So I'm about 3 days in and doing ok.  Keeping my calories managed with My Fitness Pal, talking to you folks on the Rebellion now, and I even got in some walking today.  

The doc's scale about a week ago had me at 368 fully clothed.  Weighed in this morning, butt nekkid, at 350 even.  I'll call that the first battle won in the war.  My goals are in my sights and every one is going to be a headshot if I can help it.  

I hope you folks will read this and comment.  I'm sure it'll help keep me motivated.  I promise to keep the ranting to a minimum when I get pissed off (or at least a dull roar).  lol

• Like 2

-Kinger

I leave this as a declaration of intent, so no one will be confused.

One: "Si vis pacem, para bellum."  If you want peace, prepare for war. 

Two: The old me is dead...he died with his old habits.  The new me will be stronger, faster, sharper, better.

Entry Two

Workout: Walking...lots of walking.  On every break at work, then an additional walk once I got home to make sure my FitBit said I hit over 10k steps.  Take that sedentary lifestyle!

Diet: Protein shake for breakfast, roasted chicken and salad greens for lunch...dinner...umm...not sure yet.  Something good and healthy.

Goal Progression: Contacted local Taekwando gym, setting up free lesson to see if it'd be a good fit for my fitness goals.  

I'm moving in the right direction, I think.  I'm trying to stay positive, despite the naysayers at work.  Going to head back to the regular gym next so I can add lifting heavy things into my routine again.  The people at work, though...ugh.  Everyday with their candies, and cupcakes, and chips, and just general grazing on garbage.  What makes it worse is now that I don't smoke cigarettes anymore, my sense of smell is back...and I can smell...all...of...it.  Grrr...  I won't give in, though.  I want my health more than I want a slice of pizza, I want my liver to function properly again more than I desire a cupcake, and I want my body to look lean, fit, and capable.  

• Like 2

-Kinger

Two: The old me is dead...he died with his old habits.  The new me will be stronger, faster, sharper, better.

Entry Three

Workout: Even more walking.  Every break again, and a nice walk in the park after work.  Forgot my Fitbit, though...so I hope I got enough in.  

Diet: Some Fage yogurt and an Epic bison bar for breakfast...kinda rushed, kinda didn't want to cook.  Heh.  Lunch was salad greens with braunschweiger from US Wellness meats.  Super good stuff...but pricey.  I'm probably only going to buy that stuff as a treat every now and again...because grass fed awesome is just super expensive.  Dinner currently undetermined...probably leftover rotisserie chicken or a steak.  

Goal Progression: First Tae Kwan Do lesson scheduled for next tuesday.  Can't wait to get into it.  The owner/lead instructor seems cool...we'll see how the class environment really is.  They offer classes Monday through Thursday in the evening for adults and Saturday afternoon as well.  The Sat. class is a bit shorter, though.  Students can attend up to 3 classes a week...soooo...giddyup.  

I had a lot of energy today.  Walking is getting easier already.  I seem to have tanked a bit now that I'm home, but that's probably because I'm just fried from one of the most boring work-weeks I've had to date.  I hate my job...a lot.  Must finish grad school and get my ass into the Game Design field before I'm old and gray.  

• Like 1

-Kinger

Entry Four

Early morning for a Saturday.  Headed out to a gun range to take a class on safety and laws, plus pick up my new toy: a Walther P22.  Good times.  Cheaper to shoot that little guy than my Springfield 9mm.  Target shooting is a fun hobby, but it gets pricey real quick.  lol.  May not be able to write more today regarding goals and workouts...but I'll try.  I'm planning on heading out for a long walk once my class is done, though.  Hope the rain holds off.  :)

-Kinger

Awesome start dude.

Taekwondo is awesome fun, and who could say no to learning how to make someone's knee bend backwards? I hope the class is what you're looking for.

When you get into a gym what's your plan? Do you have a routine worked out or do you just want to work with a trainer to begin with?

Game design is a fun field - I studied computer science for exactly that, but ultimately I lack the discipline to go from "oh look, I've figured out how to solve this logic puzzle" to "oh look, I've finished writing and debugging that solution so now it's a useful peice of code". Plus documentation bores me to tears.

You've said you have goals that you're hoping to headshot, but you haven't said what any of them are. Do you mind if I ask? It always helps to get a grasp on what it is people are doing.

Still awesome start, looking forward to seeing you progress.

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

Awesome start dude.

Taekwondo is awesome fun, and who could say no to learning how to make someone's knee bend backwards? I hope the class is what you're looking for.

