Nerd Fitness Short Story Competition (Interest Check)

This was something that we used to do at the old mxtabs forum back when I didn't pay for my own internet. I just remembered it the other day and I thought some people here may be interested.

Basically, here's how it works:

1. A new topic is made with a stimulus piece to write about (it could be an image, a quote, a song or even just a single word)

2. Writers then have two weeks to opt in to participating and write their story on that stimulus.

3. The thread is locked (we'll need a moderator for that... *hint*) and a week is given for everyone to read the stories.

4. In the fourth week, voting begins and you elect your top 3 stories by title and the username of the author 
Example:
1. The Story by Bob
2. The Other Story by Bill
3. That Story by Betty

5. Votes are tallied up (1's get three points, 2's are worth 2 points, 3's are worth 1 point) and a winner is decided.

6. The winner gets to decided the stimulus for next months contest (oh and if a moderator wanted they could hand out a cool title like '[Month] Short Story Contest Winner').

So, that's that. If you're interested, I'm happy to go ahead and get the ball rolling. In the last forums where we did this we agreed on:
• A max length of 5,000 words per story
• Original stories, characters and settings only (no fan-fiction) 
• Clean language and themes please (there may be youngsters reading this)
• One entry per person per competition

So, speak up if you're interested, I'm posting this now to try and build a bit of steam so we can start fresh at the beginning of March :)

Oh, and moderator help would be greatly appreciated (stickying and locking threads, etc), so if you're a mod who is keen on helping out, let me know :)

"No-one tells a T-Rex when to go to sleep".

- Jim Wendler

I think my brain is too messed up right now with all the painkillers, but I'd love to see this happen. And maybe I could contribute further down the line :)

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Last chance for any takers? I think for the sake of variety, we would need at least five to start out, if we can't get to that number I fear that perhaps the Rebellion is no place for competitive fiction ;) 

"No-one tells a T-Rex when to go to sleep".

- Jim Wendler

Well there's 3-4 of us currently.

Maybe take entries for a bit longer than two weeks originally? Might give people more time to set aside and write.

I can do the first challenge so long as I don't need to post anything between the 19th and the 29th (when I'm on holiday.) Other than that I shall try to join in :-)

• Like 1

Level 1 Adventurer

Quest for Adventure

Took the road less traveled. Now lost.