, 1 cookie 
w/o - 10min tread, pullups, stretch 
Was my day a success? Yes. Completed all KH's.
Going to get some books at library on paleo and primal diets.  2 months and 5 days of some form of daily exercise.  Duhiggs system kicks azz.  

Current Challenge 

Mar 6

KH1- 5 star desk
KH2 - Exercise everyday
Wt - 169.8
Lunch - chick/egg salad sandwich, fruit/vegy bag
Dinner - salad
Snack - 1 soda, + 1 soda + popcorn at movie
w/o - blitz, increased some wts

Was my day a success? Yes. Completed all KH's. Started reading book on Paleo eating. Kind of intrigued.  Hard part will be making good tasting meat in quantity that is convenient to take to work and eat at supper.  Obviously I eat to much bread, the mayo in my chick salad has to go, and of course the soda.  I will also have to experiment w/ fish.

Remember, its spelled WEEKend, not WEAKend.  Keep pushin.

Current Challenge 

KH1- 5 star desk 

KH2 - Exercise everyday 

Wt - 168.8 

Snack last night after log in - none

Breakfast - protein shake 

Lunch - salad

Dinner - sandwich, cheese curls, milk

Snack - 1 soda, soda + popcorn at movie 

w/o - 10min tread + pullups + stretch

Was my day a success? Yes. Completed all KH's. I'm going to start Paleo eating after I figure out some menus.  I'll start by eliminating bread after I figure out some lunch at work eating changes. Probably be a week or 2 before I add that KH.   Want to let KH6 sink in a bit more.  One habit at a time.

Current Challenge 

KH1- 5 star desk 

KH2 - Exercise everyday 

Wt - 168.8 

Snack last night after log in - nothing

Lunch - salad 

Dinner - salad, chick breast, milk 

Snack - 1 soda, soda + popcorn at movie 

w/o - wall climbing 

Was my day a success? Yes.  Kept all KH's.  Wt is inching down although thats not my primary focus (developing habits is my only measure of success).  Starting Paleo next weekend.  1st part will be KH6 - No grains or white potato products except on vacations.  1 habit at a time.  I'm going to run out of things to improve by the end of the year.  

Sore back tonight.  Suspect I pulled something during wall climbing.  Nothing major.

Current Challenge 

KH1- 5 star desk 

KH2 - Exercise everyday 

Wt - 169.2

Snack last night after log in - some walnuts

Breakfast - protein shake, hardboiled egg, strips bacon

Lunch - chick/egg sand, fruit/vegy bag

Dinner - salad, chick breast

Snack - 1 soda, 5 m&m's

w/o - blitz, increased reps on bench.

Was my day a success? Yes.  Kept all KH's.  Wt has been under 170 for over 3 days so wt has officially dropped 1.5lbs since I started 2 wks ago.   Can't wait for KH6 next Monday - No grains or white potato products except on vacations. Duhiggs system rocks.

Current Challenge 

Mar 10

KH1- 5 star desk - Started Dec 23

KH2 - Exercise everyday - Started Jan 1

KH3 - Manage home records - Started Jan 2

KH4 - Eliminate night time crap - Started Jan 14

KH5 - 1hr/wk job related training - Started Mar 3

Wt - 168.8

Dinner - salad, chick breast

Snack - 1 soda, 6 m&m's

w/o - 10min tread + 6pullups + stretching

Was my day a success? Yes.  Kept all KH's.  This morning was great.  New low on the wt for this year of 168.8.  Wt is dropping.  Been doing pullups daily.  Man they are a pain.  So hard to make progress on a pullup.  It will drop even faster next week when I start KH6 and eliminate toast, white potatos and grains.

Current Challenge 

Mar 11

Wt - 168.8

Dinner - salad, chick breast + 1 piece fo pizza

Snack - 1 soda, 6 m&m's

w/o - blitz

Was my day a success? Yes.  Kept all KH's.  But, I've got 2 changes I need to make.

