New and need support.

So, I just had my 3rd baby one month ago and I want to get into better shape then I've ever been. My first goal is to gain endurance and flexability. I don't mind hard work, however I lack motivation even though it's something I want to achieve as a mom of 3boys 9...2..and 1 month..I put myself last always. Any help tips on how to fit a workout in would be appreciated!

• Like 1

Welcome!

First I want to say something that I'm sure you already know...You just had a baby, give yourself the time and flexiblity to understand that you won't be perfect on this journey.  Roll with the punches and just keep doing one small change for a couple weeks, then another small change, etc.

Personally, especially given your (I assume) hectic schedule, the Beginner Bodyweight Workout might be a good place to start.  It's something you can do at home on your own time.  Don't let the word "Beginner" fool you though, that workout is tough.  I'm still working on being able to do that fully myself.  Just get a gallon jug of water or milk for your rows, and you're good to go.

But remember that proper eating is 80% of getting healthy.  A workout is just the icing on the cake to help along your calorie in take.  Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you have questions!  *wave*

• Like 1

Thanks. How familiar are you with eating healthy and weight loss /gain? I am one of those women everyone hates because I can eat McDonalds every day for breakfas lunch and dinner and not gain a pound... And if I start eating healthy and stop the soda and drink gallon of water... I lose so much weight I look u healthy I stopped working out in my early twenties when I was eating healthy working out not drinking soda ect.. Because I was down to 91lbs. And you could see the bones in my back it was unhealthy..

I will have to get my clearance to workout in two weeks but I wanted to start the eating change..and finding and creating a plan to start.

I've read so many things I swear it's like my eyes wore the words of the screen/pages.  That being said though, I'm not a personal trainer, or anything fancy like that, though my mother is.

Everything that I say or advice that I give is from my personal experience, and is not professional advice, always check with your doctor, etc, etc.

I used to be that way, until my activity level plummeted but my big eating habits didn't change at all.  Was in football, then joined the military, then got out into the private sector.  When I left the military, my activity level hit rock bottom, but my eating habits didn't change, and I ballooned up by like 60 lbs or so.

Anyway, I find that for me, planning, and pre-cooking are the absolute key to eating right.  It's this simple, convenience is KING. I hate taking time to cook anything, especially during the week when I'm pretty busy anyway.  And with 4 kids in the house (13, 13, 9, & 2 months), I have my hands full.  So what food I have ready, I will eat.  If that happens to be crap from Taco Bell because it's right down the road, then that's what I'll get.

So I plan everything on Sunday.  For me, that particularly means Breakfast and Lunch, since I eat both of those meals at work 5 days per week.  I get the plastic containers, that I will put plain romaine lettuce and pre-shredded cheese in, and have a bottle of dressing at work.  I cook a huge amount of chicken every sunday and cube it then put it all in a big container that sits in the fridge.  That way I have fresh chicken for my salad ready to grab.  I buy a huge bag of angus hamburger patties and cook them all and do the same thing so I have easy access to a cheeseburger (that I can put on low carb bread or low carb tortillas) whenever I need.  Top that all off with having snacks handy (NEVER, NEVER, EVER, run out of healthy snacks, or you shoot yourself in the foot), and you're good to go.

Everybody is different, and what works for me might not be the best thing for you.  But for me, having the food ready to grab and eat with no prep was key.  And that means taking a big chunk of my Sunday to plan and cook what I need for the following week.  For example, here is what I cooked this past Sunday:

Two 9x13 cassarole dishes full of bonless skinless chicken breast (bought fresh, cooks better than frozen).

28 Sausage links

22 eggs (scrambled)

16 hamburger patties

Breakfast burritos, chicken for salads and misc, and burger patties all cooked and ready to toss in the microwave when I need something quick.

I'm rambling, sorry.  What is your goal?  Weight loss?  Less flab, more muscle?  You have to know where you're going before you take your first step.  Just don't let the planning stage stop you from taking that first step.

• Like 2

Welcome to Nerd Fitness!

As for motivation, think about being able to keep up with three perpetual motion machines. :D

• Like 2

My goal my sound foolish.. And unachievable but its mine right?... Is ultimately to get on the show American ninja warrior ( if it's still around )... In all reality i want to be able to do the things they can.. Be fit healthy strong flexible.. All around great shape.

