Recommend a podcast?

My job is largely mindless so I listen to lots of podcasts.  I'm always looking for something new to listen to.  So, what podcast do y'all listen to?  I currently listen to:

• Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me
  • This American Life
  • The Nerdist
  • Hiyaa Podcast (about martial arts, especially Kung Fu)
  • Co-optional Podcast

Level 5 Shapeshifter Monk

STR 10.75   :   DEX 7.5  :   STA 8.5   :   CON 5   :   WIS 7.5   :   CHA 7

Challenge: I am an Avenger

Past: 1st, Draugr, Super-hero, Rocky

A soon-to-be married Kung Fu enthusiast  

I have a couple that I can recommend:

Sawbones: this is a medical history podcast put together by a comedian and his doctor wife. They go into all kinds of historical medical practices, from trepanation to hangover cures to medical cannibalism. The stories are funny and you usually learn something cool.

My Brother, My Brother, and Me: same comedian as above, but with his two brothers. This is a write-in advice show, and they give terrible advice to both people who write in and Yahoo Answers. Very very NSFW, but you can get away with it if you have headphones.

StarTalk: Neil DeGrasse Tyson talking science. Awesomeness is had.

• Like 1

"Whether or not you can never become great at something, you can always become better at it." -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

"I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine." - Neil Armostrong

Current ChallengeCrossFit Open Profile

JoeRoganExperience: Daddy of all awesome podcasts! Dude literally altered the trajectory of my life. joerogan.net

Hardcore History: If you like history this one is amazing dancarlin.com Dan explores some very interesting angles of history such as History of Slavery, Use of drugs in the past, Morality of A-bomb drop in 1945(Mindblowing!) as well as narrative histories. My fave series are Ghosts of the Ostfront, Fall of the Roman Republic, and the abovementioned topics.

Sin and Solace:  Pretty cool fictional story.  "Jeremiah “Sin†Sinclair is an assassin, employed by a company known only as “The Corporation.†Join him and his best friend, Trevor “Solace†Solento, as they complete a long journey..." http://sinandsolace.podomatic.com/

ArtofManliness: Great site, great podcast!  artofmanliness.com

• Like 1

Level Zero Elven Assassin

Esto vir fortis!

Hardcore History: If you like history this one is amazing dancarlin.com Dan explores some very interesting angles of history such as History of Slavery, Use of drugs in the past, Morality of A-bomb drop in 1945(Mindblowing!) as well as narrative histories. My fave series are Ghosts of the Ostfront, Fall of the Roman Republic, and the abovementioned topics.

History Under The Influence was a great episode.

• Like 1

PR's

5k - 21:29

10k - 47:26 43:29

21.1 - 2:05:26 1:44:21

I'd second the recommendations for Freakonomics, Hardcore Histories (especially the A bomb episode, and the one about the Munster Anabaptist rebellion), and Welcome to Nightvale. F and HH you can start wherever you like, but I think with WtN it's worth starting from the beginning.

Amazed no-one's mentioned Serial yet, though perhaps that goes without saying. Fascinating, notwithstanding worries about real life crime as entertainment.

Also... Invisibilia, a series of shows about invisible forces that affect human behaviour.

The BBC have a lot of good podcasts - I'd particularly recommend BBC World Service Documentaries, and popular science show The Infinite Monkey Cage (a bit smug at times, but still worth a listen).

Also from the UK....

The Bugle - my favourite satirical/political comedy with John Oliver (now of Last Week Tonight) and Andy Zaltzman. Tends to focus on UK and US stuff, but also international affairs.

No Such Thing as a Fish - a podcast spin off from the TV series 'QI' (Quite Interesting) this is a discussion of their favourite facts they've found in the last week

Answer me this - Helen, Ollie, and Martin answer reader's questions on anything from factual stuff to ethical/personal dilemmas

• Like 1

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

I have no clue what your music taste is, but maybe any of the Indiefeed podcast series might be your taste. Also, they have poetry series (if you're into that stuff).

• Like 1

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

I just tried the Pilot episode of "Welcome to Night Vale."  I liked it.  Funny, surreal, and kind of creepy.  I think I'll continue listening to it.

I have also started listening to the Still Untitled podcast.  It is a podcast where Adam Savage from Mythbusters and friends just chatting about a topic.  I recommend that one as well.

Level 5 Shapeshifter Monk

STR 10.75   :   DEX 7.5  :   STA 8.5   :   CON 5   :   WIS 7.5   :   CHA 7

Challenge: I am an Avenger

Past: 1st, Draugr, Super-hero, Rocky

A soon-to-be married Kung Fu enthusiast  

I'm really glad you enjoyed it.  Night Vale welcomes all new citizens, and advises them not to approach the dog park.

That and talk about Carlos' hair

• Like 1

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

Freakonomics

Here's the Thing with Alec Baldwin

Barbell Shrugged (at least some of them)

the Tim Ferris Podcast - especially any episode with Kelley Starrett

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Have you listened to The Tobolowsky Files? That's one I really like. It's with Stephen Tobolowsky, whose name you might not recognize but whose face will make you go "Oh, it's that guy!" I recommend starting at the first one. http://www.slashfilm.com/introducing-a-new-film-podcast-the-tobolowsky-files-episode-1-sex-death-and-halloween/

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

JoeRoganExperience: Daddy of all awesome podcasts! Dude literally altered the trajectory of my life. joerogan.net

Haha. How did it alter your trajectory? I've only heard a few, and I'm not enjoying it much. The one with Bas Rutten was great though.

Freakonomics

Here's the Thing with Alec Baldwin

Barbell Shrugged (at least some of them)

the Tim Ferris Podcast - especially any episode with Kelley Starrett

Barbell Shrugged to me is a hit or miss. Most times it's just a bunch or bros broing out. The latest one however with Jim Wendler was pretty good.

• Like 1

Haha. How did it[Joe Rogan Podcast] alter your trajectory? I've only heard a few, and I'm not enjoying it much. The one with Bas Rutten was great though.

He's basically how I ended up here. I listened to a few podcasts with Aubrey Marcus from Onnit and Dave Asprey of Bulletproof exec on Human Optimization, and during the course of the podcasts they talked alot about the research that has gone into epigenetics, self impovement, etc. I was in a kinda bad place mentally, and Rogan's admonition to "just be yourself, and try to make yourself better everyday" really hit home with me. I started training for ninja warrior, doing parkour and rock climbing, and was looking for some bodyweight training stuff when I ended up here.

Also, he's had some guests that prompted new hobbies and areas of interest, as well some science badasses like Michio Kaku and Neil Degrasse Tyson. I actually don't listen to his fighters or comedian podcasts.

Level Zero Elven Assassin

Esto vir fortis!

Girl on Guy (Aisha Tyler)

Doug Loves Movies

Good Mythical Morning

Harmontown

Planet Money

Still Untitled: The Adam Savage Project

Ted Talks

The Smartest Man in the World (Greg Proops)

WTF with Marc Maron

The Tod Glass Show

BBC Discovery

Those are the ones currently in my podcast rotation. I like to listen to podcasts during work, it helps me focus whereas music can be distracting.

Nothing is older than yesterday  | Inspired to be better by my baby girl  |  DPS in game and IRL  

Main Goal: 205lbs to 170lbs Current: 180lbs

Daily Battle Log

I listen to a great one on science, reason and critical thinking called "Skeptics with a K". It's quite irreverent, but they do take the stuff seriously underneath the banter, terrible jokes and so on. Some bad language on occasion, but not gratuitous.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/