CHRONOLOGICALLY BLESSED

She thinks the weight gain is just what happens with aging?!! Yes, it does get harder. But it isn't like some inevitable thing. I think I would be looking for a new a Dr.

you don't get a choice - it's a health centre and you get who ever you are given, I could choose one though if I found one more sympathetic

In summary, I think it didn't go so bad! There are still the results of the blood test to see - and the other guy for the blood pressure. Assuming that the other one is a medical doctor, too, I would simply ask him all the same questions you asked the first one… can't hurt to have a little bit of input from more than one side!

Did you actually log your food on mfp or something of the sort? I do that (in the German fddb database), just to see whether I stay within my limits (carbs well under 40g) and to track at least some rough intake of vitamins/ minerals and so on. Sometimes, one is surprised if the numbers tell something different from what one was thinking. Like higher carb intake than intended, in my case. Though I usually notice (I retain water, if I go over 50g carbs/ day).

No matter what, next challenge we will break the neck of that damn weight demon!!! 

I have logged in the past, I get bored of it pretty quickly though I will log for the next challenge. MFP gives me around 1450 calories a day (I don't bother to log exercise calories) and I try to keep my macros around 30.30.40 protein, fat, carbs - any lower on carbs and it messes up my sleep.

speaking of which I had 3 hours last night so I'm going to have some melatonin tonight and try to reset everything.

Dr did say she though I had overthought everything, she poo pooed the idea that stress makes you retain fat too. It didn't go that bad I agree but of course I want a magic alternative to a pill that will just make it all go away.

• Like 1
STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 7 | CON 6 |  WIS 9.75 | CHA 10.5
Current challenge | Accountable to chronologically blessed

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016
Quest 1 - Misfit to 800 4 days out of 7

0%
0%
Quest 2 - Mindfulness daily

0%
0%

Quest 3 - Veg with every meal, 2 pints of water a day

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

you don't get a choice - it's a health centre and you get who ever you are given, I could choose one though if I found one more sympathetic

I have logged in the past, I get bored of it pretty quickly though I will log for the next challenge. MFP gives me around 1450 calories a day (I don't bother to log exercise calories) and I try to keep my macros around 30.30.40 protein, fat, carbs - any lower on carbs and it messes up my sleep.

speaking of which I had 3 hours last night so I'm going to have some melatonin tonight and try to reset everything.

Dr did say she though I had overthought everything, she poo pooed the idea that stress makes you retain fat too. It didn't go that bad I agree but of course I want a magic alternative to a pill that will just make it all go away.

I'm not so fond of the tedious logging thing, but it happens to be so helpful. That's why I keep doing it. The only thing that worked for my personal weight loss is if I keep my macros at 5-15-80 carbs-protein-fat. People still call me crazy, but this is what keeps me running.

I admit that I didn't reduce carbs cold turkey, I sort of tapered them off. During work, I have to function = high pressure, high workload, very high responsibility and absolutely no room for mistakes due to a bad macro mix for the day. :-/

You should see to getting enough sleep tonight! Three hours is awful. 

That the doctor wasn't convinced of the stress - weight gain connection, does not surprise me. There are few but really well done studies out about this, and I believe that most physicians just don't have the time to catch up with science. I still get messages such as my egg consumption will kill me, and all the saturated fat in my bulletproof coffee (made with coconut oil) will clog my coronary arteries. I'm enough scientist myself to see that they've simply not acknowledged the latest scientific results in this field. So I let them talk, if it makes them happy, but I don't give much... 

• Like 2

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

My wife had her routine GYN appointment today, and asked if something could be done about the hot flashes which seem to be getting more frequent lately.  She got an herbal remedy that her GYN says has given relief to about half the women who try it, don't know what it is.  Hopefully it'll provide some relief for her.

• Like 2

My wife had her routine GYN appointment today, and asked if something could be done about the hot flashes which seem to be getting more frequent lately.  She got an herbal remedy that her GYN says has given relief to about half the women who try it, don't know what it is.  Hopefully it'll provide some relief for her.

Ohhh, could you find out what it is please, I hope it works for her

• Like 1

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

I (edited...don't) have an issue.

I don't feel 'old'.

I don't look 'old'

I don't think of myself as 'old'.

ergo, I'm not old and I don't have an issue.

Course, it helps that I can do things like this.

https://youtu.be/S5ezbnOh4eE

This is really brought on by the photos of my brothers at my nephew's wedding.  My 2 year older brother looks....old.  2 year younger brother is getting there.

Me, I have a plan to set some state and national power lifting records for age and weight class, drop down a weight class, set some more, and maybe drop again.  Then in a little over 3 years, I'll be in a new age class...and can do it again....I hope

At least it gives me something to work toward.

Also a bit of reality.    The NFL referee who was run over in the Denver game is my older sister in law's brother.

And another oddity in our family.  Our ages (brothers and wives)

Oldest brother

oldest brother's wife

me

my wife

younger brother's wife

younger brother.

