Good Evening Rebels!

So, I have been battling a General Anxiety Disorder for the past 15 years.  About 5 years ago I started on a medication (Lexapro) which worked for about a year.  Then I switched to Effexor XR.  I noticed that there was a slow weight gain.  I originally attributed the weight gain to the fact that I had also started back to work at a law firm and did not have as much time to work out.  In 2012 I started running and training with a trainer.  I ran several 5ks, completed a Warrior Dash and finished my first half-marathon (on a broken foot) in 2013.  I felt great.  Until the broken foot.  I was still able to concentrate on upper body strength with my injury, but could not get in the cardio.  I let my exercise really drop off.  As well as my diet.

I joined NF and the Academy about a year ago.  I feel like I have found my people!  About 2 years ago, my weight (which had lessened) plauteaued; nothing I tried helped.  Cutting calories, more cardio, less cardio, more weights, less weights.  Nothing. Helped.  My primary care physician ran some bloodwork and nothing came back abnormal.

My anxiety then began to get incredibly out of control since my poor body image contributes to my anxiety.  Nine months ago I began seeing a new therapist who recommended I see a new doctor about my meds.  The new doctor increased the effexor dosage.  That took place at the very end of 2014, beginning of 2015.  Since that time, I have gained 10 pounds.  The only change was the meds.  Two weeks ago my doc finally agreed to let me wean off the effexor because it was actually making me worse because of the weight gain issue.  Thus, this seemed like a perfect time to respawn!

The last two weeks have felt fantastic.  I feel like a boulder has been lifted.  I run and workout with renewed gusto (it's still wicked hard), but I feel like I can actually make a difference!  My anxiety has been harder to tame, but I am working on it with my therapist.  

So yeah - here we go!  :)

• Like 1

Atlantean Ranger

Epic Quest Level 4

"Remember - I'm still the king of the Seven Seas!  And if I wish I can command all the creatures of the sea to attack you - at once!"

It is really a balancing act. We don’t really have a chance at physical health, if we are not mentally healthy. They are connected and a deficit in one affects the other.

Last September I was weaned off Celexa (Citalopram), after about 4 years being on it for anxiety and depression from PTSD. I had gained ~40lbs. My therapy had gone well but for me was 'time' [as you said] to make the change. Since then I have lost close to 30lbs. Every day is a new battle but the war is not over. I am happy with my progress in weight loss and excited to see improvements in my physical ability and appearance, but I admittedly fall short on the mental end . . . and it is because I didn’t have a mental fitness program.

I have realized you have to put forth the same if not more effort into your happiness as you do with your physical program.  Just as you plan your training in the gym, or a healthy meal plan, you have to plan on how to increase your mental strength and resilience.  The hard part is figuring out what this plan looks like for you, and then sticking to it. It is hard to plan an abstract to reach objective but it possible.

Keep up the fight and be proud of your accomplishments.

Weight-loss Goal (220lbs - 175lbs):

55%
65%

Composition Goal (24% - 17%):

57%
57%