This is a test of the emergency broadcast system. Please remain calm.

Hey rebels!

Name's Justin. I joined up about three weeks ago, and am just getting back into the swing of regular physical activity again.

Much of my exercise in the past few years has been dictated by circumstance. I was riding my bike 150km a week to get to and from work for about a year, losing nearly 20 pounds in the process. Cue the job change, couldn't ride into work anymore because of the distance and the times. On top of that, the new job was as a city bus driver...so lots of sitting. I regained all of that weight over this past year, and have been struggling to find a way to stay active that would actually be motivating.

I normally hate the gym, for the same reason I hate running on a track (actually, I mostly just hate running outside of the context of a sport). The goal of being fit isn't enough for me. I want...adventure.

Nerd Fitness helped me draw the mental line between being fit and being adventurous. I have two young boys, which means that for the time being, serious expeditions are out. But...it gives me time to plan em and work up to being able to accomplish them. I love and have varying levels of experience with sports like rock climbing, kayaking, skiing and cycling; they really speak to me.

So, current state, goals, and hurdles.

I am 29 years old, 6'2" and weigh about 200-205 pounds. I signed up with the company fitness program, giving me cheap access to a fairly well equipped gym. Since my shifts are late at night and the gym is open 24 hours, I can usually get time in there alone. I go on days 1, 3 and 5 (my weekend changes roughly every quarter), and am currently plowing my way through Dumbbell Division 2. There is still a little tweaking to do with how heavy the weights are, but I am just about dialled in. Each weight listed is x2, since it is with dumbbells and not a barbell.

DB bench press: 35s, probably moving to 40s next time.

DB step ups: 50s, staying there for now until my grip strength improves.

DB lunges: 20s, but so far don't have an accurate read. I last tried them after finishing a 5k run, and my legs were shot.

Goblet Squat: 45, probably going to move to a bar for this, because heavier weights get to be pretty awkward

Pull ups: Big fat zero. I can do a chin up or two, but my back is just not that strong. Sticking with inverted rows for now.

I am also trying to build some running into the plan, helped along by Zombies, Run! For the first time in maybe 4 years, I went for a run the other night. Managed to complete just over 5k in that time. Not incredible, but encouragingly better than I expected.

So that's basically where I stand. Goals? My goals are actually NOT gym related. As you read earlier, I want my fitness to be about going out and doing stuff. The more able I am out there, the better. My main epic quests are to learn Parkour and do a sprint across the local university campus without stopping, as well as going on a multi-day, multi-disciplinary expedition. Think biking, climbing and kayaking all worked into one. I also have a shorter term goal of running in the local 10k race, coming up in April.

Hurdles. Habits. Exercise is not new to me. Eating well is not new to me. Doing both consistently is. So far I am dominating the exercise habit. Even when I forgot my gym clothes, I still went home (night shift, remember) and did a 5k zombie run and bodyweight workout at the park...at 3am. Haven't missed a day yet.

Food is harder. I am certainly eating better than I have in a long time and with much greater consistency, but the moments of weakness are coming a little too frequently for my liking. Staying on top of food prep is key, given how easy it is to buy food on the road in my line of work.

So there it is. Feel free to ask me questions. I am very glad to be here. I am so motivated in large part because of how this place speaks my language.

• Like 2

Well, keep in mind I've been out of the game for a while and am just getting back in.

First, start slow. By that I mean plan on your first run being about 10 or 15 minutes. Start by just walking. Walk for 2 minutes, jog for 1. It should end with 1 minute of walking. You need to get a feel for how your joints handle pavement and if your lung capacity, cardio health and leg muscles are up to the task.

Bring up both the intensity of the jog and the total run time at the same time in small increments, keeping tabs on how your body handles the stress.

Once you know what you can do comfortably, then you start pushing like you would with weight training. I like to alternate. Do a slightly longer run, then do the same length next time, only faster. If I can't do it faster, I keep on that length until I can.

Try and plan it so that you reach 5 K a few weeks before a race. That way you can really cement it and then take some time to rest up.

• Like 1

Well, keep in mind I've been out of the game for a while and am just getting back in.

First, start slow. By that I mean plan on your first run being about 10 or 15 minutes. Start by just walking. Walk for 2 minutes, jog for 1. It should end with 1 minute of walking. You need to get a feel for how your joints handle pavement and if your lung capacity, cardio health and leg muscles are up to the task.

Bring up both the intensity of the jog and the total run time at the same time in small increments, keeping tabs on how your body handles the stress.

Once you know what you can do comfortably, then you start pushing like you would with weight training. I like to alternate. Do a slightly longer run, then do the same length next time, only faster. If I can't do it faster, I keep on that length until I can.

Try and plan it so that you reach 5 K a few weeks before a race. That way you can really cement it and then take some time to rest up.

Cool. Thanks.

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria