Anyone see this? (NerdStrong)

It's pretty refreshing to see the reporters actually taking this seriously. Reports like this usually make me feel uneasy, it's like like nerds working out is seen as the same level of news as that penguin who goes shopping or a water skiing budgie - "Look, they're just like people! LOL. How cute"

Like in this video

I'm all for this movement as long as it's helping people live a healthier lifestyle :)

• Like 4

Level 19 Jedi/Assassin in-training. 

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not." - Uncle Iroh

When I signed up for that free class on the 27th, I didn't realize there was also a free introductory class you can take - which, of course, makes for a better introduction to the gym than simply throwing myself into a full-on regular class...

Anyway, I was able to take the intro class yesterday. You can read all my thoughts on it over at my blog - but here's a snippet of that post with the most pertinent info:

I decided to try NerdStrong mainly because I wanted to complete the “Embrace Your Inner Noob†Nerd Fitness quest, and they seemed at least like an interesting choice. And even if I hated it, I’d at least get a completed quest out of it.

After completing their introductory class yesterday, however, I came right home and signed up for a full-on membership – mainly because I really dig their overall approach to fitness.

Which, from what I’ve seen, read, heard and now experienced, is a back-to-basics style of CrossFit; a CrossFit that’s more about the actual ‘Cross’ and ‘Fit’ than about the ever-growing and somewhat out-of-control ‘Sport of CrossFit’, as it were.

What I really love are the WODs. They’re broken into categories that mirror the three common physical attributes of a role-playing character: Strength (deadlifts, squats, etc), Constitution (strength endurance) and Dexterity (handstands, etc).

I want to say that it doesn’t get much more comprehensive than that, but maybe I’m wrong? Maybe that’s what many CrossFit gyms are like. All I know for sure is that mixing a smart and measured approach to a style of fitness as powerful as CrossFit, with a group of people as understanding and accepting as a room full of nerds – well, that’s sounds like a recipe for success if I ever heard one.

Anyway, that’s my initial NerdStrong review. I just really hope they’re everything I’ve made them out to be. Guess I’ll know soon enough – my first full class is CON on Wednesday. And, of course, I’ll write a follow-up post about it later this week – assuming I still have the strength left to type, that is.
  • Like 2

When I signed up for that free class on the 27th, I didn't realize there was also a free introductory class you can take - which, of course, makes for a better introduction to the gym than simply throwing myself into a full-on regular class...

Anyway, I was able to take the intro class yesterday. You can read all my thoughts on it over at my blog - but here's a snippet of that post with the most pertinent info:

Sounds cool so far. We need something like this in the UK..

Level 19 Jedi/Assassin in-training. 

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not." - Uncle Iroh