Experiential Happiness Experiment PVP [open] [until April 30]

[For everyone, whether or not you're currently happy]

In this PVP you can discover what (unexpected) factors affect your everyday happiness - so that in the future you can make simple changes to cause you more joy. :)

For example, when I did a trial of this experiment in December I learned that if I was tired, I would not feel much joy even if I had many reasons to be happy. Therefore, this 4-week challenge I'm making sleep a priority.

Psychology: our minds are not very good at remembering our past thoughts, so our minds guess what we probably thought ("Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman has more details). Usually this is a useful hack, but means that there are some factors that affect our mood that we don't notice.

Experiment: to learn more about what affects your mood, at random times during the day ask yourself how joyful you're feeling, and what factors are affecting it. After a couple of weeks, you can look at the data you've collected to make conclusions.

Method: there are (at least) three ways to randomly remember to make a note of your happiness:

• random notifications: using a smartphone app, or similar, have an alarm alert you ~5 times per day. I use "Sleep Check Reminder" for Android, which is actually a lucid dreaming app (!) but its settings were more configurable than what I found elsewhere. Alternatives - in decreasing order of suitability - include:
    • TagTime --- probably best
    • Sleep Check Reminder --- what I'm using
    • AlarmRoller Random Reminders
    • Forget Location Reminder (overpowered but should work)
    • EmotionSense (an happiness experiment organized by Cambridge University)
    • Roaming Reminder
    • + I'm sure there are more, including iPhone-only

An alternative would be to ask someone each day to set some alarms at surprise times (so you don't expect them).

• planned notifications: if there are any situations that you're particularly interested about, then remember to notice your happiness at that time. For example, if you think your commute is boring but want to check whether it saps your happiness, then remember this next time you're on your commute. You might find that actually you're having lots of fun listening to the radio! Maybe set an alarm for an appropriate time so you won't forget
  • unplanned notifications: if you randomly remember about this experiment during the day, you can (optionally) notice your happiness then too

I suggest that at minimum you have either planned notifications or random notifications when you take part, but ideally have both. It's up to you, but you'll get better conclusions if you sample a wide variety of situations.

I'd suggest 5-10 notifications per day so you get some data but it's not a noticeable time investment.

Results: each time you collect data about your mood, I'd suggest collecting the following:

• day and time (approximate is fine)
  • happiness score on a scale from 1-7 (or another rating system if you prefer)
  • current activity
  • factors affecting your mood (e.g. environment, worries, positive thoughts, etc.)

You may like to collect other information, like:

• description of mood (excited, angry, bored, relaxed, etc.)
  • are you focused on the activity
  • are your muscles tensed?
  • what were you thinking about?
  • music you're listening to (if any)
  • who is present
  • + other things you want to track

However, in some situations you might not have a chance to write down the result immediately, so it's best to stick to a small list. If you rate your happiness and think of a couple of factors affecting it, that information is easy to remember later on when it's appropriate to write down the result.

Conclusions: at the end of your experiment, interpret the results of your challenge however you like, but a couple of points:

• what common themes (environment, thoughts) affected your mood? Can you change these?
  • correlation does not imply causation! If you're always sad when doing X, maybe doing X makes you sad, but maybe instead you do X when you're sad because it distracts you.

How to participate: if you'd just like to watch/discuss, that's okay :) If you're going to join me:

• you're free to share as much or as little information with us as you like. If your results or conclusions are something you'd prefer to keep secret, just don't post all/any of them
  • post to let us know you intend to join the experiment
  • choose a period (I suggest 2 weeks, but it's up to you) during which you'll make notes on your happiness
  • choose how you'll notify yourself, and how you'll record your results
  • if you have any thoughts or problems, post them here so we can help each other

Good luck everyone: let's get wise :)

• Like 2

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

This is a thread I will follow with much interest.

Unfortunately, I won't be taking part on it for now, because I'm rather busy trying to accept those two slaps on my face the book I'm reading gave me last night over my behavior and attitude towards my goals. I've got to work on that urgently... and I've already given in to the assassins mini!

I had really forgotten how active is this guild, oh my

• Like 2

Unfortunately, I won't be taking part on it for now, because I'm rather busy trying to accept those two slaps on my face the book I'm reading gave me last night over my behavior and attitude towards my goals. I've got to work on that urgently... and I've already given in to the assassins mini!

I feel you, am in a similar situation. Very intrigued by this yet super busy with my goals as is (and gave in to the mini after all as well)...

Dan, this is awesome, I want to do it and appreciate your suggestion of a two week time frame so for instance if I join in second half of January would also work, right?

I used to have a "happy list" of things that make me feel good, but it would be great to review, my life has gotten so much busier since, so this should be very enlightening indeed.

• Like 2

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

I'm in...  I'll work out a plan in the near future. :)

Cool :) looking forward to seeing how it works for you!

:o *checks out the Assassin mini*

Dan, this is awesome, I want to do it and appreciate your suggestion of a two week time frame so for instance if I join in second half of January would also work, right?

Yes, of course that's fine :) I can even extend the PvP if many people want it later on. Joining us for the second half of the challenge would be perfect.

