As I write this opening post it is June 28th of 2015. I'm 35 years old and I've been training in the gym for a little less than half of that. It hasn't all been straight through, I took a couple regrettable breaks, and it most certainly hasn't all been correct. Even today, with something like a decade and half under my belt, it's not all correct or good. What it is though is the long road to success in the gym. 

In the last twelve months I set out to earn my Candidate Master of Sport in the Long Cycle. I knew when I set out that it wasn't a given that I would succeed but it was possible. I did the workouts to the best of by ability but sometime last winter things just kind of ran out of steam. I kept doing the work but stopped progressing. As a result when this season rolled around not only was I not on track to hit my goal but I was burnt out for months of doing the lifts but never having that little bubble of euphoria that comes with each PR. 

This battle log is a recommitment to my goal and also a resetting of methods. I didn't make my CMS this year but I'm not done. I'm still on the road to it and will hit it in 2016. To get there I'm going to ask for help though. Specifically, late this summer I'm planning on taking on an online coach, John Lesko. I don't know that he'll have any secret methodologies or anything but I think it's time I asked someone else to help manage my training for a bit since last year didn't go quite as planned. 

Beyond that it will be business as usual for me and I'm fine with that. 

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

001 (week 1)

Pillars

- food - I've been eating a lot of crap coming off of being sick. My goal for this week is to return to eating cleanly. I'm not going to count anything, simply try to bring myself back to the kind of eating that I know makes me feel good (fat, protein and clean carbs, in that order)

- rest - rest is good right now so no notes here

- work - returning to training this week. The idea is to not get sore and just get back to movements.

- play - gaming is extremely limited of late for a variety of reasons. My walking is down a bit so I'll work on excuses to bike or walk a bit more. not going to overly sweat this right now.

- life - Life is good. Clementine has ear infections but I'm treating these. Bernie and Laura are both healthy. I have two interviews this week and two next week. It's very freeing to have come out openly that I plan to leave. I don't have to conceal anything. The funny thing is that it has made me the go to guy for all the other people who want to leave Target but don't want to come out like I have. 

- body - I'm a little soft and doughy right now from bad food choices (see food above) but I have fewer aches and pains than usual. I'm looking forward to getting back to training and thinking I may try and integrate a little hypertrophy work for the next month just because I haven't done any in a while and it sounds like fun.

Training Plan

01 - kettlebell complex

02 - cardio, bodyweight complex

03 - long cycle 24 kg

04 - cardio, barbell work

05 - one arm long cycle 32 kg

Circuit 24 kg kettlebell

Swing 25/25

Goblet squat 1

Snatch 10/10

Goblet squat 2

One arm long cycle 20/20

Goblet squat 3

Standing press 10/10

Goblet squat 4

Row 10/10

Goblet squat 5

Turkish get up 1/1

2 rounds

Each round took about 10 minutes, rested one song between rounds. No rest during rounds

Still not eating on plan but improving. Yesterday I was craving a "seafood" and "crab" "salad" sandwich from Subway and thus had one (almost completely devoid of nutrition). Today I had a rice bowl and steamed bun. Tomorrow I need to eat my roasted root veggies and chicken thighs.

Today I had an interview for the only non-hospital job that I'm looking at. I went into it thinking that even if they like me I might pass on it but I had a lot of fun chatting with them and at this point, if they can pitch me a solid salary, I think I'd enjoy working with them. Barring that, three more interview this week and next so plenty of chances.

07/03/2015

Missed cardio day decided to move on

Long cycle 24 kg 4:00

Circuit

Back squat 80 kg 5->9 increase by 1 each set

Push ups 10->18 increase by 2 each set

Farmer walk 24 kg

5 rounds

I did a ton of dishes and didn't wait long enough so I pretty much immediately worked up a blister. That made me stop long cycle which was going pretty well.

I didn't do the 6th because as I started the last round of squats I was getting a message from my legs that they'd cripple me I. The morning if I kept going .

07/04

My sore throat flared up over the last night. I woke up about three with my throat so sore that I'd cringe each time I swallowed. I suspect the workout yesterday dried it ou so I'm taking today off for recovery. I hope to get I. Something. Tomorrow,

Food choices have been improving o re recent days. I still ha e some sweets cravings but not as bad as earlier this week.

I have three interviews over Monday an Tuesday. I feel like I should see an offer in the next week or so,

Looks like an impressive circuit. I'm excited to hear how it goes when you get a trainer.

On the sore throat- have you tried gargling with salt water? That seems to really help get rid of the gunk.  Good thing you guys already got tested for strep, with it being that sore, it sure sounds like strep. Just a nasty flu, I guess. Recover and feel better soon.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I opted for rest yesterday, vocal rest and non-medicated cough drops.

07/05/15

I wanted to keep it calm but felt the need to hit the gym. So I opted to keep it slow.

Breathing only through my nose (moisturizes air)

Barbell clean and jerk 80 kg 3x3

Barbell clean and jerk 60 kg 5x5

between every set I did kettlebell snatch 20 kg 10/10

nothing too serious but it scratched the itch without tearing up my throat.

Tomorrow will be off and game day, next week I'll try again to get back on track with training. Tuesday I have two job interviews, both look like they are a pretty good match. I would be extremely happy if we could come to an agreement on either of them.

My family are coming next weekend so that will throw me off for a day or two so I'll miss a workout (note to self, plan for session next week). The weekend after that is my 36th birthday.

Week 001 wrap up

This week was intended to be my first full week back after this bug I've had. That didn't work out. I got some work done but it was really only about half a week. Not much to be done but continue to try and improve and try again this week. I have formally reached out a a coach to do my programming for me going forward. We're in the initial stages but I'm optimistic that I can get the improvement train rolling again.

Pillars

- food - I definitely improved the quality of my food back towards where I like to be. I also successfully smoked/grilled two whole chickens for leftovers this week.

- rest - dragging today but overall very good

- work - not as much training as I had hoped but I got some things started and didn't cripple myself with DOMS after the long lay off

- play - much less than desired

- life - Other than still recovering from illness I'm pretty satisfied here 

- body - I had two conversations last week that, one with Laura and one with my massage therapist, that can be summarized as "don't try and go to 85 kgs, it's not reasonable". So I'm deciding to just hold steady between 200 and 210 for a while. 

Week 002 prep

training

01 - 24 kg long cycle, probably take two on the ladder I did last week

02 - cardio

03 - one arm long cycle, probably 32 kg with multiple hand switches

04 - 20 kg 10-12 minutes.

Glad you're starting to feel somewhat better.  Hope you get fully recovered soon.

Table Top covered a card game called Marvel Legendary and since I know a bunch of you like super heroes I thought I'd share it here. Also there is an Aliens version and they are working on a Predator version(yes you can mix them)

I have Legendary.  It's... meh.  Then again, the person I was played with in the past was more concerned about personally winning instead of just winning as a team.  So maybe I need to go back and play again with some more low key players.

That being said, Sentinels of the Multiverse is fantastic and I feel kind of what Legendary meant to aim for.

Now I need to play board games.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I sold my copy of Sentinels to the guy I know who own Legendary. They're both solid games but also each have their problems. Legendary can get screwed over by a bad random selection of henchmen and/or heroes like when they drew Venom at the beginning of their game and just knew he had to make it out because they had no heroes who could deal with him. I do enjoy the deck building aspect but uncooperative players can screw that up too. Sentinels is a fun adventure game but is fiddly and I've found it works best if one person sits out and just runs the game, GM like. I ended up playing that role and it's actually kind of fun but a little exhausting.

Just because it's usually mentioned in the same threads as the two above, I've also played DC deck builder. It's much more newbie friendly than either of the other two but the theme doesn't hold up as well (why is superman getting a bonus from the batmobile and Aquaman's trident?) and lacks depth. However, of the three it's the one you want if no one already knows the game.

Sentinels is a fun adventure game but is fiddly and I've found it works best if one person sits out and just runs the game, GM like. I ended up playing that role and it's actually kind of fun but a little exhausting.

This makes sense.  I've only played Sentinels with my roommate, who loves the game, and takes that role on very easily.  So I can sit back and enjoy.  And usually do terrible.  But still have a blast.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Welcome back :)

I look forward to seeing what John Lesko does with your programming! Can you tell me a little about him? How you came to pick him? I reckon it's a great idea to get some official help! I should really be doing the same, but i'm too stubborn.

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

John was featured in GS Planet (http://gsplanet.com/magazine/). He's a bigger guy like I am so I'm hoping that some of that experience translates. He also seems to be one of the few Americans who is seriously trying to contend on the world stage. I'm not really in that final camp but he seemed like a good person to draw from.

• Like 1

07/07/2015

long cycle 24 kg

5:00

4:00 rest

4:00

3:00 rest

2:00 See notes

3:00 rest

2:00

1:00 rest

1:00

TGU 24 kg 1/1 x 5

notes

• I came up short on the three minute set of the long cycles. I just couldn't convince myself to keep jerking that final minute. 
  • This workout was short based on a time crunch. We had to get groceries, pick up CSA box and I needed to clean out the fridge to swap everything in. So I didn't do a full strength set after the kettlebells. 
  • I had two job interviews today. The first was fantastic. We agreed on a salary but they aren't allowed to make me an offer until they interview the other candidates that they have lined up. The second was weird in that they had interviewed me before for a different position. They felt and I agree that position was a little beneath what I'm capable of but they don't have any openings for the role that they really want me in. So they wanted to try and shoehorn me into something that frankly isn't a great fit with the idea that when a developer position opens I'd have dibs. I wasn't feeling it and other than the manager who thought of it, no one else in the room was feeling it. During that interview I received a voicemail for an on-site at the children's hospital network that I'll do tomorrow. I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch but I'm optimistic that the first one will come through.

Nice work! 

First time I saw this magazine. It's great (because kettlebells) and horrible at the same time :D The language is just painful and the font + overview is terrible! But still, great stuff. John Lesko definitely seems like someone you can learn a lot from :) (I want to learn too, by proxy, so do share!)

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram