What is your belief system?

Hi y'all! Being the Druid that I am, what people believe and why they believe it fascinates me; so I want to know, what do YOU believe??

I would love to know how you came to arrive at that belief as well if you would care to share and PLEASE don't let this devolve into a debate over which way is right or wrong or any other divisive argumentative bull. Thanks :)

• Like 3

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

I believe that there is something out there bigger than me that created our existence as we know it, but I also think that evolutionary proceses and such were by design and not something that disproves the existence of a Creator. I think science is verifying this rather than the opposite, bc there is too much logic and order in creation for it to be chance.

However, beyond that I don't believe that any single religion has it right, I think they all have elements of real truth and all have outright bullshit masquerading as truth. I know I can connect to this larger Creator by many different means. I feel that being a good person and loving and accepting others, including having the right to their beliefs and right to live differently than me, without judgement or mistreatment of any kind, is the most important part of it all...and if we all did that, our differences wouldn't matter anymore.

• Like 3

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

I just have to say that I love this thread topic. I'm the kind of person who is also fascinated in seeing others' beliefs and how they think, or feel. Anyways, hello there, fellow druid! I suppose that my belief system is a bit of a mash-up in that I can't put a certain religion or term to it, but that I've taken influences from a few religions, some larger, some smaller. Buddhism seems to be most inline with my beliefs but paganism is something that both fascinated me, and I live my life by several key elements of it. I also can't help feeling that whilst I'm not a christian, having grown up in a christian school for the best part of my childhood has influenced me and several lessons that I've learnt stick with me to this day. I believe in fate and in destiny. I believe that everything happens in the way in which it is meant to, though its a belief that can be difficult to during hard times or difficult situations. I believe somewhat in a greater force but aren't sure. That's something that to this day I may need to do more thinking about. It's a vague belief of mine. But, overall, I'd say that I'm a buddhist who has a lot more self-discovery and exploring to do. :)

• Like 1

Level 2

Elfin Water Bender

:: STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 1 ::

"Remember, your mind is the best weapon you have" ~ Farengar Secret-Fire

I believe that there is something out there bigger than me that created our existence as we know it, but I also think that evolutionary proceses and such were by design and not something that disproves the existence of a Creator. I think science is verifying this rather than the opposite, bc there is too much logic and order in creation for it to be chance.

Oh also, this is what I was trying to say, somewhat, in that I believe in some sort of higher power but not neccessarily a God. I couldn't really explain it - your description was just so good! :)

• Like 1

Level 2

Elfin Water Bender

:: STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 1 ::

"Remember, your mind is the best weapon you have" ~ Farengar Secret-Fire

I believe there is a greater force in the universe that, for whatever reason, brought life (all life) to this planet. And I mean all the life, not just humanity. Like everything else that we've seen here on Planet Earth, things change over time. Even what it means to be human has changed over the last several thousand years.

I believe there is other life in the universe. As a great believer and fan of science fiction, I can't just believe that humans, reptiles, insects, and marine life is the only thing out there. Maybe one day we could meet another civilization. Maybe we're far enough away from meeting them right now because we are too immature to understand this other race without wanting to destroy it for being different.

I think the universe is vast and holds many secrets. To understand them, I think, is the greatest challenge.

• Like 2

I believe there is a greater force in the universe that, for whatever reason, brought life (all life) to this planet. And I mean all the life, not just humanity. Like everything else that we've seen here on Planet Earth, things change over time. Even what it means to be human has changed over the last several thousand years.

I believe there is other life in the universe. As a great believer and fan of science fiction, I can't just believe that humans, reptiles, insects, and marine life is the only thing out there. Maybe one day we could meet another civilization. Maybe we're far enough away from meeting them right now because we are too immature to understand this other race without wanting to destroy it for being different.

I think the universe is vast and holds many secrets. To understand them, I think, is the greatest challenge.