So the 6 of us are within 4 years of each other in age.  There is almost 20 years in age span across our 11 children.

• Like 1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Ohhh, could you find out what it is please, I hope it works for her

It's called Relazin, only available mail order. Her doctor says it takes a few weeks to take effect, I'll let you know how it works for her.

She's been counting "moments", she's up to ten today. With a couple minis she didn't count. Seeing what she's going thru, I'll take dying seven years sooner.

• Like 2

She's been counting "moments", she's up to ten today. With a couple minis she didn't count. Seeing what she's going thru, I'll take dying seven years sooner.

It is definitely not an easy time… my mom says "aging is nothing for cowards"… 

But sometimes one just wants to curl up somewhere, and get out when it is over with. Like hibernating. 

For me, it's mood swings. From depressed to highly motivated. Change of nutrition changed a bit the depressive part, and shortened those phases, but I still get them off and on.

Mark D, I hope that your wife will soon notive considerable improvement, and that the Relazin works for her!

• Like 1

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

As I get older I find myself so much more pissed off at parents who try to queue jump their children in swimming lessons, it is just a waste of my time, if your child is only in stage 3, own it and put it on their enrolment form. Shuffling children for the first two days is disruptive, time consuming, and embarrassing for the child. Grrrrr.

Wait! What............?

It is definitely not an easy time… my mom says "aging is nothing for cowards"… 

But sometimes one just wants to curl up somewhere, and get out when it is over with. Like hibernating. 

For me, it's mood swings. From depressed to highly motivated. Change of nutrition changed a bit the depressive part, and shortened those phases, but I still get them off and on.

Mark D, I hope that your wife will soon notive considerable improvement, and that the Relazin works for her!

For me it is anxiety and very morbid thoughts. I enact in my head the death or funerals of relatives and friends on a daily basis. The anxiety is like post traumatic shock syndrome for things that shouldn't be that stressful.

And the flushes, hot and cold. It's all vile and I'll be glad when I'm done with it.

• Like 1

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

For me it is anxiety and very morbid thoughts. I enact in my head the death or funerals of relatives and friends on a daily basis. The anxiety is like post traumatic shock syndrome for things that shouldn't be that stressful.

And the flushes, hot and cold. It's all vile and I'll be glad when I'm done with it.

My wife has been.....cranky sometimes.  I'm not sure if it's hormonal or if it's because she's tired from waking up multiple times a night with hot flashes or other restlessness.  And those times when nothing I can do is right, like when she gets mad at me for doing something that, yesterday, she got mad at me for NOT doing.

Oh, and I have to be VERY careful about giving her advice on eating/exercise/fitness, ESPECIALLY if she asked me for advice.

She hasn't said anything to me about anxiety or depression.  

• Like 3

My wife has been.....cranky sometimes. I'm not sure if it's hormonal or if it's because she's tired from waking up multiple times a night with hot flashes or other restlessness. And those times when nothing I can do is right, like when she gets mad at me for doing something that, yesterday, she got mad at me for NOT doing.

Oh, and I have to be VERY careful about giving her advice on eating/exercise/fitness, ESPECIALLY if she asked me for advice.

Preach it Brother!

Note to self: do not suggest to wife that she "squat more".

• Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

My wife has been.....cranky sometimes.  I'm not sure if it's hormonal or if it's because she's tired from waking up multiple times a night with hot flashes or other restlessness.  And those times when nothing I can do is right, like when she gets mad at me for doing something that, yesterday, she got mad at me for NOT doing.

She hasn't said anything to me about anxiety or depression.  

There are loads more horrible symptoms, I think I've got off lightly! http://www.34-menopause-symptoms.com/

but, it doesn't last forever....

• Like 1

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Preach it Brother!

Note to self: do not suggest to wife that she "squat more".

Hah, you see I would be happy if my husband suggested I "squat more" but truth be told, he is somewhat jealous of the amount of time I spend in the gym as it is!  

I am finding black cohosh helpful - or am I? Perhaps it is just that I am not drinking any alcohol in September, and the weather in the UK is very cool for the time of year :thinks:

• Like 2

Hah, you see I would be happy if my husband suggested I "squat more" but truth be told, he is somewhat jealous of the amount of time I spend in the gym as it is!  

I am finding black cohosh helpful - or am I? Perhaps it is just that I am not drinking any alcohol in September, and the weather in the UK is very cool for the time of year :thinks:

I had to find a translation for "black cohosh", but now I know what you mean. It is popular here too, but so far I never tried it.

My husband watches me do yoga every evening, and I am sure he is asking himself where my sudden determination comes from. :D

The mood swings can be pretty scary… I sometimes get phases where I just think that everything is useless, I feel sad without that I could give a precise reason and that is not a good feeling. My husband usually leaves me to my own devices when I am in such a phase, because he does not know how to handle it. Well, I don't know either.

But I would actually love if he would tell me "squat more" or "go for a barefoot run" or stuff like this. Unless he refers to my shape… then I might get mad… 

• Like 1

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Ok so the Dr says I need to up my medication for BP, hasn't come down enough, fair enough, he has a plan. My platelet count is down, but he has ordered a second blood test because sometimes they clump together during transport and knocking about etc so wants to get a base line count, fair enough. He let's me in on an inside secret, to get my BP down I should relax and probably exercise.........O.o

I really like this Dr and no sarcasm involved he is thorough and he bulk billed me, which means his consultation was free! :)

My Mum has just rang me and started her, OMG, are you ok, you know your Dad's leukaemia was picked up by low platlets, this is why you are tired ALL the time, OMG, let me know if I can help you at all.............PLEASE woman calm down! I am not dying, and too late to be the caring mother now. Sheesh!

• Like 2

Wait! What............?

Silverwitch yes, those mood swings I find unnerving and if like me one has had recent experience of sub-optimal mental health, well...

Seven - fingers crossed for the second test!

Experience of sub-optimal mental health… nicely put. I can relate strongly. Sometimes, it is a feeling like walking on very thin ice. :-/ 

I dunno what's up with my grammar. I think into Yoda I have turned!

Yoda, wise and entertaining he is! :D

I like Yoda.

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Ok so the Dr says I need to up my medication for BP, hasn't come down enough, fair enough, he has a plan. My platelet count is down, but he has ordered a second blood test because sometimes they clump together during transport and knocking about etc so wants to get a base line count, fair enough. He let's me in on an inside secret, to get my BP down I should relax and probably exercise.........O.o

I really like this Dr and no sarcasm involved he is thorough and he bulk billed me, which means his consultation was free! :)

My Mum has just rang me and started her, OMG, are you ok, you know your Dad's leukaemia was picked up by low platlets, this is why you are tired ALL the time, OMG, let me know if I can help you at all.............PLEASE woman calm down! I am not dying, and too late to be the caring mother now. Sheesh!

The exercise is easy enough, the relaxing is easier said than done - I don't notice how little I relax until I have someone over and we sit and do NOTHING, it's really weird and it makes me more jittery. How are you getting on with it?

And mothers! Mine called me to say she had terrible news - at which I looked around to find a seat in my legs went from under me. The terrible news was that her brother bought her the same birthday present as I did. Good grief!

I dunno what's up with my grammar. I think into Yoda I have turned!

:-) My son had to write an essay about his favorite monster - he chose Cookie Monster and I really hope he wrote it in Cookie Monster speak - "me like Cookie Monster....."

• Like 2

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Has anyone had any luck with fasting training?

I've been trying it for a few weeks (about 7 or 8 hours of fasting before a workout) I had hoped for more dramatic results, I've had some weight loss improvement but only marginal.

Then again I'm trying to readjust my focus from weight loss to decreasing body fat percentage. Tougher psychologically because the results are not as immediate.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aneralled the level 6 Hound Archon, Warrior-Druid 

STR 11|DEX 4|CON 8.5|STA 10.5|WIS 4.5|CHA 4.5

I am a Nerd Fitness Rebel,       I don’t compare myself to others,        I know I impact those around me 
  and today is the first day            only to myself from yesterday.            with my actions, and so I must 
  of the rest of my life.                I shall not brag about successes           move forward, every day. 
I shall make no excuses               nor complain about my struggles,    I acknowledge fear, doubt, and
  and hold no grudges.                 but share my experiences and           despair, but I do not let them
I care not where I came from,       help my fellow Rebels.                        defeat me. I pledge my life and
  only where I am going.                                                                              honor for the Rebellion, for 
                                                                                                                         this day and all the days to come. 

Has anyone had any luck with fasting training?

I've been trying it for a few weeks (about 7 or 8 hours of fasting before a workout) I had hoped for more dramatic results, I've had some weight loss improvement but only marginal.

Then again I'm trying to readjust my focus from weight loss to decreasing body fat percentage. Tougher psychologically because the results are not as immediate.

I've not tried it, but it's one of those things that strikes me as borderline gimicky.  There is probably a subset of people for whom it produces good (even dramatic results) and the rest..not so much.  But this is true for almost all types of exercise and dieting.   

If it isn't doing it for you....put it aside after a good try and go on to something else.

Actually, I guess I have tried it because I used to workout in the early morning without eating (or with only an apple). No results there...

• Like 1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Can't say either that it does a lot with training.

Since I eat only two meals per day, I am doing intermittent fasting. I feel awesome with it, but it neither improved nor worsened training results. Maybe endurance in general is better, but I never really assessed that objectively. Certainly nothing dramatic...

• Like 1

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

When I was walking, I would do a fasting Lo intensity training to try to help my adrenals and metabolism.

I think that tanked my adrenals...that and the stress of last year!

I have found I prefer to only eat twice a day, with approved snacks.

And I learned I needed adrenal cocktail daily.

But since my herniated discs seem to be causing problems, the training was negatively impacted.

Just another proof that we are not all created the same, just equal.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice