Ever had the feeling the universe is trying to tell you something?

For me, that was October 21, 2012.  I was 42 and just had a heart attack a mere 18 months after having had two strokes.  Somehow, I was both still alive and had suffered no long-term damage.  The universe was trying to tell me something - and with a (then) 6-month old son, this time I was going to listen.  Or so I told myself.

Let me back up for a moment...

On the Gabriel Iglacious scale, I've spent most of my life at "husky" with brief forays into both healthy and near-fluffy.  I'd also smoked since I was 18.  Mid-2005 I decided (again) to get myself back towards healthy, and by early 2007 I'd gone from 285 pounds to 225, from 30+% fat to near 10%, and I was strong.  My motivation had nothing to do with health, and everything to do with looking good naked.  "Well, this is awesome" I said to myself - and promptly stopped doing everything that had gotten me there.  Looking back, the day I ate most of a box of Krispy Kremes in the car before I even got them home was probably the end of that chapter.

Over the following few years I got married, bought a house, became a father, never exercised, and ate whatever I wanted.  Then I had a stroke or two.

They weren't like, "he's having a stroke!"  There were no defects.  April 2011 my right eye decided to do whatever it wanted, so I went to the eye doctor.  He told me to go to the ER.  If my wife hadn't been with me and heard him say that, I would have just gone home.  But no, to the ER we went.  A CT scan showed I'd had a stroke, and a followup MRI detected another, previous, stroke.  As it turned out neither had anything to do with my eye - muscle damage due to high blood pressure was responsible for that.

I was put on blood pressure meds, my eye went back to normal, and life went on.  I bought some equipment for my "home gym", but I didn't use it.  I still smoked, I still didn't exercise, and I still ate whatever I wanted.  I knew what to do to get myself "healthy", and that I could do it - I just didn't.

A few nights in the fall of 2012 I was woken by weird chest pain.  "Can't be a heart attack," I thought.  So each time I would just wait them out and go back to sleep.  Finally I mentioned them to my wife, who told me to wake her up next time (dammit!)  Then next time was different, worse, and I did.  To the ER we went.  Within hours I had a shiny new stent in one of the arteries of my heart, but otherwise I was fine.

The universe was trying to tell me something.  "I'm going to quit smoking" I said.  "I'm going to eat better" I said.  "I'm going to exercise" I said.

Well, I did one of those things - I quit smoking.  Actually I switched to electronic cigarettes and the occasional snus, essentially swapping an addiction that would kill me for an addiction that won't - I'm okay with that.  And to my credit I did start eating marginally better.  But I still didn't exercise, at all.

Fast forward to summer 2014.  My wife was pregnant with our second child.  I was 44 and no more healthy than before my heart attack, except for not smoking.  I finally realize that my state of health has ramifications beyond just myself.  I finally listened.

Since August I'm down 21 pounds of fat, up 15 pounds of muscle*, shrunk 5 inches on my waist, and most importantly now have a one month old daughter.  I still have a long way to go - but this time my motivation has nothing to do with looking good naked, and everything to do with my family.

Why am I here?  Back in the day I was somewhat active (for me) on a different fitness forum.  And while I still read the articles there, the community doesn't really fit my current goals and motivation.  I found NF a couple months ago, stumbling across the "how to do a pullup" article, and have lurked a bit.  I figure I should say "Hi".

(* Bioimpedance scale:  yes I know they aren't accurate, these stats are from averages not individual measurements)