I'm a combat medic in the Army and ever since I blew someone's mind hole with brain knowledge, I was "Doc".  It's a title of trust, knowing that Doc is going to be there for them no matter the situation.  I'm the guy that carries around the bag of Motrin (because pill bottles make a loud, annoying rattle in my pocket).  I'm the guy that stops and gives you disgruntled answers after hearing "Hey Doc, quick question...".  I'm the guy that can plug your giant, gapping gunshot wounds and stop you from bleeding out on the battlefield.

But until a few months ago, I was also out of shape.  Unless you mean round.  Then I was a shape.

The change came when I was playing with my 9 month old daughter and I took a selfie.  I noticed how large I had let myself become.  I had used so many excuses, sympathy weight from my wife's pregnancy, no time for healthy eating, holidays... the list was endless.  Lucky for me, I have been trained on how to completely restart my life. 

So I did.

I've been lifting barbells powerlifting style for a few months now.  My numbers have skyrocketed, as is expected with a beginner.  I've levelled off and I'm making smaller gains now.  I also meal prep on Sundays.  Of course, with a full time active duty schedule (14 hour days are not uncommon) and a full time course load (hooray night school), along with full time husband and dad duties, things don't always work.  If you were counting, that is 4 full time things and I am alas only one person.  The changes have been positive overall, however, and they will continue. 

I come here because I enjoy the articles and the support this place seems to have.  I come here ready to pick up heavy things a effing smash them.  And I come here because my chicken recipes are wearing thin.

-Doc of 68 Whiskeys.

In vino veritas, in aqua sanitas.

Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify.

-Henry David Thoreau

There's a trick to it:

You either do it or you die.

Battle Log