A ranger is born...

I am Alex.

Months ago, I started this journey. Out of the confusion of bad habits and weight that steadily crept up and hugged my waist. I made progress, started to work out for the first time in my life. In novel terms, I received the call and met my mentor, NerdFitness. Then, I refused the call. Slunk slowly back to the old comforts of chocolate and sloth. 

Now, the ranger in me is ready. I'll take my first steps into a bold new venture. Step by Step to Mordor, and back. 

My overall goal I'm not sure of, yet. Mainly to gain stamina and reduce my waistline. I love walking, especially fell walking. But right now, I'm not fit enough for the big ones, the all day climbs. That's my goal. A female Aragorn, wandering the wilderness, is sort of my ideal. (I'm a huge LOTR/Hobbit fan)

For now, my steps are very small and basic. I will cook at least one healthy meal a day and fit in a minimum 15 minute walk a day, with an additional 30 minutes at least once a week. 

Day One (Today)

Healthy meal: dinner. Chicken stir-fry with courgettes, runner beans, mushrooms and peppers. 

Walking: back and forth to uni (around 15 - 20 minutes away). Twice there, once back (bf picked me up the last time)

Tomorrow, I am taking leftover chicken to work with some rice/quinoa mix. Work is just under an hour away on foot. So, I will be walking there (though since I finish at half ten at night, getting a lift home). 

• Like 2

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

Great goals! You've got this. Small steps are the way to go :)

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

By the way, how do I get this log to feature in my signature line as text (like your challenges) without it just showing the URL? Thanks 

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

By the way, how do I get this log to feature in my signature line as text (like your challenges) without it just showing the URL? Thanks 

Copy the full URL

Type text

Select text

ctrl+L OR cmd+L

Paste URL in the proper box

That should help :)

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

I couldn't quite get the URL to work for me... ah well. Sort of did what I wanted :)

Day Two:

Healthy meal: I almost don't want to count this as a success. Yes, I had chicken and rice/quinoa for dinner at work.... but I also had Terry's chocolate orange and flapjack today.... on the plus side, I now feel bloated and heavy, craving healthy foods. Tomorrow, I'm going to experiment with a hard-line approach, and just cut out the junk. Sort of a detox. I don't think I'd see Aragorn throwing back bars of chocolate and still having the stamina to stride across middle-earth...

Exercise: undisputed win on that one. An hour walk to work, which I actually really enjoyed. If only I didn't arrive with a flushed red face and t-shirt drenched in sweat :\ I sweat more than average when without exercise, so ppl at work are used to me changing my tops all the time, but still. My shirt was literally soaked. 

Spoiler

Right, yesterday.

It was a strange day. I mean, I achieved both my goals. I walked to and from the shopping centre for a pedometer (and hot chocolate, but that's beside the point, ahem.) Anyway, it was around 40 minutes there and back, which makes me think the goal I set of 15 minutes a day is a bit too small for me. I'm going to up it to 30 minutes of walking a day, with an hour's walk at least once a week. I'll track how many steps on my pedometer, but that's more out of interest, and the fact that it tracks how many miles my steps equate to. And calories, but starting small so they're not that big of a worry just yet. 

Food wise, I had poached chicken (yum, for the record! Why do people think it's diet food? So moist and flavourful). I added rosemary and basil to the water, and  ate it with green beans. Apparently, meals like that are supposed to be bland and boring beyond compare, but I loved it. I have weird tastebuds. 

The strange part was that in every other sense, it was a terrible day. I got literally no work done, which given the deadline for a 2000 words essay is approaching and I have yet to start said essay is alarming. But I literally couldn't do it. I didn't have a single useful, productive thought until 9pm, which is when I managed a measly one page of notes. Hm. Today's better. Starting to form a few ideas for the thing. 

Does anyone else find that they work better when they have other stuff to do in the day, like work or classes, than when you have a blank diary and are supposed to to get work done at home? It's something I need to work on....

Spoiler

Right, yesterday.

It was a strange day. I mean, I achieved both my goals. I walked to and from the shopping centre for a pedometer (and hot chocolate, but that's beside the point, ahem.) Anyway, it was around 40 minutes there and back, which makes me think the goal I set of 15 minutes a day is a bit too small for me. I'm going to up it to 30 minutes of walking a day, with an hour's walk at least once a week. I'll track how many steps on my pedometer, but that's more out of interest, and the fact that it tracks how many miles my steps equate to. And calories, but starting small so they're not that big of a worry just yet. 

Food wise, I had poached chicken (yum, for the record! Why do people think it's diet food? So moist and flavourful). I added rosemary and basil to the water, and  ate it with green beans. Apparently, meals like that are supposed to be bland and boring beyond compare, but I loved it. I have weird tastebuds. 

The strange part was that in every other sense, it was a terrible day. I got literally no work done, which given the deadline for a 2000 words essay is approaching and I have yet to start said essay is alarming. But I literally couldn't do it. I didn't have a single useful, productive thought until 9pm, which is when I managed a measly one page of notes. Hm. Today's better. Starting to form a few ideas for the thing. 

Does anyone else find that they work better when they have other stuff to do in the day, like work or classes, than when you have a blank diary and are supposed to to get work done at home? It's something I need to work on....

I understand that feeling! My goals sometimes go out the window when I don't have things to do during a day. 

And there's also a button at the top in the editor, second row, that's good for linking. If you hover over each button, it'll tell you what it does. that might help you get the link! Also make sure that the text that you want the link to be ( aka 'current challenge') is selected. Hope that's clearer!

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

It worked! Thanks so much! :)

Today... 5092 steps. Most of it trekking up and down the three flights of stairs to meet with my tutor about an assignment. One day, i will climb those stairs and not get out of breath! I did go to my Karate class as well. I'm still a newbie, but every small start helps! I have a real problem with balance, so every time I make it through the hour without falling over is a win! (I wish I was joking about that)

Walking: much less today. Just around the supermarket to buy a healthy dinner at work option for tomorrow so I'm not tempted by the bakers three shops down from mine..... :) Took ages since I was killing time before karate, so around 20 minutes. And those stairs. Will do much better tomorrow hopefully. Not counting today as a success at all.

Eating... again, healthy dinner of fish and broccoli, but I'm eating far too much junk. I really do crave chocolate when I don't have it, and trying to tell myself not to have any is like telling a child not to watch the TV when their favourite show is on. Once I've sorted out my main meals, including lunches, I'll work on the chocolate. I'm wincing as I write this. I have a love affair with chocolate that is far from healthy :\ It needs to be done though...

• Like 1

Spoiler

Not sure small steps are working for me. I eat a healthy dinner or lunch (both today!) but then because I'm not monitoring it, junk creeps in. Work doesn't help, since it's too easy to eat out of boredom. I'm actually ashamed of how much chocolate I've eaten in the past week. I'd hate to measure my blood sugar levels...

Walking - again, not practical on a day like today, at work for a long shift. I resorted to pacing the length of the shop when we didn't have customers in. No idea on time for that. I'm keeping up the habit though. Another walk to work tomorrow, then back, since I'm only dropping off keys, so should be about two hours. 

Does anyone know of BIG changes that have actually worked? Like, overhaul food systems, eating and exercise habits? Make lifestyle changes and focus on sticking to them till they become habit? Or, am I just being impatient? 

I was thinking I could take the Lord of the Rings theme further, somehow. Not sure yet how I'd go about it. I guess what I mean is that I'd apply Middle Earth analogies to my real world life. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

Sorry for the rambling nature of this post. I just know that I feel the need for a life shake-up. Small steps don't feel too much like progress. 

Spoiler

Have you thought about going Paleo with your diet? As changes go there's a big chance it will be very drastic, but if desperate times call for desperate measures . . .

I just got done reading the 'beginner's paleo' on this very site and honestly it's very exciting. I'm looking forward to trying it next week where possible. For one thing there's room for breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner and supper as long as you stick to what's on the list. Of course that might appeal more to a hobbit than a ranger. Still, eat like a hobbit, look like a ranger? I'd choose that over an Elven queen's hair any day of the week. (Still feel SO sorry for Gimli being reduced to comic relief in the movies)

For exercise, do you lift at all? I've heard it said that even bodyweight exercises can help build dense muscle (which won't make you bulky, certainly not overnight) and burn calories at the same time and the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. Some of us have more bodyweight to work with than others, of course, but the major advantage is that it costs nothing to get started on press-ups, squats, step-ups etc. I might be wrong, but I think NF has some bodyweight routines that can get you started.

I can't claim to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination but this is all info I've gleaned from these very forums (Or fora, if you prefer) so it ought to be worth something. Of course your mileage may vary, as with anything, but provided you do these things safely it's unlikely to make your situation worse.

In any case good luck with whatever you end up trying and most importantly, don't give up! May the stars shine on your face.

• Like 2

UltraGeek is right!

However, sometimes small steps feel like they're not helping. Working on the healthy meals is one way to start, then start working on chocolate and other unhealthier foods! Paleo is an option, it doesn't work for me personally but it works for many people!

Sent from my phone so please excuse the autocorrect errors

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

Have you thought about going Paleo with your diet? As changes go there's a big chance it will be very drastic, but if desperate times call for desperate measures . . .

I just got done reading the 'beginner's paleo' on this very site and honestly it's very exciting. I'm looking forward to trying it next week where possible. For one thing there's room for breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner and supper as long as you stick to what's on the list. Of course that might appeal more to a hobbit than a ranger. Still, eat like a hobbit, look like a ranger? I'd choose that over an Elven queen's hair any day of the week. (Still feel SO sorry for Gimli being reduced to comic relief in the movies)

I've thought about Paleo, but I've always been a bit hesitant of trying it. I'm a terrible cook, for one thing and I'm not 100% sure of what variety you can have with such a diet. I'm going to give it a go though, so thanks! Anything that lets me have a hobbit's attitude towards meals without the round belly has to be a good thing! Downloaded the paleo app, so at the next food shop I'll try it out! 

Gimli.... poor Gimli. Although I love the way he and Legolas interacted in the films. Helm's Deep is one of my cast-iron favourite moments. ("Don't tell the elf!") 

Exercise.... when I started out months ago, I was doing the Beginners Bodyweight Workout from this site, but then the bf filled the spare room with his stuff (man cave, apparently) and jumping jacks on the second floor probably wasn't best for the floorboards....  I've not yet summoned the courage to go to a gym. Going to clear out the garage, if I can brave the cold in there, and give it another go. I like the idea of weight training, but I'll stick to bodyweight for now. Social spaces in general are not my strong suit, let alone a gym. 

Thanks for the support. Needed it after the last couple of days I've had. Nice to meet a fellow LOTR fan too!

Spoiler

I've thought about Paleo, but I've always been a bit hesitant of trying it. I'm a terrible cook, for one thing and I'm not 100% sure of what variety you can have with such a diet. I'm going to give it a go though, so thanks! Anything that lets me have a hobbit's attitude towards meals without the round belly has to be a good thing! Downloaded the paleo app, so at the next food shop I'll try it out! 

Gimli.... poor Gimli. Although I love the way he and Legolas interacted in the films. Helm's Deep is one of my cast-iron favourite moments. ("Don't tell the elf!") 

Exercise.... when I started out months ago, I was doing the Beginners Bodyweight Workout from this site, but then the bf filled the spare room with his stuff (man cave, apparently) and jumping jacks on the second floor probably wasn't best for the floorboards....  I've not yet summoned the courage to go to a gym. Going to clear out the garage, if I can brave the cold in there, and give it another go. I like the idea of weight training, but I'll stick to bodyweight for now. Social spaces in general are not my strong suit, let alone a gym. 

Thanks for the support. Needed it after the last couple of days I've had. Nice to meet a fellow LOTR fan too!

On Paleo- Make SURE you eat LOTS of protein. That was always my mistake. All I could afford was chicken and salad half the time, especially on a meal plan in college. I've thought about doing it again, but I'm fairly happy with my diet as long as I keep a lid on my emotional eating. Once I get that straightened out, it'll be smooth(er) sailing (haha yeah right xD). I might try it again later, but modified a bit. 

On Exercise- Second floor will be alright, I have a 'second floor' room at home and it's over the garage. But bodyweight is a great place to start :) However with gyms, I honestly never never talk to anyone there. Some random guy helped me lower a squat bar once, I saw a friend in there once, and took a friend once. So it's not very social, it's not even awful once you get past the 'these muscular guys lifting 400+lbs are judging my dumbbells' feeling (they're not, they're too busy trying to squat 400+lbs), I enjoyed it. 

Gimli is hilarious, though he was a bit deeper in the books. I loved Helm's Deep, and the scene with the elephant 'It still only counts as one!'

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

Gimli is hilarious, though he was a bit deeper in the books. I loved Helm's Deep, and the scene with the elephant 'It still only counts as one!'

Haha! I love that bit! SO many great Legolas and Gimli moments. I'm ever so slightly addicted to the films (extended editions all the way for me now. I can't even watch the normal version without wanting to shout out "they missed that bit", "hey, where's the bit where they..." lol) Plus, I tend to re-read the books a lot. I'll read them all the way through every other year or so, but I know my favourite parts so well now I can just flick to the bits I want when I need a LOTR pick me up. And ranger inspiration :) I love the way Arwen has a bigger presence in the films too. Beauty and strength combined.

Yesterday was pretty good from a "catch up on my uni work" point of view. The documentary project was WAY behind (doesn't help with a fourth member of the group who doesn't do anything. Literally, nothing.) But nine solid hours later, with a one hour break for a class all three of us had, we finally have everything recorded and as I'm not editing... my part is over. One more paper/essay to hand in before christmas and it's awful. But I'll get there!

Exercise... I power walked to uni about 15/20 minutes away because I was running late, and ended up going up and down the stairs a lot, but other than that, nada. Around 5000 steps on my pedometer, anyhow. 

Food... No real junk as was too busy working, but packet sandwich for lunch and quiche with salad as a late dinner not so good. Nor was the chocolate cake I had around eleven, because I was tired and wanted comfort food after a long day  :nonchalance:  Going to have to cut that out soon. 

Today will be better. I need to nail this stupid, hateful essay (which will magically become easy whenever I move on to the next one, no doubt!) today so I can get round to the other stuff. Like putting up my xmas tree! 

Paleo will have to wait till next week. I managed to decide I want to give Paleo-ish a try... right after a food shop. Hmm. Not going to waste good food though, so will just have to mentally prepare myself for next week.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Last few days have gone alright. Catching up on uni work, if not sleep. Today was the christmas shopping trip followed by La Tasca, my favourite Spanish food restaurant thats not actually in Spain, and going to see Mockingly part 2. (Not as bad as part 1, but still. The first one was better)

So, I kinda threw the healthy eating out of the window, though I'll eat a healthy snack later probably. Still got loads to do for uni, which is taking up 90% of my time. Anyone have any ideas on how to balance the whole uni/work/life thing? It seems I go in cycles of "can't do x, y, z because I have to write this essay/read this article/finish writing this script, followed by a week of "okay, time off. Let's sleep." Really need to change that. 

On the plus side, walking around that shopping centre all morning did rack up over 4,000 steps, so it can't be all bad.... Christmas is coming! Unfortunately, so are all my January deadlines.... hmm. 

Spoiler

So, I kinda threw the healthy eating out of the window, though I'll eat a healthy snack later probably. Still got loads to do for uni, which is taking up 90% of my time. Anyone have any ideas on how to balance the whole uni/work/life thing? It seems I go in cycles of "can't do x, y, z because I have to write this essay/read this article/finish writing this script, followed by a week of "okay, time off. Let's sleep." Really need to change that. 

So this was always the thing that made it hard for me to keep going. One of the biggest things that helped me was cooking ahead of time so that during the week I didn't have to cook so much. Honestly, if you start with healthy eating and work your way from there, then you'll be able to work on adding workouts and such. That's the bit I'm trying to do- even if I'm not going to the gym or running or something, I'm eating well enough that I'm still training my body into healthy things. 

Just start with one healthy meal a day and work from there :)

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

So this was always the thing that made it hard for me to keep going. One of the biggest things that helped me was cooking ahead of time so that during the week I didn't have to cook so much

I need to start this! Today is food shop day, and I'm actually going to try making a meal plan for the week. Not sure how I'll work out the whole pre-cooking thing, but it's a start! Maybe I'll make a hotpot or lasagne or something for six people I can then portion out and freeze. Thank you!

I'm not overly worried about exercise just yet. Maybe once my January assignments are in, I'll fit in some workouts. My bf is getting this weird computer programme that attaches to a normal bike and you can cycle indoors whilst racing with other cyclists on the screen, or cycling through woods and stuff. He loves watching tour de france and other national races, but first sign of cold or rain and he won't set foot outdoors lol. I might give it a go.

One small success to report, though. I went to my first Karate grading yesterday. Super nervous, but I passed. (not sure they'd ever fail a white belt, but hey. Success is success!) So, I'm a blue belt now, yay! 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Okay today was pretty reasonable.

Got up to 7,200 steps, 3.44 miles today, mainly walking from home to uni and back. Unless it gets really late (like anytime I'm super behind on an assignment), I'm  walking home rather than getting picked up. Small changes! I still don't feel that great walking home in the dark, but its not too long and pretty safe round here. 

Breakfast was bacon and eggs, no salt or sauces, but still fried. Lunch was an apple and a satsuma with hot chocolate (purely because I wasn't hungry enough for a sandwich) and dinner was lamb steak, the fat cut off after cooking, with cremated sweet potato chips (followed a recipe on here, but I forgot to lower the timings for a fan oven. The non black bits were delicious, and it was my first attempt cooking with coconut oil, so still a win!) and a portion of peas (using up the end of a bag of frozen veg). Pretty paleo-ish, for day one!

I have steak again tomorrow, this time with corn on the cob, and a big pack of chicken drumsticks and thighs that I'll cook up for use throughout the week. Things are looking good! Now, if only I can find away to wean myself off my daily chocolate consumption, I'll be great.

I may go for the challenge starting in January as well. Not too sure what my goals will be though. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

Small steps :)

Make this sort of eating a habit first, then work on the chocolate. Successes build off of each other!

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

Up to 12,000 steps, 6.09 miles today. Back and forth to uni three times seems to be the trick to increasing mileage. Today was a one off though... hopefully. Assignments are finally coming together. Pretty good.

Food.... not so good. Got home tired, hungry and rain-soaked. Still had steak, but had boiled carrots rather than corn on the cob and way too much ice-cream with dessert. Also, too much chocolate again. I'm going to try not to worry about it, and focus on getting my meals right. So hard not to run around trying to change it all. 

So, my goal for tomorrow is simply to be better than today was, in terms of eating. I seem to be settling into a rhythm of healthy dinners. I just need to kick it up a gear, ditch one or two of the sweet things. 

I don't feel very ranger-like at the moment. Perhaps the miserable weather is rubbing off on me, but I have such a desire to get out and DO SOMETHING, that isn't work, uni or home. 

Sorry for the rambling post. Been a long day....

• Like 1

Spoiler

Feeling pretty proud of today. Went down to London to visit family, etc. That means around 2 hours travel each way, so I usually eat out for both lunch and dinner, and its never really healthy. This time, I packed a banana and a trail mix pack of dried fruit and seeds for lunch and waited till I got home for dinner - not easy with time to kill before my train home and a rumbling stomach. Still, I pass through Kings Cross, so distracted myself wandering around the Harry Potter shop :)

Dinner was late, but I managed it. Oven cooked chicken (I put dried parsley on it but no oil), mushrooms I had left over (only half a tablespoon of oil) and some cauliflower. Bit of a thrown together affair, but it tasted pretty good. Got plenty of chicken left for a few days, plus some leftover cauliflower for tomorrow's work lunch. 

Exercise... about 10,700 steps, just over 5 miles. Most of that trying to herd my sister's two boys around the shops to choose mummy's christmas present. So much more effort than I thought it would be!

Spoiler

I completely understand that feeling. I always wanna try to change everything at once, but you just can't. It's not feasible. This is going to stick better in the long run.

Congrats on the rhythm of healthy dinners! I remember when I realized that I was eating better overal- it's such a great feeling of accomplishment.

I hope you get to go do a thing soon!

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

Yesterday, I didn't eat so healthy. Too much chocolate, and a fish and chip dinner... fail. But, after almost backing out at least a dozen times, and a mental pep talk to get my legs to move, I went out for the christmas drinks with my work colleagues. I do not do social outings. They terrify me, even though I knew everyone there. But I did it! I didn't drink much, and left early, about midnight, when they were starting to get rounds of shots in, (I had a 10 am lecture this morning), but I don't like to get drunk anyway. I hate the feeling of not being in control of myself.

So, yeah. I think that counts as sort of a win. I didn't make a fool of myself, and I actually went out rather than make some excuse not to go, as I was going to.

Alex = 1. Social Anxiety = 0. 

Today was better. Walked to and from uni (about 40 minutes altogether), and survived my karate class. Last one for three weeks because of Christmas and they let us know it! It was a really good feeling though. Drenched in sweat and feet hurting from trying and failing to kick properly... but I'm making progress. It's a weird, happy kind of exhaustion. 

Prepping dinner ahead also paid off. Had to do last minute christmas shopping before class, and got home hungry and tired. Luckily leftover chicken was in the fridge to save me from a take-away. 

Spoiler

Been a while since my last update. I've successfully avoided actually working on my essay for one subject by reading various books on it, without actually writing. It's a horrible essay. But I'm keeping up with learning Spanish (I love learning it, so it's less of a chore than a break from actual study) and working on my other two assignments. But today, I am gluing myself to my chair and writing. Something. Anything. 

Exercise is also going pretty well. I'm not actually doing anything specific, but going to the shops or work, I walk to give myself my half hour of exercise a day. Eating.... less well. Though I saw my Dad for the first time in a few months today and the first thing he said to me was "you've lost weight". I don't see it, but maybe something's changing! My dinner's are still pretty healthy. It's just the junk food I'm eating far too much of. 

Spoiler