1st, I'm overdoing the w/o's.  Doesn't feel like I'm physically overdoing it, but going to the gym 6 nights a wk - 3 high intensity (wt lifting + stretching) and 3 low intensity (tread + pullups + stretching) and wall climbing 1 day a wk is wearing on me mentally.  When I started  this, my intention was to get in a minimum of 5-6 good w/o's per week including my sport and use 1 or 2 placeholder w/o's just to keep my mind in habit mode.  Now its 6days/wk at gym and 1 day wall climbing.  Plus, I was just going to do 1 set of about 14 exercises during my blitz w/o and not go for wt increases.  Now I'm doing 3 sets each on my first 2 exercises (pull downs and bench) + increased wt on 3 other exercises.  I've also added pullups to my stretch days and increased treadmill time from 5min to 10min.  If I was an engine, I'd say I was red lining.  So I'm going to make the following changes -

1.  Force myself to use a placeholder w/o a min of 1 day/wk (but max of 2 unless sick)

2.  Keep the extra sets on pulldowns and benches, but cut out the woodchops.

3.  Eliminate the pullups on cardo/stretch days.  That changes my challenge (add pullups to cardo/stretching days), but my focus is on creating sustainable habits.

Second, I almost broke my cardinal rule of not making a  habit that I can't keep for a lifetime.  I was going to make my next KH "Eliminate bread, grains, and potatos except on vacations".  Did I really think I would not have cake on someones b-day for the rest of my life?  Or did I intend to never eat corn if I went to Famous Daves?  A habit is for a lifetime and needs to be worded in a manner I intend to keep no matter what.  So now, my next KH will be "No more than 3 times/wk will I have food out of the grains group (includes bread and corn) or white potatoes.  Still a huge step towards Paleo eating, but realistic enough that I can keep it.  Creating a habit for life requires that it be created in a way in which you absolutely intend to keep no matter what.  If you do not intend to keep it 100% of the time, then create it in a manner that you can keep it 100% of the time.

Oh yeah, did I mention my wt has dropped under 169 for 2 days in a row?  Bragging rights baby!

Current Challenge 

Mar 12

Wt - 168.2

Dinner - salad, 1 piece fo pizza

Snack - 1 soda, 1 m&m's

w/o - 10min tread + pullups + stretching

Was my day a success? Yes. Kept all KH's. Day 3 of being under 169 so that makes it an official drop.  So after saying I need to stop doing pullups on stretching days, I went ahead and did pullups.  Go figure.  Bought some almond spread tonight.  Going to try it.  I want to stop eating sugary peanut butter and I'm done w/ bread (and white potatoes) starting next Monday.  Hope I like it.  Thought spreading it on apple, celery, or banana would be a good replacement for my night time toast w/ PB and honey (all of which are high in sugar).  The only ingredient in the almond butter is almonds.

Current Challenge 

KH1- 5 star desk 
KH2 - Exercise everyday 
Wt - 169.0 
Snack last night after log in - pear w/ almond butter (tasted so/so) 
Breakfast - protein shake, hard boiled egg 
Dinner - salad, 1 piece of pizza 
Snack - 1 soda, 5 m&m's 
w/o - blitz (cut out the wood chops) 

Was my day a success? Yes. Kept all KH's. 169.0lb this morning. That's OK, I expect some noise even while I'm dropping. Dropped the 1set of woodchops from routine to compensate from adding 2 sets to both my bench and pulldowns. Switched to front pull downs rather than behind the neck pulldowns based on some things I read. Next weeks KH will be eliminating bread and white potatoes except for 1 time/month. Have to leave room for the occasional roast on bread and potatoes all covered in gravy. Keeping the other grains for now as I'm not completely sold on no beans. Need more research.

Current Challenge 

KH1- 5 star desk 
KH2 - Exercise everyday 
Wt - forgot to weigh in 
Snack last night after log in - 1 popcorn + soda 
Lunch - skipped 
Dinner - salad, bacon 
Snack - 1 soda, 5 m&m's 
w/o - placeholder (walk in woods) 

Was my day a success? Yes. Kept all KH's. Used a placeholder for w/o. Just a short walk in the woods. Why is it that I stretch 6 days/wk, do burpees and floor to above head presses during wt lifting nights 3 times/wk, but installing a shower fan today makes the sides of my back hurt. Thats when you know you are getting old.

Current Challenge 

KH1- 5 star desk 
KH2 - Exercise everyday 
Wt - 176.2 
Breakfast - protein shake, bacon
Lunch - 1 piece bacon
Dinner - salad, grilled chicken
Snack - 1 soda, 5 m&m's 
w/o - 10min tread + pullups +  stretch

Was my day a success? Yes. Kept all KH's. Felt good to see another drop in wt this morning.  Back is sore.  Doesn't feel like pain you get when you over lift or lift wrong.  At first I thought I just twisted wrong or something Sat when I installed a bathroom vent fan.  Now I suspect the change in the way I do pulldowns.  Friday I switched from behind the next pulldowns to front pulldowns.  The pain started Sat.  Its kind of towards the outside of the back and mid height.  Might be the lats.   

Current Challenge 

Mar 16

KH6 - No sandwich bread (including buns) at home or work.- Started Mar 16

Wt - 167.2

Lunch - burger (no bun), fruit/vegy bag 

Dinner - salad, grilled chicken, milk 

Snack - 1 soda, 5 m&m's 

w/o - blitz 

Was my day a success? Yes. Kept all KH's. Another nice drop on wt this morning. Down to 167.2.  Started KH6 today.  Decided to keep it simple.  No more sandwich bread at home or at lunch at work.  That includes buns.  Wording it that way still allows me to eat fast foods on vacations which I don't care about.  Cuts out about 95% of the bread in my life.  Do not need a cue card for this one.  The bread won't get bought so it won't be sitting on top of the fridge for me to grab anymore.  My family eats white bread which I can't stand so no problem there.  Habit made, habit done.  Nothing gonna stop me, theres nothing that strong.

Current Challenge 

Wt - 166.6

Snack last night after log in - 1/2 apple, almond butter, walnuts 

Snack - 1 soda, 3 

w/o - 10min tread + pullups + stretch

Was my day a success? Yes. Kept all KH's. Yet another nice drop on wt this morning. Down to 166.6.  Easily had no bread today.  Pretty easy when there isn't any.  Bought  bag of chopped walnuts and bag of chopped pecans.  Going to start eating some nuts w/ a fruit late at night after workout.

Current Challenge 

Mar 18

KH1- 5 star desk 
KH2 - Exercise everyday 
KH6 - No sandwich bread (including buns) at home or work. 
Wt - 166.8
Snack - 1 soda, 3 m&m
w/o - blitz

Was my day a success? Yes. Kept all KH's. No bread (new KH).  Getting some back pain again.  Last time it was cause I started increasing the speed on the treadmill.  As soon as I backed off the speed, pain went away.  Lately I've been keeping the same slower speed, but increasing the time from 5 to 10min on my stretch days.  Pain is back.  However, the other thing I did (which was right before the first hint of pain on Sunday) was switch to front pulldowns from behind the neck pulldowns.  Not sure which it is.  Going to back down the time on the treadmill to 5min and see if that solves it.  My back just might not like treadmills.  Neither does the rest of me for that matter.  Very boring.

Current Challenge 

Just read your log. You're awesome!

Sometimes we do overdo the workout aspect of life change, but you've noticed it and seem to be working towards fixing it, well done.

I like the idea of place holders. Something to think on.

Thanks Seven.  Just the knowledge of having the placeholder is usually enough to get me to do a regular w/o.  Once I decide to do a placeholder, I figure I might as well get in a real w/o.

Current Challenge 

KH1- 5 star desk 

KH2 - Exercise everyday 

KH6 - No sandwich bread (including buns) at home or work. 

