I just introduced myself on the Intros board, so I guess I had better kick off my Battle Log.

This is my daily occasional log of food and activity.

I won't lie to you (or myself) and promise to show up here every day to regurgitate my meals and relive my workouts.

I'll be happy if I actually DO my workouts.

I haven't done any of the Tiny Quests that have been assigned to me. And they are stacking up.

So far, I'm supposed to be walking for 10 minutes every day, changing one thing in my daily diet, and now, doing the BW exercise circuit every other day.

So far, nothing. I'm reading it. I'm thinking about it. I'm telling myself I'm going to start doing it. But, so far, nothing.

Here's a little back story which should shed some light on the title of my log.

In a previous life, I was a "Before and After" story. I was fat--fatter than I am now, but not by much. I was approaching my 48th birthday. My mother asked what would I like as a birthday present, and without thinking, I answered.... I have never figured out how or why I said "You can pay for a 10- week membership at Weight Watchers."

She was happy to do it. She was a Lifetime WW member who had lost a lot of weight and kept it off pretty well.

So, on my 48th birthday, I joined. I weighed in at 241.2, at 5'6" wearing size 22. I promised myself I would be Fit by Fifty.

17 months later, I hit my goal of 155. Six weeks later, I achieved Lifetime status at 147 pounds, and size 6. And my 50th birthday was over 5 months away.

I was the darling of my WW meetings. My success story was published in the WW Magazine and I was interviewed on local TV.  I trained to be a WW meeting leader on a part time basis. I really enjoyed helping others change their habits and achieve a healthy weight.

I started working with a trainer and learned the Olympic lifts. I was "this close" to signing up for my first competition when real life happened.

There was a series of serious health issues among members of my family, including my own complicated medical problems, which I ignored in favor of looking after everyone else. I eventually resolved my health issues and was given a clean bill of health and the OK to resume training.

I've made some attempts. I've started many times. Every time I start, it's from further back. I hate it and it has to stop. Like that old saying: "If you're tired of starting over--stop quitting!"

Without going into any more boring details, it boils down to this: I have once again found myself at the "Before" stage. 

My  intention is to Get Back To The After.

• Like 4

It was a long and busy day at work and now I have three days off.

I'm patting myself on the back today for actually throwing away some Christmas candy. Yes! :peaceful:

Food today:

B- Ham, eggs fried in coconut oil on top of a hash of roasted Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes. Cherry tomatoes on the side.

L- My pre-holiday luncheon with my work friend. Burger with green chilies and avocado. I didn't eat the bun, but I did have some waffle fries.

D-Spaghetti squash with meat sauce. Sliced fresh pineapple.

So I splurged a little at lunch. It was worth it. I took a nice (but short) walk, too.

I've organized my workout plan for the next week. Workout days will be Wed, Fri, Sun, as long as I'm not too sore. I have a good mobility routine that I will start doing every day. It helps my old joints a lot. :redface:

• Like 1

I am working on planning out my goals for the Jan 2016 Challenge. I have a good idea of the main goal and three supporting goals. After some thought, I realize that I want to set a life side quest. I have a piano that has sat untouched for longer than I care to admit. I will get back into the habit of practicing regularly. I have a friend that is musically inclined, and I would like to pursue that.

Breakfast is calling....later.

B- Eggs fried in coconut oil on top of a hash of ground beef, onions, mushrooms, roasted Brussels sprouts, and sweet potatoes. Cherry tomatoes on the side.

I know, my breakfast doesn't change much. I love the sprouts with runny eggs on top. Good stuff.

L- hot dogs, no buns. These are good quality franks, no junk. Assorted salad vegetables with dipping sauce made with homemade mayo. Applesauce.

D- chicken tenderloins, sweet potatoes, green beans with ghee. Slice of pineapple.

S- handful of nuts.

• Like 1

Thursday, Christmas Eve

B-my usual breakfast. Eggs, sprouts, sweet potatoes, ham, cherry tomatoes.

I don't get tired of eggs and Brussels sprouts for breakfast. And to think just a few years ago, I wouldn't touch a B.sprout with a ten foot fork. Roasting them with bacon does the trick.

L- sliced turkey breast, assorted salad vegetables, dipping sauce made with homemade mayo, olives

D- Mexican Beef (NomNomPaleo), sweet potatoes, kale

This morning, I spent some time working on my Quest goals for the upcoming challenge. I think I have them ironed out.

I have also been thinking about how I don't relate well with RPGs. I never really played them, though I do enjoy some video games. I'm old, so I'm sure my tastes are ancient. I used to play Age of Empires a lot. It was the old Windows 98 version, I think. The current version is online, with multiple players and is too complicated for my old brain. I tried to like it, but...no luck. I found myself going in circles and not able to start any missions.

So....I'm having to really work at thinking about my Life and my Quest in the context of gaming. I figure it can't hurt my creativity to try to picture myself in a video game...

On tap for today: no holiday plans. All family is out of town and the weather outside is frightful.

That said, my plan for the day is my usual Thursday stuff. Menu planning for the week and the big Cook-Up.

Cooked up today: Breakfast Casserole, Paleo Brownies (no dairy, no sugar, no grain), roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon, Kalua Pig, steam-baked potatoes, roasted sweet potatoes, applesauce.

Time for my workout. BBL

• Like 1

I did the Beginner's BW workout that came in my email.
Yikes! I'm more out of shape than I thought. Plus I'm heavier than I have been in a dozen years.

Joint mobility warm up, then...
I did one circuit of:
20 squats- to a chair--I will have to work up to ass-to-grass squats
10 push-ups-to the wall.
20 lunges- not the best form; I'm very weak in the legs
10 rows each arm- 12 kg Kettlebell
15 second plank
30 KB swings (in place of jumping jacks) 12 kg

Cool down and stretch

I can tell after one circuit that I will feel it tomorrow. And I'll do better next time..

It's hard to believe that I could once do what Pudgy Stockton is doing in my profile pic. Getting old is a hard job.

• Like 2

Merry Christmas!

We have fresh snow on the ground and it's very quiet and peaceful. Nice.

I'm not surprised that I can feel my legs this morning. I am surprised that I don't hurt more. Maybe the DOMS will hit me tomorrow; or maybe I modified the Beginner BW workout enough. We'll see.

Lunges kill me, and I know I need to strengthen them a LOT before I can do TGUs--even naked (no weight) ones.

I probably could have done the pushups at an incline, but my right shoulder would be screaming this morning. Taking it easy. Brick by brick.

No big holiday plans for the day, just visiting DH's mom who's in assisted living. If the sun comes out, we may go for a walk around the neighborhood. Maybe.

B- my usual: ham, fried eggs on top of B.sprouts/sweet potatoes, cherry tomatoes

L- popcorn and a movie

D- Kalua Pig with braised cabbage (NomNomPaleo), kale & carrots, applesauce.

Not the most festive of holiday meals, but it's just us. Popcorn is a huge splurge, though.

• Like 1

Back to work today, and it will be extremely busy. I'll have to catch up from the holiday and get ready for end of month/year reports.

I'm still a bit sore in quads/glutes, but that's a good thing. I'll do my mobility routine and stretch a little and be ready for a workout tomorrow, as planned.

B - fried eggs on top of has of ground beef/onion/mushroom/B.sprouts, tomatoes on the side

S - Paleo snack cake w/coffee

L- big salad topped with turkey, bacon and guacamole

S- cookies at work. (unplanned)

D- spaghetti squash with meat sauce, pineapple

oops, I caved and had a few cookies at work. No more of that $#%@

• Like 1

It looks like you've gotten off to a good start! I'm interested in your mobility routine (I can always use a little help there). Would you mind sharing it?

Before my workout, I warm up with Andrea DuCane's warm up routine from her DVD, "Kettlebell Goddess." It's very basic.

On non workout days, I'm following the warm up from Nia Shank's book,  Fat Loss Detour.  The warm up is by Mike Robertson. Both have a lot of information and videos on their websites.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Hi, Sorry to interrupt your journal.  I think its really impressive what you did in the past getting to where you were :)  I think you'll get back there in no time!  I'm also impressed with your side quest....I still haven't really figured out that stuff.... :tongue:

Hi and thanks!

I'm very new here at the NF forums, but I've been around other sites and forums quite a bit. One of the things I enjoy most is learning new things. I'm looking forward to getting acquainted.

• Like 2

It's Sunday Night. It was a busy day at work and I'm glad to be home.

Good News, Bad News.

Bad News: I didn't stick to my vow to eat clean today at work. :upset:

Good News: I did my workout and progressed a little. Very little. :peaceful: But I did it. I didn't let the donut at work derail my workout at home. I have to settle for baby steps right now, as long as they are in the right direction.

I have to do some reading about the new challenge coming up. But first, I have to watch a football game.

• Like 2

After reading what's available about the new challenge, I'm thinking I may have to modify my goals.....

But first, I have to join the real world and go to work. 

Give what you have set up a go for your first challenge. The good thing about a first challenge is that there WILL be more after that and you can adjust accordingly. :)

Don't work too hard and can't wait to see your setup for challenge one.

Man, it was a long day at work today. We have one person on vacation and a lot of work to do for the end of year reporting. My boss started out in a foul mood, but it improved as the day went on.

I did okay with my eating, but not as well as I had planned. I'm a little sore from my workout, but I can tell my muscles are accepting the new load.

I'm anxious to get started with the new challenge. I am great at making plans, but not so great about executing them, especially if I get delayed or interrupted.

Like now. I am getting interrupted every few minutes. I had better stop here and go do some family stuff.

• Like 3

I had the day off from work today. I spent much of the morning doing the weekly shopping and some cooking. I have the week's meals planned and prepped.

I worked out my goals for the upcoming challenge. I made quite a few changes.

The main reason: I'm no where near strong enough or flexible enough to start Simple & Sinister. So....I'm going with Nia Shanks' "Train To Be Awesome" beginner's Blast Off. It's set up for 8 weeks, so I'll go through 2 challenges with it, then hopefully, I'll be fit enough for S&S.

Of course, I'm anxious to see the example challenges that will be offered to Rebels here. I'm not much of a gamer or fan of science fiction, so I'm a little out of the loop on a lot of what goes on here. A lot out of the loop.

I'll figure it out. Learning is one of my best things.

• Like 2

Don't worry about whether it's right or wrong. If it's right for you, you'll know once you get started. If it isn't right all you have to do is modify your plans. Almost everyone ends up modifying their challenge at some point. Don't let perfectionism keep you from starting. Sometime I have to chant "Progress, not Perfection" at myself to keep from making myself crazy over every mistake. Have fun with your challenge. I think that's the most important thing.

As for S&S, if you want to work up to it with another program that's fine, but you can modify S&S and work up to things with it too. I've been doing it for almost two months (with a few breaks because of travel, funerals and dental surgery) and I still can't do a full TGU with the kettlebell. 

Battle Log

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Fitbit, Epic Quest Character

Don't worry about whether it's right or wrong. If it's right for you, you'll know once you get started. If it isn't right all you have to do is modify your plans. Almost everyone ends up modifying their challenge at some point. Don't let perfectionism keep you from starting. Sometime I have to chant "Progress, not Perfection" at myself to keep from making myself crazy over every mistake. Have fun with your challenge. I think that's the most important thing.

As for S&S, if you want to work up to it with another program that's fine, but you can modify S&S and work up to things with it too. I've been doing it for almost two months (with a few breaks because of travel, funerals and dental surgery) and I still can't do a full TGU with the kettlebell. 

Thanks for this.

Everything that's old is new to me, and that's a good thing. Just a little scary. I want to fit in, but I sometimes try too hard and it backfires.

And that seems really silly coming from a 62 year old.

Nia Shanks' program should give me a good strength foundation for S&S. Nia has been kind enough to suggest some modifications and substitute exercises that will work with the equipment I have at home. (No suspension equipment or pull up bar yet.) Plus, I will work some swings in on most days, too.

I love my KBs, and I'm ashamed that I neglected them this past year. I even named my first 3: 8kg- PeeWee; 12kg-Junior; 16kg-Butch. :playful:

• Like 1

I'm trying to get and stay organized and there's a lot of new stuff going on here. I'll start my challenge thread later, in the meantime, I'll use this space to get my $hit together.

My goals for my first 4 week challenge:  Monday, January 4 - Friday, January 29, 2016

EAT CLEAN: Whole 30 template for most meals. No off-plan eating at work, unless it's a planned splurge. No secret eating. Try at least one new menu item each week.

LIFT HEAVY (for me): Nia Shanks' "Train to Be Awesome" program, at the beginner level; three workouts every week. I will have to modify some exercises to work with my equipment at home. Nia has been kind enough to provide me with some substitute exercises.

KEEP SCORE: Take measurements on day zero (Sun, Jan 3). Log food (every bite--the good bad and ugly) and activity.

INNER STRENGTH/MOTIVATION: Journal every day, including expressing gratitude and listing reasons I'm doing this. Participate daily in the NF community and other support networks. Make time for at least 15 minutes of "ME" time every day.

My 2016 Quest (The Year 2016)

During this 12 months, I will lose whatever fat it takes to fit into size 10 clothes or smaller (currently a tight 18). My progress will be tracked by weekly measurements at neck, bust, waist, hips, thigh, calf, forearm, and wrist. And by how my clothes fit, of course.

I will do the measurements on Sundays. I will weigh myself on day 1 and at the end of the challenge. This isn't about pounds lost; it's about fat lost.

During this 12 months, I will complete Simple & Sinister (KB training). I will be able to perform the Simple standard.

Rewards: new clothes throughout the year, as needed. Additional Kettlebells as needed. Retirement.

• Like 2