When you get into a gym what's your plan? Do you have a routine worked out or do you just want to work with a trainer to begin with?

Game design is a fun field - I studied computer science for exactly that, but ultimately I lack the discipline to go from "oh look, I've figured out how to solve this logic puzzle" to "oh look, I've finished writing and debugging that solution so now it's a useful peice of code". Plus documentation bores me to tears.

You've said you have goals that you're hoping to headshot, but you haven't said what any of them are. Do you mind if I ask? It always helps to get a grasp on what it is people are doing.

Still awesome start, looking forward to seeing you progress.

Well, my primary goal is to drop the weight.  That leads to secondary medical goals:

1: Get off blood pressure meds.

2: Return liver function to normal.

3: Reverse metabolic syndrome so I don't get the diabeetus.

4: Avoid potential heart attack/stroke in the future.

5: Get my cardiologist to stop suggesting bariatric surgery.

With TKD I'm looking to improve my flexibility, body awareness, stamina.

In the gym, I'm looking to get stronger and shed some lbs.  I was thinking weights using the Starting Strength book as a guide.  I need to explore that side of my gym, though...since it's usually crowded I haven't delved yet.  I was also thinking of tossing tabata intervals in probably once a week.  

Other than that...walking...lots of friggin' walking.  lol

-Kinger

Well it certainly looks like you're on the right track and good luck to you.

On the starting strength side - I chose Strong Lifts over Starting Strength primarily because I thought the volume of 5x5 sounded better for causing a metabolic response than 3x5, but I hear that the two programs get around about the same sorts of results.

The TKD I always did because ever since I was a kid I have been obsessed with martial arts, and yet, I'm now 32 and still haven't mastered a single one, go figure.

Anyway, I'll be following along quietly in the background.

• Like 1

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Well it certainly looks like you're on the right track and good luck to you.

On the starting strength side - I chose Strong Lifts over Starting Strength primarily because I thought the volume of 5x5 sounded better for causing a metabolic response than 3x5, but I hear that the two programs get around about the same sorts of results.

The TKD I always did because ever since I was a kid I have been obsessed with martial arts, and yet, I'm now 32 and still haven't mastered a single one, go figure.

Anyway, I'll be following along quietly in the background.

Thanks for the support, I appreciate it.  :)  I'll take a look at Strong Lifts, too.  Never hurts to research more.  

Hopefully I get my butt to the gym tomorrow or Monday.  Then it's TKD tuesday, probably a bit of a rest Wed/some walking, and then TKD again on Thurs.  In between that I also have to get my but to my local Gun range and square up my membership and get my ID.  Shooting may not burn calories, but it releases tension and keeps my mind off things that would normally lead me to eat a buncha crap.   :watermelon:

-Kinger

Entry Five

Lazy Sunday.  I need a bit of a rest...and some blissful playing of video games.  :-p

-Kinger

Entry Five and a Third

Played some EVE, damn that game is good.  So much exploding spaceships...

Did some chores...yay.  Decided to randomly shave off my beard...umm...yay?  lol.  Got my french press in the mail to make some better coffee on the weekends, apart from the fast, keurig brewed Foldgers sludge I use to wake myself up on the weekdays.  Thinking maybe I'll give Bulletproof Coffee another try when I pick out some tastier beans.  :)

-Kinger

Entry Five PM Update

Good day.  Lot of planning done this evening...making sure I'm keeping my goals aligned with my actions.  Noticed that my body isn't throwing random hunger pangs at me anymore when I don't eat for a long time.  Had a big breakfast, wasn't hungry at all for the remains of the day, then in the evening I just sort of decided "I'm not hungry...but I also haven't had enough calories" so I munched on some bison jerky.  Calories are a bit low today...but really not feeling ravenous enough to add more.  Probably going to have a big breakfast...lol.  

-Kinger

Entry Six

Monday...why'd it have to be Monday?  Ugh...  Well, another work week looms.  Not exactly stoked for that, but hey, gotta do what we gotta do, right?  Weight is falling off...still relatively quickly.  I expect the slow-down to come soon.  For now, I'm just going to enjoy watching the numbers go down.  

-Kinger

Entry Seven

Down another pound...good for me.  Felt kind of funky yesterday evening though, so I went to bed early.  I seem to have slept it off. 

Probably less walking today since tonight is my first Tae Kwan Do class and I don't wanna be too tired.  I did a lot of walking yesterday and my legs are still a bit wobbly. 

Eggs for breakfast, canned salmon for lunch, dinner...probably sausages if my new George Foreman comes.  I know sausage isn't optimal...but it's so dang tasty.  lol...and as long as there's no grains or corn syrup in it, I'm happy.  Probably have an avacado with said sausages because I have a ripe one on my counter. 

Sitting at work at the moment, being insanely bored.  Another day when I'm the only person on the early shift who doesn't call off.  Good to know I work with such reliable people.  And yet I get passed up for promotion...multiple times.  Screw 'em...I'm just here for the loan forgiveness program.  The second my Fed Loans are gone, I'm gonna bounce.  Being a Civil Servant is far too annoying to sustain for an entire career.  Besides, I'm too good at other stuff to stay here any longer than I have to.

New semester at AAU starts Sept. 3rd...can't wait.  Back to modeling things in 3d, improving my skillset...getting minimal sleep.  o.O  lol...oh well.  The price paid for greatness sometimes. 

-Kinger

Entry Eight

Tae Kwan Do was great...going back for more tomorrow.  My legs are super tired today, though, so I'm taking it a bit easy.  I definitely got a good workout.  :)

Breakfast...yeah, I may or may not have eaten a package of bacon.  lol.  It was just one of those mornings.  I didn't want to putz around with herbs and spices...didn't want to reheat leftovers...and the bacon was right there, in all its glory.  Delicious and crispy, right off the George Foreman.  Add to that mix fresh ground Sumatran coffee from my French Press...yeah.  Pretty awesome.  Gonna have a couple sausages for lunch...dinner once again the unknown entity.  Mmmmmabye salmon?  With grass fed butter?  And lemon?  Or maybe chicken...got some thighs and breasts in the freezer. 

Have to go out to the pistol range tonight.  Get all that membership goodness squared away and hopefully put some rounds through my Walther P22.  Fun times.  Well, fun times if I get off my duff and do it.  Heh.

-Kinger

Entry Eight.2

Yeah...dinner = Salmon.  Very tired...don't really want to go to the range, but I need to.  So...eat food, attempt to work up urge to do something I've needed to do for a couple weeks.  Perhaps I need to ingest some coffee...

-Kinger

Entry Eight to the 3rd

Went to the Crowfoot Sportsmen's Club, joined, and put 100 rounds through my Walther P22.  A fun, productive evening.  :)  I doubt I'll win any fitness medals for putting 100 pieces of lead up and down the center mass of a target, but it sure was fun to do.  Glad I got off my duff and got it done.  It's been a busy week so far, filled with lots of doing things that are new and interesting.  Hope I don't burn myself out from all these adventures.  lol

-Kinger

Entry Nine

Sick stomach today...no fun at all.  Totally cramping my style.  Guess I'll take it easy...and eat if my body ever decides to be hungry again.  

-Kinger

Entry Ten

Feeling better today.  Stomach is still a bit wonky, but not cripplingly so.  More frustrating is that I still have some serious DOMS from my first TKD lesson...lol.  C'mon legs...use all that protein I eat and repair.  Next class isn't until Tuesday, so I should be recovered by then. 

Down another pound today...good stuff.  Scale is slowly heading in the right direction.  Much as I'd love to wake up tomorrow and magically be at my goal weight, I know that patience is what will win the day, not instant gratification.  Being an American, though, instant gratification is seemingly part of our DNA...gotta work on the desire for that unrealistic BS. 

-Kinger

Entry Ten

Feeling better today.  Stomach is still a bit wonky, but not cripplingly so.  More frustrating is that I still have some serious DOMS from my first TKD lesson...lol.  C'mon legs...use all that protein I eat and repair.  Next class isn't until Tuesday, so I should be recovered by then. 

Down another pound today...good stuff.  Scale is slowly heading in the right direction.  Much as I'd love to wake up tomorrow and magically be at my goal weight, I know that patience is what will win the day, not instant gratification.  Being an American, though, instant gratification is seemingly part of our DNA...gotta work on the desire for that unrealistic BS. 

That first round of DOMS can take up to a week (and sometimes more) to recover from. My first lifting session in the gym again after being in Scotland for a month, I forgot that I would need to recover my work capacity and just went straight for a light sessions at 5x5, and then couldn't walk properly for a week. Just relax, take your time, and know that next time recovery won't take anywhere near as long as this time.

• Like 1

Dwarf Warrior

Thanks Junior.  :)  I'll get back to it on Tues...things are feeling better, but I am def walking like I've got a wooden leg.  Just call me Ahab...yeaaarrrgh.  Probably going for a nice walk after my Pistol class on Saturday just to loosing things up.  

• Like 1

-Kinger

Entry Eleven

Great day so far.  Haven't eaten much...had some whole milk and coffee this morning because I had to rush out the door to my Pistol class.  

Good news is I passed the NRA Pistol Basics exam with 100%, and my technique is improving.  Practice makes perfect.  Also the instructors at A&S Pistol Range out at Youngwood PA are excellent.  If you're in my general area, and want to learn anything about guns, you should go to them.  Seriously.  They're excellent.  

To celebrate my success I bought some steaks...sooo, that's probably lunch, and dinner.  Mmm...steak.  :)  An excellent reward for the day.  Then after I devour them, I have to clean my Springfield XD 9mm SubCompact and my Walther P22...lol.  So many targets filled with holes.  Gotta love it.  

Tomorrow, probably lazy Sunday.  Monday, back to work and a doctor's appointment (blah), Tuesday, work and then Tae Kwan Do class.  :)  Keeping up the streak of ultimate epic win!

-Kinger

Entry Twelve

Lazy Sunday.  Sitting around, catching up on some WWE episodes.  Summerslam is coming up, so I need to be up on all the drama...lol.  I'm expecting Dolph Ziggler to make a comeback at the PPV since they've been building up so much cheap heat with the Lana/Rusev thing.  Looking forward to the Undertaker v. Lesner match, too.  Also...watching Paige...do...anything.  Hehe.   :love-struck:

I also have some movie's to catch up on.  Most notably Justice League: Gods and Monsters, which everyone has told me is really well done.  Bruce Timm...that guy can do no wrong.  I also want to watch the extended cut of Green Lantern.  Yes, I know, it's not the greatest comic book movie ever...but I love all things GL.  I just can't hate it.  lol

-Kinger

Entry Thirteen

Eww...talk about a crappy day.  Mondays are always so frustrating.  It's terribly hot and miserably humid out to boot.  :(  Oh well.  The day is almost over.  

Wanted to get some exercise in, but I don't really want to melt...sooo...at least I have Tae Kwan Do tomorrow.  That'll get the blood pumping, for sure.  :)  Baby steps...all forward momentum counts as progress.

Splurged a bit on some ammo for my cc gun.  Needed some hollow points since it's just plain not safe to use FMJ outside the range (gotta have something that stops in the target), so that's what's on order.  Got a few different brands coming, nothing super insane or mega high velocity.  I'll probably dump a magazine of each at the range, determine which works best in my XD 9mm sub compact, keep the remains of the best and fire off the rest for funsies.  :)  I don't doubt the cheaper varieties will probably shoot a bit dirty and not have quite so much in the way of penetration.  I'm not looking to start a war, though...just keep my ass alive if something dreadful should happen.

Had some cold steak and cheese for breakfast today...not bad.  I was just too lazy to cook.  Skipped lunch...dinner an unknown entity again.  We'll see what I feel like doing.  Maybe some eggs with hot peppers from my friend's garden?  That could be tasty.  :)

-Kinger

Entry Fourteen

Weight loss has stalled a bit.  Keep hovering between the same two numbers.  Hrmm...we'll se where I'm at by the end of the week.  Slightly frustrating, but it was bound to happen at some point.  Oh well. 

Tae Kwan Do tonight...that'll be fun.  :)  I wish I had my uniform...but it's still on order.  Guess it's t-shirt and sweats for me again.  lol.  It'll be the best workout I've had all week, though...since it's been too gross out to really do anything.  If this keeps up I'm just going to go to the gym and walk on the treadmill...at least I won't sweat out every drop of water that way.  o.O 

I hate summer.  I'm a spring/fall kinda guy.  Winter I don't mind...as long as I don't have to unbury my car on a daily basis.  But yeah...summer blows.  Hot, humid grossness.

-Kinger

Entry 14-2

Great night!  Tae Kwan Do was super fun...again!  Learning the bits and pieces of white belt form...getting a lot of beginner tips from everyone in the class and improving my side kick a lot.  Also learned to do a palm strike (?) and busted through some of those plastic boards with it.  Really a great class environment.  I might be the n00b, but I'm really enjoying it.  Back again on Thursday...for class and to sign the member agreement.  :)  Gonna be a bit sore tomorrow, I think.  Landed on my ankle a bit funny a few times...lol

• Like 1

-Kinger