Laughingwarlock's Training Log

Today was a bit of a light day! I took a nice leisurely mile jog then did the following sets using two 25 lb dumbells

15, 15, 15 bicep curls
25, 15, 15, two arm triceps extension
12, 12 single arm triceps extension

I downloaded a certain app this morning that trains people to run 5k's and I was excited to give it a try, Unfortunately it had no actual way to measure the distance you travailed or the number of steps you take. This makes it essentially useless so I deleted it. Once I save up some money I need to upgrade my phone so I can get Zombies, Run! working again

Workout Log is here ======> CLICK ME!!!

NO CLICK ME!!! <====== Previous Challenge is there

Also, this is my current theme song

First off, that's a pretty impressive Goku pic you got there. Good luck with your fitness goals!

I use Nike Plus for running. It's free, tracks your distance, and records run times. While it doesn't track your steps, I think it's a great way to train for a 5k/10k. Plus it calculates the approximate calories you've burned and averages out your pace. If you have the Nike Fuel Band the app syncs with that so you would know your step count, but if you're looking to train then I wouldn't spend the money on it (besides the fact that the FitBit is probably a lot better). 

Don't know if you were planning on upgrading to an iPhone, but the new IOS update includes the app "Health" that automatically tracks your steps without having to open it. 

• Like 2

"If you die, you die. A man must constantly exceed his level." - Bruce Lee

Thanks for the feedback smazzon1! I actually considered getting a fitbit, but since I do a lot of martial arts training I wouldn't be wearing it during my favorite workouts to avoid getting it damaged. I do appreciate the tip on Nike Plus though! I'll download that tonight much appreciated (edit: I need to upgrade my phone for that too it looks like oops)

I do plan on upgrading my phone in the future though and appreciate the tip on health  :orange:

It's another easy day while I visit my grandmother in North Carolina. I'm kind of on my own down here so I'm just trying to condition myself a bit for when I get back to go hard at a dojo and have fun doing it.

Today I did three 5 minute rounds skipping rope

Put on my 20 lb weighted suit (gloves, ankle weights, chest vest) and pushed my car in neutral up and down the driveway 10 times

Took that off and two sets of 50 sit ups

I need that peer pressure! I need somebody next to me doing better than me at the thing I'm doing right now to get me fired up. Until Saturday I'm just hanging with my grandmother, to whom I'm a superhero if I can lift a gallon jug of milk  :playful:

Today my aunt and I took a hike to the top of Crowder's Mountain! It's a great spot and every time I'm down in North Carolina I make sure to go at least once. The view on top is incredible and there's a part of the climb where you have to climb a set of steep wooden steps so it's great cardio. My calf muscles were still a bit soar from my cross-fit experiment pushing the car up and down the driveway but I'm so glad I did. Then I came home, grabbed my two 25 lb dumbbells and did the following

15, 15, 15, 15 bicep curls
25, 15, 15, two arm triceps extension
12, 12 single arm triceps extension
15, 12, 10 Palms-In Alternated Shoulder Press
15, 10, 10 Wide Row

My form for doing back workouts with dumbbells has always been a weak point of mine but I think I may be on the verge of a breakthrough!

It's been a while so I wanted to check in.

Tuesday I went on a hike with my mom, Wednesday I went to a Karate trial class and wasn't too impressed with the dojo, and Thursday I went to a Krav Maga class and was REALLY impressed with the dojo and based on new places I've gone am most likely to continue there. That being said, I've got an hour commute with a lot of places in between my home and my job, so I'm going to make the most of it and give all of them a try.

I've also been keeping track of how much I've been walking and doing the hobbit walking challenge listed on this site. I'm only 3.2 miles into it, but still! ( To make it authentic I'm only counting it when I'm on nature trails )

I've got a bit of a drive in store for me today so I'm going to do that full body workout which was sent out in the Nerd Fitness Emails. As I get settled into my new job this workout journal is going to become more regular. Probably by the time the next challenge rolls around. Can't wait for that!

Hit the gym today! Going to start recording what I do there again since when I make a habit out of wining it I usually fall into bad habits of neglecting muscle confusion, killing time until my playlist is up, and other un-Goku like activities. So here we go! Today's workout:

Rolled Ball uneven pushups: 10 on each hand, 10 on each hand

Tricep wing on bench: 25 lbs - 20 reps, 30 lbs - 15 reps, 12 reps, 12 reps

Standing Dumbbell Reverse Grip Curl: 25 lb - 10 rps, 20 lbs - 10 reps, 12 reps, 12 reps, 12 rps holding that last rep

Reverse Grip Triceps Pushdown: 70 lbs -15 reps, 80 lbs -12 reps, 8 rps holding that last rep

Preacher Curls: 30 lbs each side - 20 reps, 35 lbs - 12 reps, 8 reps

Overhead tricept dips one handed: 20 lbs - 8 reps on each side, 15 lbs - 10 reps each holding that last rep

5 minutes of cardio on the stationary bike

Alternating Dumbbell Press: 20 lbs - 12 reps each side, 9 reps each side, 6 reps each side

Front Dumbbell Reps: 15 lbs - 12 reps each side, 12 reps each side, 10 reps each side

45 lb Plate Shoulder Shrugs: 15 reps. 12 reps holding that last one, 12 reps holding that last one

Took advantage of another free trial class today at a dojo in Salem. These guys really know how to hammer home the basic fundamentals of Krav and I really like their facilities / teachers. The only problem I have with them is that even though they offer a lot of classes during the week... it's still pretty pricey ($179 a month plus $150 -  $200 for equipment). The class was amazing though and if I saved up the cash it would be worth it no question. They signed up another student that night though so I wasn't too worried about not being completely sold on the place just yet.

Hit the gym again! Some old ladies ask for help crossing the street. Other old ladies ask for help adjusting the machine so they can do cable rows. And that's how Planet Fitness is cool sometimes.

Alternating Front / Side Deltoid raise: 20 lbs - 6 reps - 17.5 lbs - 10 reps, 5 reps 15 lbs - 10 reps, 6 reps - 10 lbs- 10 reps

Arnold Seated Dumbbell Press: 20 lbs - 12 reps, 8 reps, 8 reps.- 17.5 lbs - 9 reps (Note to self: Take extra care not to flatten out your wrist and support some of the weight)

45 lb plate shoulder shrugs: 16 reps holding that last rep, 14 reps holding that last rep

Bent Over Low-Pully Side Lateral: 30 lbs - 10 reps - 20 lb - 8 reps, 6 reps, 5 reps, 4 reps

Dumbbell Rows: 20 lbs - 12 reps, 12 reps, 12 reps (Note to self: make sure to use your hand as a hook and not a tight grip)

Seated Cable Rows: 85 lbs - 12 reps, 12 reps, 10 reps holding that last rep, 8 reps holding that last rep

5 minutes of cardio on the bike

And then... DEADLIFTS!!!! I've never been very good at these so I decided to practice them during my end of the workout playtime. Took extra care to keep my back straight, not roll my shoulders back or extend my hips, keep my arms straight, do the full motion, and keep my hips slightly higher than my knee. My form wasn't perfect, but it was all right. Did 10 reps at 70 lbs, 10 reps at 80 lbs, and 10 reps at 90 lbs.

And... in the interest of making progress before the one month challenge coming up... I'm posting a rather unflattering photo of myself and how much I let myself go this past winter.  RAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHHHH this time last year I was 30 lbs less than that. Hold me to this people! I'm going to post a photo of myself once this challenge is over and I'm going to make inSAIYAN level improvements.

post-37689-0-02817700-1428770534_thumb.j

Also I walked seven miles today

Today I took a walk to the top of the Blue Hills in Norwood, MA and covered 6.3 miles! It was super pretty at the top and there's the big watch tower that lets you see Boston from a distance.

11156358_10100300771847699_1607696609391

Note to self: The lake here also has a beach which allows swimming. TOTALLY coming back here in the summer to do that.

Today I went to an hour and a half of muy thai classes. I had a good one on one session with the instructor there and we went over a lot of the basic movements to iron out crosses, jabs, hooks, uppercuts, kicks, and kipps.

Notes:

• When punching, use the body. The arms can do a lot but not enough without the body going into strikes. Place the head behind the shoulder for protection
  • Thai kicks are focused on a downward arc. It's more pulverizing. The shoulder and the hip should be on the same axis. It's not like a roundhouse kick which strikes out but instead is more like an axe kick which flings the leg in an arc. STRIKE WITH THE SHIN.
  • Hooks are like stirring a pot in their motion. Keep that elbow up.
  • Uppercuts and hooks have the same movement in the waist.

Yoooo so I decided to lift today as well.

Seated Cable Rows: 115 lbs - 12, 10, 8, 6, 4

Dumbbell Bench Pess: 12, 10, 8, 6, 4

Lat Pulldown Bar: 130 lbs - 12 reps / 115 lbs - 12 reps / 100 lbs - 12 reps / 85 lbs - 12 reps / 70 lbs - 12 reps

Medicine Ball Pushup: 5 on each side, 4 on each side, 3 on each side, 2 on each side, 1 on each side

Bike: 5 minutes

Elevated Dumbbell Press: 25 lbs - 12, 8, 6, 4

Dumbbell Rows: 30 lbs (reps done on both side) - 12, 10, 8, 6, 4

Low Angle Cable Pulls: 30 lbs - 12, 10, 8, 6, 4

Deadlifts: 130 lbs - 12, 10, 8

Oh hey.  You're here.

I have a photo I took in Japan that I need to send to you.  Should upload that.  Because the Nerd world at large should also see.

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Oh hey.  You're here.

I have a photo I took in Japan that I need to send to you.  Should upload that.  Because the Nerd world at large should also see.

Sounds good dude! Feel free to upload it, text it, whatever works! Hope your trip went well

Been off the site for a while. Some real big personal stuff went down. Back and working out again to stay sane keep an even keel.

Seated Cable Rows: 115 lbs - 12, 10, 8, 6 Holding that Last Rep

Dumbbell Bench Press: 30 lbs - 12, 10, 8, 6, 4

Lat Pulldown Bar: 100 lbs - 12, 10, 8, 6

Medicine Ball Pushup: 5 on each side x 3

Bike: 5 minutes

Elevated Dumbbell Press: 25 lbs - 12, 10, 8, 6

Dumbbell Rows: 30 lbs (reps done on both side) - 12, 10, 8, 6, 4 Holding that last rep

Low Angle Cable Pulls: 30 lbs - 12, 10, 8, 6

Deadlifts: 130 lbs - 10 reps

Doubled up on a Muy Thai and Jiu Jitsu Class today. Goooood stuuuuuff.

So it's been a while. Here's some of the points I need to re-hammer home when practicing Muy Thai:

• Muy Thai is very much a martial arts where it's important to stay far away from your opponent and use the space that the strikes give you. It's all very distance friendly.
  • The guarding system is still something I very much need to get a better feel for. The lifting the legs and where to keep the arms is very new to me. Probably one of the hardest things to transfer over.

I am getting the hang of striking with the shins of my knees though. I have to say it makes a lot of sense.

Jiu Jitsu was a lot more laid back since so few people came. Spent a lot of time rolling with this one guy and hammering home the instincts and fundamentals.

Like I said. Gooooood Stuuuuuuff.

• Like 1

In the city hanging out with my dad these past couple days. We shot some basketball yesterday and did a light yard workout today (my first)! It's really cool and a lot of the people out there are in really good shape. I might try to write down a complete workout today and go through with a heavy duty yard workout tomorrow.

Seated Cable Rows: 115 lbs -12, 10, 8, 5, 3

Dumbbell Bench Press: 30 lbs - 12, 10, 8, 6, 4

Lat Pulldown Bar: 115 lbs - 12, 10 / 100 lbs - 8, 6, 4

Medicine Ball Pushups: 5 each side, twice (total of twenty)

Bike 5 minutes

Elevated Dumbbell Press: 25 lbs - 12, 8, 6, 4

Dumbbell Rows: 30 lbs - 12, 10, 8, 6, 4 on each side

45 lbs Plate Shoulder Shrugs: 12, 10, 8, 6, 4

Pull Up Machine: 110 lbs - 12, 10, 8, 6, 4

6c483f3b6212dc8394fd5d981144f6fd.jpg

Seated Cable Rows: 115 lbs- 12,10, 8, 6, 4

Dumbbell Bench Press: 35 lbs - 12, 10, 7, 6

Lat Pulldown Bar: 115 lbs - 12, 10, 8, 6, 3

Medicine ball Pushups: 5 each side (twice)

Bike for Five Minutes

Elevated Dumbbell Press: 25 lbs - 12, 10, 8, 5, 3

Dumbbell Rows: 30 lbs - 12, 10, 8, 6, 4 on each side

Low Angle Cable Flys: 30 lbs - 12, 10, 4 on each side

Pull Up Bar Machine: 90 lbs - 12, 10, 8, 6, 4

Ab Machine: 90 lbs - 12, 10, 8, 6, 4

Russian Twists until Burnout: 28 done then 30 done

Plank for 1 minute

Hey so I didn't have time to write down my workout from yesterday. I was held up due to the fact that The Rock and Kevin Hart were shooting a movie TWO BLOCKS AWAY FROM MY HOUSE and I was standing nearby with 30 or so other rabid fans like the stalker I am. That man is jacked though.

Anyway, yesterday I doubled up in Muy Thai and Jiu Jitsu classes. Some notes from the classes I'd like to make are:

When preforming elbow strikes, keep your hands loose and don't curl them up into fists. When you tighten the fists, you tense your muscles and essentially add a layer of cushioning to your lower forearm. When you leave your hands open, you don't do that thing and instead end up striking with straight bone. I'm also having a little trouble with kicks again in this style. You need to use your leg like a whip almost while I'm used to cocking it and sending it out because of my Kempo background. I also need to keep in mind that Muy Thai is a distance game and you need to stay a bit far away. I'm getting better at that though.

And in regards to Jiu Jitsu, I have a basic concept for how to stay in control and not give it up when rolling with an opponent. I'm glad about that. What needs work though is actual ways to tap out your opponent. I have a kimora and I have one choke, but the situations where I can actually use those is very specific. I should probably look up some ways to add to my library. It had been a while since my last class, but the basics on how to break guard and move up without making yourself at risk came back to me, at least of one of the basic techniques. I need to practice the jiu jitsu warm ups as well because those are deceptively hard / calorie burning.

How goddamn close do you live to me!?

Seriously. Been driving by that set every day this week as I come home from the dojo (Since I pass right through Magoun square).

Sounds like you've been keeping busy, though. Workouts look pretty awesome, and I'm impressed at how well you write up notes about JJ and Muy Thai. That takes serious effort to translate things off the mat and onto a page. I've been told to keep a notebook of things learned and haven't because it's so difficult. Looks like you're just breezing through it thought!

Nice work!

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School