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

I just tried TagTime but they had a typo, darg instead of drag, and I just couldn't.

I'm in though, just need to find an app. :)

Haha, they go to all the hard work making an app that works, and then make a silly typ0 :P Any luck yet finding an app?

How's it going Dan?  Any trends yet?

I have 24 data points over 5-and-a-half days. It's too early to draw conclusions, but music seems to have a positive effect even if it's doom metal, and the endorphin high after exercise has a positive effect too. Being tired has a negative effect; I had an amazing sleep last night and suddenly I'm scoring 6 (on my scale from 1-7). Physical discomfort (being too cold, etc.) has more of a negative effect than I anticipated.

But most of that is unsurprising, and I'll need more data before I can draw proper conclusions :)

A problem I have with the data collection is that I don't hear any notification or remember to create a data point when I'm doing interesting activities, so most of them end up being when I'm just sitting at my desk.... I should add some planned notifications to deal with this. I'm at a restaurant for a friend's birthday this evening so I should do a couple then.

• Like 3

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

I did, but data tracking hasn't really happened yet. I found myself in the same position as you, I never hear my phone so I only see the notifications when I pick it up. But I will give it a proper go soon.

Truthfully, this sounds like a good problem.  Too busy having fun to document how happy one is = nerd problems.

• Like 2

Love as thou wilt.

This is pretty interesting. Maybe I'll pick it up with the next challenge if it's still active.

If a few people want to commit to doing it next challenge, I'll keep it open :)

I did, but data tracking hasn't really happened yet. I found myself in the same position as you, I never hear my phone so I only see the notifications when I pick it up. But I will give it a proper go soon.

Have you managed to collect some data now? Even a small amount can be insightful even if you skip days or only get a couple of data points per day. I've been really intermittent, but have 46 data points spread out over a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll try to get 100 total by the end of the challenge....

Truthfully, this sounds like a good problem.  Too busy having fun to document how happy one is = nerd problems.

Haha, I think anybody documenting their happiness is probably some sort of nerd  :pirate: How are you doing with this? Did you figure out a way to start?

Update: so I slacked most of last week, but picked it back up again on the weekend. I'm now at 46 data points, so by the end of the challenge I should be able to make some sensible conclusions based on what I've recorded.

• Like 2

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

So I have 111 data points so far, and might collect a few more today. Then I'll analyze and publish some conclusions :)

It looks like no-one else got round to doing this experiment this challenge - does anyone want this kept open for next challenge? Otherwise I'll have it closed in a week's time as per protocol.

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

So I have 111 data points so far, and might collect a few more today. Then I'll analyze and publish some conclusions :)

It looks like no-one else got round to doing this experiment this challenge - does anyone want this kept open for next challenge? Otherwise I'll have it closed in a week's time as per protocol.

I'm interested in doing this; especially since I'm going to be tracking food and sleep for the next challenge.

• Like 1

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

So, I took two weeks of time from Jan 11th to Jan 24th to track my mood and related circumstances.  I set up 6 alarms to go off during the day and then answered them whenever I saw them.  It was interesting to collect the data, now it’s time to analyze!

Warning: Raw Data behind ze

1/11

0609 - 7 - happy, calm
0733 - 5 - cold toes, anxious re: work
1049 - 6 - enjoying rounds
1226 - 5 - stressed re work, tasty lunch
1605 - 4 - Hectic, too much to do

1/12
1123 - 6 - tea, let’s round!
1325 - 4 - stressed, running

And then I realized tracking on my phone was more likely to happen that in a separate book. ;)

1/13
0512 - 6 - waking up, somewhat stiff
0737 - 8 - relaxed, tasty breakfast
1105 - 4 - all the work stress
1225 - 5 - grand rounds, full, work stress
1805 - 3 - craaaaaaazy rounds are crazy
2031 - 6 - yay dancing, still lots to do…

1/14
0510 - 4 - ugh I don’t wana do journal club
0733 - 8 - good breakfast, productive
1245 - 5 - busy busy as per usual
1737 - 6 - heading home, 5+ notes to go
2027 - 2 - just finished last note on chronic Lyme, tired, overworked, and without sugar

1/15
0510 - 3 - don’t wanna get out of bed or exercise
0754 - 5 - less bad ;)
1303 - 3 - sick of being an intern
1529 - 6 - homeward bound
2106 - 5 - should go to bed but video games

1/16
0630 - 7 - sleeeeep and fancy light :)
0815 - 8 - tuck L-sit!!!!!
1408 - 5 - lots yet to do
1746 - 7 - very productive
1953 - 8 - wine, former roomie, and Who

1/17
0630 - 7 - time to move it move it
0739 - 7 - getting ready for church
1318 - 6 - enjoying kitteh snuggles but sorta restless
1737 - 8 - junk food and skyping with mom!
1953 - 5 - don’t wanna work tomorrow

1/18
0528 - 6 - not bad?
0733 - 6 - cold toes
1209 - 8 - heading home!
1254 - 7 - still on ze bus
1549 - 5 - cold, and stop paging me
1745 - 7 - full, warm, making progress
1953 - 7 - hunting rebels

1/19
0609 - 6 - slow start today
0852 - 5 - cold and late
1241 - 6 - still hungry :(
1629 - 6 - overfull, gotta workout
1853 - 8 - strong, pleasantly full, brewing tea
1953 - 8 - tea, Dragon, video games

1/20
0627 - 7 - not bad at all
0923 - 6 - cold
1213 - 6 - stressful talk with ICU
1525 - 7 - good, interesting
1737 - 7 - meditating
2046 - 8 - and sleep

1/21
0724 - 5 - presenting = anxious
AND then there were public tears during the day… so consider a few 2-3 scores
1538 - 6 - teaching and stuff, still stress

1/22
0715 - 7 - ralying
1240 - 8 - fun with the team
1650 - 5 - intense family meeting
1737 - 6 - cold and hungry
2023 - 7

1/23
0612 - 7 - day off!!!
0733 - 9 - kitteh pj tea snuggles!!!
1052 - 8 - avengers and workout and tea
1253 - 8 - bath and tea and mmmmm
1955 - 7 - good day

1/24
0649 - 7 - good start
0733 - 8 - brief kitteh snuggles are still lovely
1348 - 6 - nap time
1537 - 7 - warm
1737 - 6 - restless
1953 - 7 - tea!

Phew!  Data!

• Like 3

Love as thou wilt.

Observations

• friends, family, tea, good breakfast, and kitteh snuggles are correlated with high happiness

• work is correlated with 6 and under

• expectations of public speaking or conflict are serious sources of stress and/or breakdown

• cold toes make me less happy

• business and pending work are my most frequent happiness sucks

Do you guys see other patterns in the data?  I’m curious as to your thoughts, since they will be more objective.   ;)

• Like 2

Love as thou wilt.

Observations

• friends, family, tea, good breakfast, and kitteh snuggles are correlated with high happiness

• expectations of public speaking or conflict are serious sources of stress and/or breakdown

• cold toes make me less happy most frequent happiness sucks

Do you guys see other patterns in the data?  I’m curious as to your thoughts, since they will be more objective.   ;)

I am glad to see I am not the only one that loses happiness when feet are cold  :mellow:

It's a pity your job is so stressing. It is not only the scores, is the words you use to refer to it (mostly "stress" and "anxious"). Is there anything you can do about it? 

• Like 1

I am glad to see I am not the only one that loses happiness when feet are cold  :mellow:

It's a pity your job is so stressing. It is not only the scores, is the words you use to refer to it (mostly "stress" and "anxious"). Is there anything you can do about it? 

Very very good question.  I've been advised to do some "soul searching" about this fact.  Maybe would be good for PM time, oh Wise one?

• Like 1

Love as thou wilt.

I'm interested in doing this; especially since I'm going to be tracking food and sleep for the next challenge.

Okay cool :) I'll extend the timeframe until the end of February so you can run your experiment and get feedback here.

Observations

• cold toes make me less happy

• business and pending work are my most frequent happiness sucks

Yay, I'm very pleased that I have someone else with results :) Thanks for joining in! I'm still analyzing mine (I'm having a super unproductive week do far, meh) but I'll post that soon! It's amusing that cold toes make you unhappy (I find the same!) but I wonder which way the correlation goes? It could be:

• my toes are cold => I'm unhappy (discomfort); or
  • I'm tired => I'm unhappy and my feet are cold; or
  • I'm hungry => I'm unhappy and my feet are cold; or
  • (maybe another explanation)

A big theme in your data is seeking comfort (kittens and breakfast) so maybe you could find some comfort things at work to look forward to? Especially social things in case you find your workplace somewhat impersonal?

Also, I think with time and experience you'll become more numb to the anxiety of public speaking and conflict, where it's more of a mundane part of your job, and it won't worry you so much.

• Like 3

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

Okay cool :) I'll extend the timeframe until the end of February so you can run your experiment and get feedback here.

Yay, I'm very pleased that I have someone else with results :) Thanks for joining in! I'm still analyzing mine (I'm having a super unproductive week do far, meh) but I'll post that soon! It's amusing that cold toes make you unhappy (I find the same!) but I wonder which way the correlation goes? It could be:

• my toes are cold => I'm unhappy (discomfort); or
  • I'm tired => I'm unhappy and my feet are cold; or
  • I'm hungry => I'm unhappy and my feet are cold; or
  • (maybe another explanation)

A big theme in your data is seeking comfort (kittens and breakfast) so maybe you could find some comfort things at work to look forward to? Especially social things in case you find your workplace somewhat impersonal?

Also, I think with time and experience you'll become more numb to the anxiety of public speaking and conflict, where it's more of a mundane part of your job, and it won't worry you so much.

This is really helpful, Dan.  I think this is exactly why I've been eating comfort food too.  Better ways to comfort my poor anxious self... hmmmm....

My life hasn't really ever been free of public speaking or conflict.  It gets easier when it is more frequent, but I doubt it will ever be mundane for me.  :(

• Like 1

Love as thou wilt.