As of right now I do almost nothing. I don't work out I eat poorly.. The calorie burning I do is pretty much due to nursing my baby and chasing my 2 year old other then that im big ol couch potato.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

First of all, that's not an unachievable goal at all! You can do it, it will just take LOTS of time. 

I second the beginner bodyweight workout. For ANW you need to be able to throw your own bodyweight around like it's nothing. The first person that comes to mind is my gymnast sister. So bodyweight things, eventually maybe adding weight. Same reason drummers practice with weights on their ankles- if you can do something at a certain speed/strength with extra weight, you can do it better without it. Adding yoga is another good idea for flexibility, balance, and more body strength. Lifting weights is great too, but since you seem to be interested in the ANW sort of strength you may want to focus on bodyweight.

Another option that's good for a work out- go play in the park with your kids. Or go hiking with them. Go for a walk, and eventually run, with the littlest one(s) in a stroller. Parent/child swim classes. Find fun outdoor things you can do with them. Pick one special thing for each child and make it mommy/son time (go running with the baby, kick around a soccer ball/throw a baseball/play outside with the 9 yr old, ect). It will give you individual time with your kids and let both of you work out together!

In regards to food- I also second meal prep. I'm a college student so if I don't meal prep, I end up eating crappy stuff usually. 

I usually bake one loaf of whole wheat bread each week (you're welcome to the recipe if you want it, I love it and I really don't like wheat bread). This takes me around 15-20 mins of labor depending on how long it takes me to get the water for the yeast right. If you have a mixer it takes much less time! Rising time and cooking time is an hour total, but you can do other things during that time. I  use it for sandwiches on the days I eat those and have a slice with my breakfast.

I also sometimes make "egg muffins." They're scrambled eggs with (insert omelette fillings here) inside baked in a muffin tin. I use onion, spinach, and cheese usually. They also feature in my breakfasts when I make them. I make them in bulk, refrigerate them, and stick them in the toaster (oven is an option too) to warm up so the eggs don't get gross. Breakfast also includes fruit and another protein if possible (cheese sticks or yoghurt usually).

Saturday or Sunday I try to cook something that I can eat all week. You'll probably need to truly cook in bulk, but I just make family recipes and eat them over the course of the week. I have a ton of recipes that I use for these, and it depends on how I feel/what meat I bought/what I haven't eaten in a while.  

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

Yes helped a lot thanks! I would robably benefit a lot from preping meals and my hubby would probably enjoying having breakfast preped.. He works early some days and I don't get up at 5 to make him breakfast like I use to. Any ideas for good meals to prep?

ask me what I did to help reach my goal today! human adventurer lvl 0

Here is my Recipes folder on Google Drive. Most of them are super healthy and many I got from the Campfire post in the Ranger's challenge forum if you want to look for more. 

You are welcome to absolutely anything in there!

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

Yey!!! I have been approved to start working out again. Doctor said as long as I'm not trying to be the hulk it shouldn't interfere with nursing which was my biggest concern.

So I'm going to give myself till Monday to start. I'm going to get my weights and everything cleaned up and ready to use, and research my top 2 gym picks, take measurements and pictures and get into the game! I'll be in time for the next challenge! Excited

• Like 2

Excellent! You've got this!

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

You're going to be so awesome!  

Have you tried Yoga yet?  I gave it a shot a few months back and found it wasn't really my thing, but I've known a few ladies who had tremendous success with it.  Combine it with the bodyweight or hotel room workout routines and you'll be kickin' ass and takin' names for sure.

My ex wife was the same way as you with her weight and metabolism.  She (and one of my coworkers) call it "skinny-fat".  Just because they're thin doesn't mean they're healthy.  Check out the story about Spezzy and look at how good she looks despite being a smaller woman.  You tone up and build those muscles, and you'll look great even if you're 95 lbs.  (Though you'll probably be quite a bit heavier with plenty of dense muscles.)

As for motivation, find a way yo remind yourself of that goal so you can see it and focus on it after the babies go to sleep.  I've got two kids myself, I know how precious that time after they fall asleep can feel...  It's up to you how you use it.  I wish I'd realize how much I could have "decompressed" by working out instead of watching reruns on YouTube.

• Like 1