I agree we arent alone, and it makes total sense that we have cosmic karma to atone for (bahahah mix theologies much) before we find them. See, I KNEW I liked you for a reason :)

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

Oh also, this is what I was trying to say, somewhat, in that I believe in some sort of higher power but not neccessarily a God. I couldn't really explain it - your description was just so good! :)

aww thanks :) I've done an absurd amount of spiritual soul searching to get to these conclusions. I was raised as an Evangelical Christian, then later as a Messianic Jew and was married to a Southern Baptist and have explored LDS and Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity, and I was a practicing Muslim for 8 years, and now I've settled into a Hindu/Taoist/New Age hybrid if I had to label it. I'm fascinated by religions and people's journeys to their beliefs.

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

I'm a pretty staunch atheist, but I spent a good third of my life exploring neo-pagan beliefs, so I would almost consider myself a "non-practicing pagan." I don't believe in any form of deity, karma, fate, magic, or supernatural energy, but my house is still littered with crystals, tarot cards, images of goddesses and fairies, Wiccan books, candles, etc.

I actually really find religious mythos and practices fascinating, I just don't believe in any of it anymore.

• Like 2

system?  I'm a Jew, we haven't got a system.  We've got 3500 years of stacked-up lore from a whole bunch of sages that often disagree with each other.  (kidding... sort of.)  Asking questions, studying and thinking for oneself is encouraged, so that results in piles of books, both secular and spiritual -- lucky me.

I grew up in a modern, moderate household and attended public school during the day, with religious studies on the side.  In high school I found myself suddenly dumped into a full-time religious environment, which took some adjusting.  I used to react to authority by trying really hard to please it.  Then I got depressed, because Orthodox Jewish law is so arcane that it's extremely difficult to follow ALL the rules if you didn't grow up doing it.  I more or less gave up on that, and defaulted to "don't be mean."

While depressed, I took a good squint at the universe and asked myself whether any of it was true, if God or afterlife or etc. was real at all.  Maybe it's all a meaningless waste of time ....  (Judaism is deliberately vague about the afterlife; it's much more about what you do while living.  There's definitely no eternal hell, though.)

Eventually I concluded there was no proof either way.  God is nonphysical, so of course one cannot use physical means to look for him.  So I might as well believe what makes me happiest.  I decided to assume and act as if God was there, because that would make me less depressed, but nowadays I observe the commandments moderately, the way I was raised.  The mitzvot include working for social justice, so I do that.  I also maintain a general faith that things are going to turn out okay, and I believe in reincarnation, because I'd be too damn sad if I only got to live once, and some people I've met definitely need a do-over.  Some days it is very hard to believe things are okay, but that's why belief is a path, not a goal.

My religion boasts a whopping 0.2% of the world as followers.  So I'm used to learning about other religions and meeting people who have different beliefs and cultural practices, and I'm fine with that.  I think it's rather beautiful, although some of their practices (like bathing statues) are a bit weird.  I like going to cathedrals and temples, and I'd love to visit a mosque if they'd let me.  I don't believe in magic or invisible dragons, but I do believe in psychology, so I have a Tarot deck and a couple books on feng shui, which I treat as tools for creativity.  I meditate, but only in non-religious fashion; there's no reason for me to adopt practices from a culture that isn't mine (like Buddhism), and frankly I have too many hangups with my mother faith to be comfortable using Jewish meditations.

I don't care for folks who shit all over other religions, but if they want to be and let be, it's fine with me.  In college my studies concentrated on history, science and philosophy, which have convinced me that reaching for higher things is an innate human behavior.  If you ask me, swearing off religion is kind of like taking a vow of celibacy.  But everybody's gotta experience life in their own way, so whatever.

Given the size of the universe, I'm sure life is out there somewhere, but I doubt humanity will find them (we might soon dig up the remains of life on Mars, but it looks like we missed them by a few million years...)  By the time we find them or they find us, we'll probably have changed into something else.  There's no reason to suppose aliens would be any more enlightened or magical than we are, so I suspect finding them would be educational, but not as game-changing as some people think.  We might not even know alien intelligence if we saw it, because it probably won't look like we expected.

[/end ramble]

• Like 4

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I'm an atheist.  I'm not against religion, I just don't believe that there is any higher power, or any sort of grand design.  I don't believe in any sort of afterlife or soul, I believe when your brain dies anything that could be considered 'you' is gone. 

None the less I find the universe to be a pretty awesome and amazing place, and everything I learn about how it works is just incredible.  I have no existential feeling about only having a limited time in it or that it will someday end.

• Like 5

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

I grew up Roman Catholic and knew from a young age that this wasn't for me. I never did my Confirmation, so technically that was the point in which I left the Church. I was "atheist" for some years (age 10-13 ish) until I found out what Agnostic was which fit my belief system at the time. there is a higher power out there, but no one can quantify it. I was Agnostic for most of my teens and early twenties as I researched other paths. I found Paganism at the age of 14 and was instantly intrigued by it and that same year from a friend learned about Norse paganism. I was familiar with the vikings and some of the nordic pantheon mainly Thor due to Marvel. Through the next decade 14-24 every year or so I would return back to researching Norse Paganism. The main draw this held on me was the history of the religion and it seemed more of a lifestyle than doing what people or a book told you to do. It wasn't until I was around 24 when I started saying I am a practitioner of Norse/Germanic Paganism or Asatru.

• Like 1

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

I grew up in a Fundamentalist Christian community (Protestant / Calvinist). From ages 19-29 I have been exploring what my faith means to me and what makes sense. I still hold many of my old beliefs but the entirety of my beliefs are rooted in love. In my thoughts, loving needs to be the first thing you do in every situation. I love discussing with other people what they believe and even more important to me is why they believe what they believe. I had the interesting experience of my wife (who came from a similar upbringing / faith) slowly evolving into an Atheist over the past 5 years. We never fought about our beliefs and the majority of people I interact with in my day-to-day life (all but 1 of my closest 5 friends) do not hold similar beliefs to me.

Level 14 -- Yeti Ranger -- STR 30.25 | DEX 12.00 | STA 21.00 | CON 14.75 | WIS 18.00 | CHA 7.50

Current Challenge -- Previous Challenges -- My Epic Quest -- Album of Holding -- About Me

However; once I read Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal

That book is sacrilegious. And absolutely hilarious.  One of my faves.

I consider myself to be a Christian.  I made the decision to attempt to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ at the age of 24.  It's been a rocky road.

• Like 1

Level 2 Mutant Druid

"No! Pillage, then burn! It's really hard to do it in reverse!"

Not really a belief I guess, but I tell people that Crom is my God! ... and I'm trying to get my daughter to say "Blood for the Blood God" :D

But I was what most people would call a neo-pagan (as much as I HATE that description). I prefer Occultist in the classical sense of the term...and Gods that sounds pretentious when I read it back but there we go.

• Like 1

The valiant never taste of death but once.

Battle Log:

100 Day Bench Press Challenge (64 Days)

Challenge: 1, 2

Estrix, level 1 Goblin Raider

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Not really a belief I guess, but I tell people that Crom is my God! ... and I'm trying to get my daughter to say "Blood for the Blood God" :D

3bf82ce08bfb666701623ef030b68f5c.jpg

Skulls for the skull throne!

• Like 2

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"

- Conan

• Like 1

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

Crom is the God of the Cimmerians in the Conan The Barbarian stories by R.E. Howard.

He is described as Living on or in a great mountain. And that calling to him is of little use for he does not care if men live or die. He is grim and loveless, but at birth he breathes into a man the power to strive and to slay. And for what more can a man ask?

He is also responsible for man acquiring the secret of steel. Left on the battlefield after a war with the giants in the mountain who had stolen it from him.

Crom values courage and valour, even if a man dies in the attempt.

While Crom is a work of fiction, he may in fact be based on a old Irish deity Crom Cruach.

The valiant never taste of death but once.

Battle Log:

100 Day Bench Press Challenge (64 Days)

Challenge: 1, 2

Estrix, level 1 Goblin Raider

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Crom is the God of the Cimmerians in the Conan The Barbarian stories by R.E. Howard.

He is described as Living on or in a great mountain. And that calling to him is of little use for he does not care if men live or die. He is grim and loveless, but at birth he breathes into a man the power to strive and to slay. And for what more can a man ask?

He is also responsible for man acquiring the secret of steel. Left on the battlefield after a war with the giants in the mountain who had stolen it from him.

Crom values courage and valour, even if a man dies in the attempt.

While Crom is a work of fiction, he may in fact be based on a old Irish deity Crom Cruach.

What a meanie poopy face God...lol

but I know that kind of thing appeals to some people

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn