About me 

I've been around the forum for a bit, not really posting - just reading. 

That changes - starting now. 

Im starting lifting (5x5) on my own and thought I'd share my experience - hopefully get some help and advice too!! 

Im 5'3 and around 55kg (haven't weighed in a while - so who knows) 

goals

1) 3 workouts per week (mon,wed,fri) 

Alternating 2 different workouts which I will post here 

2) Sleep 8 hours each night 

As a student I find this very tough - between nights out, early lectures and Netflix I think this goal will be really hard to do.  

I'll be tracking my sleep on an app on my phone as a rough guide. 

3) Plan my weeks activities in advance 

Every Sunday or Wednesday sort out what I'm doing over the next few days, essay deadlines lab reports.... all that fun stuff. 

So far.. 

1) I've been doing the workouts for the past few weeks - only twice a week though, so I'm upping it to 3 times as of next week 

2) I've got much better at saying no to midweek nights out and late night TV marathons.. still have a way to go with this 

3) not made any real progress on this so far...  now I'm accountable to others and committed to planning I will make progress on this goal. 

boring? possibly.

mischief managed! 

I like your workout routine.  Is it stronglifts?

It is - I've changed it a little as I've found squatting every other day to be quite tough, so i do a few more sets of deadlifts instead.... hopefully that will work out better for me. 

Hey! I'm a newbie too, and already intimidated because you're a million steps ahead of me.

cin vhetin.

I look forward to growing with you.

Ive tried and failed a few times already - so this time I'm a bit more sure of what I'm doing.  Looking forward to taking the next steps together!  :peaceful:

I'm a big fan of squats, i think they changed my life.  But deadlifts is a solid alternative to concentrate on.  good luck to you!  It's the best workout routine you'll find in my opinion.

Yojimbo, Novice

Level 5 Ranger

Health:

26%
26%

Experience:

8%
8%

Current boss battle:

Udacity and Side Projects

54%
54%

update - 13/02/16 

I've been ill this week so pushed my Friday gym sesh back a day: 

squats - 5x5 @ 32KG

rows  -5x5 @ 16KG

OHP  - 1x5 @15

- 3x5 @10

- 1x5 @5 

(I've been doing OHP on the machine - will change to dumbbells next week as the weight increments are too much, and boo machines :playful: ) 

noticed the gym was much less busy than during the week  :peaceful: