[Warhammer Fantasy] The Thousand Thrones

Welcome to another Roleplaying-by-Post thread! I'm DarK_RaideR and I will be your Gamemaster for this long, hard journey into the grim world of Warhammer Fantasy

How to join

1. A fair amount of knowledge of the Warhammer Fantasy world is required, if you are to join. The story will not rely heavily on the players’ familiarity with the setting and clues/explanations will be provided, but you are expected to know at least some of the basic stuff

2. There are 5 career (class) categories available: Academic, Commoner, Criminal, Outdoorsman and Warrior. Each player must make a post and pick a category and a race (dwarf, elf, halfling or human). The category then becomes unavailable for others, so the party has to consist of 5 players maximum. Once you’ve picked your category and race, dice will be rolled and you shall be informed of the two careers available for you to pick. No other stats, character sheets or dice will be involved, the game is meant to be mainly narrative.

3. After each story post, you can write your RP using whatever format you like (bold, italics, colour etc) to differentiate it from out-of-character stuff. Once all 5 players have posted some RP, the story will resume so the pacing is mainly up to you.

4. To make up for the lack of rolls, certain mini-challenges will occur in some circumstances, mainly combat. These challenges may be optional or mandatory, something that will be clarified each time on the challenge description

5. Please note that in a world full of poverty, famine, disease, violence and mutation, there are nasty things around every corner. By joining, you understand that character... alterations and death are a real possibility, whether because of story or poor challenge performance. If you are not happy with your character though (or if faced with death) you can always switch to a new one.

• Like 1

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4)🕶️s, Cooking (7)🍳Fitness (2)💪💪,  Gourmet Cooking (3), Handiness (0), Media Production (6)🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬, Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1)📖 Video Gaming (3)🎮🎮, Wellness (2)

Players

Academic: Yusra "Yussie" Al-Khatabi, Human Scribe from Araby (played by shaarawy)

Commoner: Ziegel, Dwarf Rat Catcher (played by cn3wton)

Criminal: Sahra'a'Saif, Human Tomb Robber (played by ItsDaniel)

Outdoorsman: Kalomikai, Elf Outrider (played by kzacher)

Warrior: Lanric Krugen, Human Pit Fighter (played by Wolfenstein)

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4)🕶️s, Cooking (7)🍳Fitness (2)💪💪,  Gourmet Cooking (3), Handiness (0), Media Production (6)🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬, Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1)📖 Video Gaming (3)🎮🎮, Wellness (2)

The latest world events

It is the middle period of the Emperor Karl-Franz’s reign and over a thousand years since the last major invasion of the forces of Chaos from the North. The Empire teeters on the brink of collapse, having barely stood its ground against the invaders. The horrors of the recent Chaos Incursion, dubbed the Storm of Chaos, have left the lands of Sigmar reeling. The north is in ruin, cities smoking, corpses left unburied, and Beastmen, Mutants, and the remnants of Archaon’s army lurk in the shadows of these once great lands. Refugees inundate the western cities seeking food and protection, and the rippling effect of the great war can be felt at all levels of Empire society. Even the Cult of Sigmar is suffering great upheavals. In the early stages of the Incursion, the Grand Theogonist Volkmar led a force into the Chaos Wastes to defeat Archaon Everchosen before he could mount an offensive. Fearing the worst when he failed to return, the Cult scrambled to place another in Volkmar’s post and unite the peoples of the Empire beneath the banner of their faith. But then, in the midst of the fighting, Volkmar returned, apparently resurrected. Once the forces of Chaos were thrown back from the walls of Middenheim, the returned Volkmar laid claim to his title once more. The Cult of Sigmar is thus unstable, and new religious cults are formed almost daily. There’s a very palpable sense across the land that if the Empire recovers from this turmoil it will be a very different place.

The starting location and its history

The story begins in the city of Marienburg, the largest in the Old World and greatest of its ports, far more wondrous than even the city-states of Tilea. Straddling the mouth of the River Reik as it drains the mainland into the Sea of Claws, nearly all maritime trade that concerns Bretonnia and the Empire happens here. It is a place of great wealth and great opportunity. It is a place despised by the Empire, despite its reliance on the fabulous port city’s good fortunes.

The reason for this hatred stems directly from the great error, the mishap that led to Marienburg’s independence. Always on the fringe of Empire politics in the first place, the stirrings of rebellion had begun years before the city declared its independence. The people of this cosmopolitan city never had much use for the Sigmarite movement that had gained traction in the Empire and as that cult grew in power and influence, witch hunters spread through the lands, putting to the sword and torch any they suspected of consorting with the Ruinous Powers. In time, for religious, economic, and political reasons, Marienburgers grew to resent their countrymen. Their low opinion only worsened as corruption and decadence flowered within their ranks until many began to distance themselves from their Empire kin, looking for any way that the city could break from the Empire. This opportunity came during the Time of Three Emperors. Lacking a coherent leader, Marienburg asserted its autonomy, manipulating the tenuous balance of power to gain more independence than ever before, though still, the Empire held its unruly province in its grip.

Years later, after the Great War against Chaos, the Empire seemed to enter a new era of stability and grandeur with Magnus the Pious, renewing feelings of patriotism and hope in the people of Marienburg. But as with all things in the Old World, little lasts for long. The Elector Counts rejected Gunther, Magnus’s brother, in favour of the Grand Count of Stirland, Leopold Unfähiger, who promised to return power taken by Magnus during the previous Chaos Incursion back to the Elector Counts. Marienburg began in earnest to search for ways to break from the Empire permanently.

With a weakened throne, the Unfähiger emperors were forced to turn to other sources of revenue to prop up their claims. This process continued through a series of inept monarchs until Marienburg suddenly declared its independence from the Empire. Dieter IV refused to do anything about it, since he had accepted enormous bribes from the burgomeisters to allow the secession to occur unopposed. When the Elector Counts learned of this treachery, they convened a special council in 2429 to depose Dieter IV and elect the Grand Prince of the Reikland, who took the name Wilhelm III, in his place.

Marienburg’s independence was a significant blow since it was the largest port city in the Empire. Nearly all goods that came into the Empire by sea went through Marienburg. Losing the port meant losing the lucrative tariffs and control over what goods would reach the interior. The Elector Counts had pinned their hopes on Wilhelm III, believing he would muster the armies of the Empire and lay siege to the Wasteland. Wisely, Wilhelm resisted their pressures for he knew that a siege of the city would be even more disastrous, far too costly in terms of expense and lives, and he rightly feared that such an action would send ripples of unrest throughout the Empire, perhaps causing other provinces and city-states to break from Sigmar’s lands. With amazing diplomatic manoeuvring, he forged an alliance with Marienburg, ensuring the Empire could maintain a presence in the ports in exchange for a formal recognition of the Wasteland’s independence.

In the century that has followed, there is still a great deal of resentment in the Empire toward the Wasteland. Nobles accuse them of being traitors, while priests describe the city as a den of iniquity, where the people do not properly respect the Gods. Marienburg has become a scapegoat for many of the problems afflicting the eastern provinces and cities, and people are quick to look for a Marienburger plot, even where there isn’t one.

Oddly, despite the hostility reflected in some corners of the Empire, Marienburg is a popular destination for Old Worlders. In their eyes it is a fabulous place but one that is also somewhat familiar since Marienburgers are not that far removed from the rest of the Empire folk in terms of culture and attitudes. And yet, this city sees people from all over the world, boasting travellers from far-flung Cathay, Araby, and even, some say, mysterious Nippon. Thus, Marienburg throws open its doors and welcomes any and all who would walk its streets and sail its canals, for gold is gold, no matter who holds the coins.

Marienburg’s willingness to accept foreigners has diminished in recent months. With the cataclysm of the Chaos incursion, many people of the Empire abandoned their homes and fled west, hoping to escape the cruel swords and awful visages of Archaon’s rude legions. What began with a trickle soon became a flood, and the city was overwhelmed with the dispossessed and destitute, the unwashed masses of Empire fugitives who sought to find a new life in this city of promise. What these hopefuls found instead was the grinding poverty of the Doodkanaal, Marienburg’s poorest slum, for the upper-class and better off districts would never allow these filthy peasants into their homes. It was from these Empire citizens, pining for their former homelands, that the Crusade of the Child drew its strength and almost as quickly as the refugees came, they left, marching en masse back to the lands of their forefathers.

The Crusade and you

You are, whether willingly or having been pressed into service, assistants of a fairly well known and dangerous witch hunter named Roderick. Marienburgers are famously unhelpful when it comes to assisting the templars of Sigmar in their pursuit of divine justice and capturing runaway cultists and Mutants. Thus, most witch hunters don’t bother trying to co-opt the local law enforcement—the Black Hats—and instead bring along muscle of their own. That would be you. Having come to Marienburg to find a renegade wizard, the witch hunter was more than a little surprised to find the city giving birth to a new and fanatic cult of Sigmar called “The Crusade of the Child” which claims to have found Sigmar himself reborn as a child and marches to the capital, Altdorf, with unknown purpose. Since he’s committed to tracking down his refugee, the witch hunter ordered you to follow up on this mob and find out anything you can about the Crusade, its origins, and the identity and history of this boy.

Lvl 60 Multitasker

I Have Arrived

Welcome on board. What'll be your race/class combo?

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Human - Arabay - Criminal please

Nationality is not required and it is generally assumed that characters are Imperials, but I'll allow it since Marienburg is a cosmopolitan, international hub. You can pick to either be a

Grave Robber

The medical and magical professions create a constant demand for fresh corpses, and the difficulty of obtaining suitable specimens legally means that few customers enquire too closely into the origins of any cadavers they are offered. Grave Robbers make a living by supplying this demand and can often command high prices. The practice of stealing corpses from fresh graves is regarded with universal horror and wealthy families often invest vast sums in constructing burial places designed to foil the bodysnatcher. The poor, as always, have no such luxury. The mass graves in the paupers' section of many town cemeteries are an open target for Grave Robbers.

or a

Tomb Robber

Tomb Robbers differ from Grave Robbers in that they are interested in the valuables that might have been buried along with a body, rather than the body itself. Although very few burials in the Old World include valuable goods these days, there are many ancient burial sites which may contain treasure and the Tomb Robber's speciality is locating and plundering these sites. The richest treasures belong to the fabled tombs of Araby, but there are many less well-known tombs in the Old World. Often, places such as these are revered and protected by the local inhabitants, so the Tomb Robber must operate secretly or under cover of darkness. It is not unknown for rich tombs to have a number of traps and other devices to thwart Tomb Robbers and, to enjoy a long and successful career, they must learn to locate and disarm them. Few survive long enough.

Enjoy your digging, sir!

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Human - Arabay - Criminal please

damn beat me to the criminal

• Like 1

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

Elf - Outdoorsman

• Like 1

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

Elf - Outdoorsman

Your extra Ranger-ly options are

Outrider

Outriders are experienced fighting-men, employed to reconnoitre to the front and flanks of travelling parties and armies, keeping a lookout for possible attackers and other problems. Most base their skill on an intimate knowledge of the area through which they journey. They are expected to operate more or less independently of the party or army they serve and must be able to look after themselves and live off the land as they go. Occasionally they undertake long-range patrols along dangerous borders or troublesome areas, operating in the same way as a Scout and gathering information on potential hazards, troop movements, and other activity.

or

Seaman

Many folk depend on th sea. Fishermen, Traders, even some Kings. Seamen are the closest to the sea of all, though their lives - be it on a merchantman or a fighting ship - are harsh and often brutal. As a result, Seamen tend to be rather loud and brash and enjoy bragging, yelling, singing, and brawling, which can iritate other members of the public. They also get used to cheap liquor; any character following this career has a slight chance of being an alcoholic. As an experienced seadog, the Seaman is used to brawling and fighting on land and sea and sudden outbreaks of violence on ship or in dockside taverns happen with terrible frequency.

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Your extra Ranger-ly options are

Outrider

or

Seaman

i'll take Outrider :D

• Like 1

Fine! You got me.

Ill be a dwarf commoner. Cuz who doesn't want to be common?

Also I know a bit about warhammer but not a ton... so yea... if thats an issue my guy can get the plague or whatever. 

• Like 2

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

The dice gave you Rat Catcher or Servant. I'll edit this post with the fancy info quotes once I'm in front of a computer

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Count me in as human warrior

Mind you, I'm fairly new to warhammer, but I love writing and Rp'ing so I'm excited nonetheless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Class: Peerless Scarred/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 188#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Intro to Wolflean

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Man if I knew even an iota about the Warhammer universe I'd be on this like a duck on a junebug.

• Like 2

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

Man if I knew even an iota about the Warhammer universe I'd be on this like a duck on a junebug.

Go binge read some history on the universe for like 2 hrs and join in :)

• Like 2

Wild Wolf

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Spoiler

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

I'm antsy, Dark Raider :) what did the dice give me sir?

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Spoiler

I'm Init to win it.

Rat catcher. Lol

The Rat Catcher is a common sight everywhere in villages, towns, and cities, making a living by disposing of the vermin which infests all dwellings in this unsanitary age. Rat Catchers are often travelling folk, although in a large town or city settled 'vermin soldiers' may actually be employed by the authorities. Rats are their chief enemy, but a Rat Catcher will also be able to deal with moles, mice, and similar pests. It isn't a great life and many soon retire from the cellars and seek adventure in the clear air of the country... where they become favoured scouts among adventurers who poke around in caves and dungeons.

Probably the most iconic career in Warhammer Fantasy RPG. Comes in handy when the Skaven show up. Also famous (or is it notorious?) for including a "small, but vicious dog" amongst its starting equipment B)

Count me in as human warrior

Mind you, I'm fairly new to warhammer, but I love writing and Rp'ing so I'm excited nonetheless

Your picks are either

Militiaman

Throughout the Old World, armies are organizsed on a three-fold pattern. The Nobles provide an 'elite' volunteer force, Mercenaries are hired for professional 'muscle', and the Militiamen do all the hard work. Militias are part-time local defence forces, formed from the rural peasantry (only rarely are city-dwellers called up, although they may serve in the Watch, which may itself form a military body in time of war). All forms of local government are empowered to call up all able-bodied men and women to form the militia and the Militiamen are committed to spend a certain amount of time each year - usually seven days - training together on common land (this elementary training gives them some advantage). Militia leaders are either civil leaders or retired military types. Equipment is purchased and maintained by the local government body and so it can vary tremendously in quality from town to town. Some militias will be equipped almost to mercenary standards, while others may be no better off than the peasants.

or

Pit Fighter

In many parts of the Old World, combat to the death is still a popular form of entertainment. The cheapest form this takes is a one-on-one brawl in an enclosed ring or pit between two condemned criminals or prisoners of war. The fights can be hard and vicious, because Pit Fighters who manage to survive for any length of time pick up a lot of weapon training and, in some cases, enough money to buy their freedom. Also, there is a growing breed of professional Pit Fighters, men who do the job for the money and the sport, who are not just convicts. The sport attracts large audiences and much money changes hands through betting. Those few hardy souls who survive long enough to buy their way out nearly always end up as Outlaws, Bounty Hunters, or adventurers, where their formidable fighting skills and fearlessness makes them indispensible.

Go binge read some history on the universe for like 2 hrs and join in :)

My thoughts exactly. There's still an academic (a.k.a. potential spellcaster) slot left

• Like 1

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Maaaaan.. Pit Fighter all day! I'm digging the background of it.

• Like 3

Wild Wolf

Spoiler

My characters name is brick, his faithful dog is named dusty.

Borderlands reference of course.

• Like 4

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Soon as we kidnap find the academic of the group, I'll give you a brief description of each character's skills and equipment. Narrative, no rules involved, just to help you with the RP and give you an idea of how to deal with situations (other than "burn the heretic!"). Since it's Warhammer, human names are mainly Germanic, or Arabic in ItsDaniel's case, maybe a bit Dutch if your fellow is a local Marienburger (so cn3wton could call his guy Ziegel, which is "Brick" in German :P ). Also, take the time to think of a reason why a Witch Hunter would add you to his crew

• Like 2

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Is the idea that my dog can sniff out crime not enough? Lol.

And the translation works I guess.

• Like 3

My thoughts exactly. There's still an academic (a.k.a. potential spellcaster) slot left

So I've been researching most of the morning and now want to read all of the Warhammer books. Looks right up my alley.  Anyone have any thoughts on where to begin??

Dark and gritty = my jam.  Human academic if you'll have me!

• Like 3

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65