Greetings from Virginia - New to the Rebellion and the Academy

Howdy folks!

Backstory:

I've been overweight to obese my entire, and I decided back in May that I was tired of it. Tired of blood pressure meds and being just shy of diabetic. Tired of not being able to shop for clothing wherever I wanted. Tired of getting winded going up one flight of stairs. Tired of being the "girl with the nice personality" that women weren't interested in actually dating.

So yeah. Got fed up, got motivated.

In May I had a nice break from routine and would spend most of the summer hiking and working outdoors and eating healthy food fixed for me, so it was a good time to start making changes. I started at 242 and 5'4" in May, and am currently 215 (and, y'know, still 5'4" :tennis: ). Got there almost exclusively through diet and hiking, and now I'm back to the old routine of work and school, and I needed a way to try to maintain momentum and up my game, which is where the Rebellion and the Academy come in! I feel like I've just gotten to the point where I'm healthy enough for heavier exercise, and the workouts in the Academy seem like a great way to get there. So anyway, that's where I've come from.

Nerdery:

I'm a PhD student in Biology, hopefully on the home stretch toward a dissertation! That doesn't leave tons of time for indulging my nerdier pursuits, but I play Flight Rising, older anime (90s and 00s), Firefly, Star Trek (TNG being my favorite), and I'm just getting in Doctor Who. Books, I most recently read the two extant Kingkiller books, and I'm a scattershot fan of fantasy and sci-fi, from Harry Potter to Heinlein.

I'm loving the idea here at Nerd Fitness, and I'm looking forward to refining how I eat and getting to strength training, which I've always wanted to do.

So yeah...pleased ta meet ya!

• Like 1

Level 1 Dwarf Adventurer - [ STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

Welcome to the Rebellion! You're already off to a great start with the changes in your diet and all that hiking. I found many articles super helpful on the website to help with busy schedules. The workouts are also awesome and Nerd-inspired so that's a plus. :P

I started my fitness journey with pilates and body weight workouts which I adore. You don't need any equipment and it's very effective, so I would definitely recommend checking those out on the NF website. :)

''Do no harm, take no shit.''

Battle Log | Challenges 1 2 

I started with the bodyweight workout too, it gives you a great base if you want to start lifting weights later, and is good in and of itself!

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63