Audiobook Suggestions

I've got a few extra Audible credits to spend and I have no idea what I want to listen to.  I just finished Butcher's The Aeronauts Windlass and Cameron's The Dread Wyrm.  Other favorite authors include Tolkien, Sanderson, McClellan, Michael J. Sullivan.  Generally, I'm a fan of good, fun adventure stories and fantasy.  I'd love to hear some book suggestions if you have any ideas. Thanks!

"Fairy tales are more than true not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten"  -Neil Gaiman

Mandalorian Assassin: Level 5

Current Challenge - Artemis becomes Mandalorian

Overall Weight Loss Journey: Starting Weight -     Current Weight -    Goal -160lbs

Charles Stross' "Atrocity Archives" is the first book in his Laundry Files series.  It's a hat-tip to (and occasional piss-take on)  Cold War espionage novels and H. P. Lovecraft.  Computers, magic, eldritch horrors, snappy one-liners, and a couple of techs nicknamed Pinky and Brains. Later books get even funnier (and weirder).

Also hard to go wrong with Joe R. Lansdale: His Hap and Leonard series is a bromance between a former Green Beret and a conscientious objector. They do odd jobs to pay the bills, and fix problems when needed.  The fixes usually involve sawed-off shotguns, explosives, and kempo. Lansdale is very funny, philosophical without being boring, and manages to disrupt every expectation you might have of any given character.  "Savage Season" is the first novel in the series.  The narrator does a great job with East Texas accents and giving distinctive voices for each character.

• Like 1

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

I'm not really into audiobooks but someone gave me "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern.  It was not bad.  (good story, that is; the narration was fine but not thrilling).

• Like 2

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I'm not really into audiobooks but someone gave me "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern. It was not bad. (good story, that is; the narration was fine but not thrilling).

Actually started out life as a nano novel. I keep meaning to pick up a copy.

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

I've got to add a few of these to my reading list.  I've heard of the Gentleman Bastards series before (I think that's the right name...) and since I've got a few recommendations, I'll see what I can do.  There was a deal on Audible, so I'm currently listening to some of the classics (Pride and Prejudice, 20,000 Leagues, Tale of 2 cities) and I picked up The Fellowship of the Ring for $5.  

• Like 1

"Fairy tales are more than true not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten"  -Neil Gaiman

Overall Weight Loss Journey: Starting Weight -     Current Weight -    Goal -160lbs

If you do wizards, I'd say the Dresden Files books, read by James Marsters.  I love those.  My boyfriend is reading the series and I'm listening to them at work.  Good stuff.

• Like 1

If you do wizards, I'd say the Dresden Files books, read by James Marsters.  I love those.  My boyfriend is reading the series and I'm listening to them at work.  Good stuff.

These are some of the best audiobooks out there.  Marsters does such great voices for all the characters.

John Hodgman's The Areas of My Expertise and More Information Than You Require are both fantastic in audio.  It's a bizarre combination of audiobook, improv and chat show, with Jonathan Coulton serving as his sidekick and bandleader.

• Like 2

BlueThunderBomb

Lvl 0 Yeti Rebel

Current Challenge

Quest the First: Bodyweight Exercises (3 times a week)

66.6%
66.6%

Quest the Second: Walk 2 miles (3 times a week)

75%
75%

Quest the Third: Track my calories every day

75%
75%

Speaking of classics... A lot of "public domain" works have amateur narration for free at LibriVox. They vary widely in quality; the few I tried would be great if you need to fall asleep. Although that might be partly because the only time I listen to audiobooks is when I'm in bed.

• Like 2

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

So far my favorite audiobooks have been:

The Pillars Of The Earth by Ken Follett. Gorgeous storytelling.

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurty. The narrator is freaking awesome and I want to listen to it again now.

Joe Abercrombie. All of it is awesome but the change in narrator after The First Law trilogy is a bit jarring.

Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.â€

Pro tip for audio book fans: It's often way cheaper to buy the Kindle edition and "add Audible narration" (which gets you the Audible edition) than it is to just buy the Audible edition alone.

You can also do this with Kindle books that you check out of the library through Overdrive!  It's a lovely little trick for frequent audiobookers.

• Like 1

BlueThunderBomb

Lvl 0 Yeti Rebel

Current Challenge

Quest the First: Bodyweight Exercises (3 times a week)

66.6%
66.6%

Quest the Second: Walk 2 miles (3 times a week)

75%
75%

Quest the Third: Track my calories every day

75%
75%

Pro tip for audio book fans: It's often way cheaper to buy the Kindle edition and "add Audible narration" (which gets you the Audible edition) than it is to just buy the Audible edition alone.

This works especially well for the classics since the kindle books are often free and then the audiobooks are either close to free, or 100% free.

So far my favorite audiobooks have been:

The Pillars Of The Earth by Ken Follett. Gorgeous storytelling.

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurty. The narrator is freaking awesome and I want to listen to it again now.

Joe Abercrombie. All of it is awesome but the change in narrator after The First Law trilogy is a bit jarring.

Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.

I've got The First Law in paperback back home, but since I can't take it with me to college I may have to pick up an audio copy and give it a try.  I actually just finished the Alloy of Law in audio and am going to stash away a few more credits to pick up the Mistborn trilogy.  I've read them before, but having an audio copy for 'rereading' on the bus would be nice.