Wt - 167.0 

Snack - 1 soda, 5 m&m 

My diet is very repetitive

w/o - 5min tread + pullups + stretch

Was my day a success? Yes. Kept all KH's. No bread (new KH). Back is stiff but not hurting as much.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

Wt - 167.0 again 
Snack last night after log in - 1/2 apple, nuts 
Dinner - salad, milk 
Snack - 1 soda, 5 m&m 
w/o - blitz 

Was my day a success? Yes. Kept all KH's. Got my 1hr of work training in (KH5). No bread (KH6). Back is stiff but not hurting as much.  One day a week habits are more difficult to keep than everyday habits.  You tend to keep putting them off.  Going to try to move getting KH6 up a little earlier in the week to allow time to get it done in case of a super busy schedule.  Closing in on a solid 3  months of everyday exercise.  Kept every habit since their inception date. 

Current Challenge 

Mar 21

Can't copy and paste all my KH's cause I can't get into google chrome tonight.  For some reason, copy and paste don't work for me in IE.

Kept all KH's.  Did my tread + pullups + stretch routine today.

I often way myself at night cause I find it interesting how much I lose in wt over night.  Tonights wt is 167.8 which my I have a shot of being under 166 in the morning.  Wt is definitely dropping. 

Current Challenge 

Wt - 166.2 

Snack last night after log in - popcorn + soda 

Lunch - salad 

Dinner - 10 bites of spaghetti 

Snack - 1 soda, 5 m&m, popcorn + soda

w/o - placeholder (10 squats)  

Was my day a success? Yes. Kept all KH's. Back was stiff.  Decided to force myself you use a placeholder and give the body a break.  10 freebody squats.  At the end of the night I weighed 167.0.  Since I normally lose slightly over a pound, pretty sure I'll be in the 165's tomorrow.  Gonna be some wooting when that happens!

Current Challenge 

Wt - 166.2 again

Snack last night after log in - popcorn + soda, 1/2 apple + almond butter 
Breakfast - protein shake, hard boiled egg. 
Dinner - salad, 10 bites of spaghetti 
Snack - 1 soda, 5 m&m's 
w/o - 1/2 blitz w/o 

Was my day a success? Yes. Kept all KH's. After almost 3 months, I need to change my w/o. I only did 1/2 of my blitz w/o tonight, my mind just wasn't in it. Might try a kettle bell routine or a strength routine. Probably kettle. Thinking of using a personal trainer once at the gym just to help me setup a routine. My mind is just burnt out on doing the same routine repeatedly. 

Current Challenge 

Wt - 165.8 yeah! 

Snack last night after log in - 1/2 apple + almond butter 

Breakfast - protein shake, hard boiled egg. 

Dinner - salad, spaghetti 

Snack - 1 soda, 5 m&m's 

w/o - 5min tread + pullups + stretch

Was my day a success? Yes. Kept all KH's. Been getting worn down mentally from my high intensity w/o's so I've decided to slightly reduce the intensity for one month to let my body kind of catch up.  I'm also changing some of the exercises I'll be doing.  Low intensity nights will remain the same (tread + pullups + stretching.  High intensity workouts will look something like this, but might be tweaked:

5min tread

bench 2x10  + 1x5  will not go to failure as I have been

pulldowns 2x10 + 1x5  will not go to failure as I have been

seated lat pull 1x10

overhead press 1x10

crunches 1x13

pushups 1x10

clean and press w/ behind the neck curl using 35lb plate 1x10

incline situps 1x10

forward bend no wt 1x10

hand clench 1x15 w/ 90lb plates

stretch

I'll refer to it as blitz2

Been thinking of creating KH7.  Something to make me a better person.  Create habit of finding 1 out of the way nice thing to do for someone or donate $5 to a worthy cause each week.  Duhiggs system rocks.  It's great to have the knowledge that I can make any change I want and make it automatic.  Hope I can get someone to try this.  Once you start, you'll never want to stop.  No more restarts, respawns, do overs, u-turns, etc.  You focus on 1 thing at a time until its a permanent habit, then create another.  Some habits take a short time to embed, others a long time.  But using the cue/routine/reward loop makes each habit as automatic as brushing your teeth.  I don't consciously decide each morning to brush your teeth.  And now I don't consciously decided to do any of the KH's (keystone habits) I've created.  Plus, each habit is like a plant.  The plant is the habit, but the roots spread out and affect other areas of your life.  

Current Challenge