Why can't I just stay motivated?

I don't understand why my brain works the way it does. It knows that being healthy and working out is necessary for long term survival and happiness. However, instead it wants to take naps.

Yeah I have tons on my plate with school, clinical, and work. But that shouldn't be an excuse. I have a gym membership. Why can't I just go? Why does it have to be a battle with myself to go to the gym? It is a motivation problem I know. But how do I fix it?

• Like 1

Find what motivates you.

You have a ton of stuff to do (school, work, and clinical).  And you know the gym is good for you, but it isn't something you enjoy.  Given the choice between making yourself do something you know you need to do, versus something you *want* to do - you'll find good reasons not to do it.

Find something about the gym, or an exercise program, that you really enjoy.

As tired as we may be, we'll almost always find time and energy to do something we really enjoy.

I have some news you may not like.

There is no such thing as "permanent" motivation.  There is only what motivates you right now.

some people here (yours truly included) feel that motivation is overrated.  Most people do what they feel they "need" to do, not what they want to do.  This is the basis of that "be a robot / be Spock" technique, where you work out (avoid junk, wash the dishes, etc.) because you simply do not accept any other option.  You go to work, pay your bills, and feed your dog because it's important -- not because you feel like it.  You can take the same approach to exercise.

Ask yourself why you feel compelled to nap instead of going to the gym.  If you're actually tired, take a nap.  You probably aren't getting enough sleep.  On the other hand, if the reason you don't want to go to the gym is "it's too hard," then you can either give up, or work out at home, or get over yourself and betake your ass to the gym.  Yeah it's hard, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Maybe try finding something else that is more 'tangible' to motivate you.  Long term health and happiness is kind of a hard idea to really wrap your brain around.  What does that mean to you?  Is that losing five pounds this year or stopping drinking soda?  Do you want a six pack or to drop a pant size?  Maybe gain muscle mass or achieve a pullup?  Set a mini goal that appeals to you and then work towards achieving it.  For me, number goals or picture goals work pretty well.  I need something that I can visualise that is a bit more solid than "healthy".  These goals are part of my journey to being healthy, but the healthiness is a consequence of achieving other sub-goals.   

"Fairy tales are more than true not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten"  -Neil Gaiman

Mandalorian Assassin: Level 5

Current Challenge - Artemis becomes Mandalorian

Overall Weight Loss Journey: Starting Weight -     Current Weight -    Goal -160lbs

I think Raincloak nailed it. Motivation indeed comes and goes, in your case it sounds like you need to pinpoint the source of the problem.

Ask yourself why you feel compelled to nap instead of going to the gym.  If you're actually tired, take a nap.  You probably aren't getting enough sleep.  On the other hand, if the reason you don't want to go to the gym is "it's too hard," then you can either give up, or work out at home, or get over yourself and betake your ass to the gym.  Yeah it's hard, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

This is exactly it. And if it's the latter, ask yourself if you're enjoying your gym time or not. As a third alternative, you might be pushing yourself to think that it's enjoyable when it's not (a bigtime willpower burner). Speaking of willpower, since it's related to motivation and getting things done, I'll just drop Steve's article about it being a finite resource.

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (6)🍳🍳🍳🍳Fitness (1),  Gourmet Cooking (2)👨‍🍳👨‍🍳, Handiness (0), Media Production (6), Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1),  Video Gaming (3), Wellness (1)💆‍♂️

Thanks guys. I do see what you are saying about going to the gym and it not being enjoyable. I know lots of people who just LOVE going to the gym. I just don't feel that way. I guess I compare myself to them because I know they are doing good things for their health and body. But its just a simple fact that I don't love going to the gym. I used to like to do exercise classes like Zumba and the likes, but since I moved I just don't like the ones that I have done here so far. Plus with my schedule its just impossible to set a specific time to go to a class. Right now at the gym I do treadmill and weights, so I need to just suck it up and do it. But I am going to try to find different things to do. Maybe in 3 weeks when I have a break from school I will be able to jumpstart it all and get in the groove before the next semester starts. 

Before I moved I was going to this Zumba class with some girlfriends after work and it was working out great. But then I moved and now I work night shift and now I don't have many friends so I guess it just really put a damper on my social/exercise life. Woe is me I know.

I guess the bottom line is I just need to do it. Do something anyway. 

Nope. You need to do something you enjoy

Sounds like you switched from something you enjoyed, Zumba with friends, into something that sucks in comparison, solitary gym. I don't know about you, but I think treadmills are the most boring exercise machines ever. Instead of pushing through a plan that doesn't work, I'd suggest using your upcoming chances to explore options that might be more exciting. Try out new stuff, see if you can work out together with somebody else.

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (6)🍳🍳🍳🍳Fitness (1),  Gourmet Cooking (2)👨‍🍳👨‍🍳, Handiness (0), Media Production (6), Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1),  Video Gaming (3), Wellness (1)💆‍♂️

I try to work out with my husband, so that helps a little bit. The gym has a pool, so I thought about trying that out. Treadmills are super boring, but so are all those other cardio machines. I've never had a pool in my old town to really be able to swim regularly. I was only ever able to swim when I was on vacation and the hotel had a pool. haha. So maybe if I swim at the gym, i will feel like i'm on vacation! :-)

Gym workouts aren't for everyone.  Exercise IS for everyone.  While you should indeed learn to push through dislike and small obstacles, you don't have to suffer day after day.  If you really hate the gym, go to the park.  Or workout in your living room.  You could even do some squats and pushups while you watch TV, if you must.  There is no law that says exercise can only happen at the gym.

For me, it's not the gym I specifically loathe, it's the commute.  When I moved to a neighborhood that did not feature a gym within four blocks of me, but does feature a park, I canceled my membership and switched to living room and outdoor workouts.  Since my schedule is a bit soft at the moment, I set an alarm on my phone to remind me when it's go time.

Put on your favorite music, get yourself pumped, and think about the awesome body you're building.  Whatever it takes.  You're worth it, so take this time for YOU, baby!  Kill those weights, tear up those hills, be a great white shark in the pool, shake it up on the dance floor, jump rope like it's the '80s, stretch like a kitty in the sun.  Let life flow to the tips of your toes.  Take a deep breath and give a primal roar if you dare.  Your body is such a precious gem, you deserve to enjoy its powers every day.  Workouts aren't a thing to heap on your towering to-do list.  They're your time to be you and blow off stress.  Have some fun.

• Like 3

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.