So I just tech'd Harrison Jones into my tempo mage deck due to all the control warriors and agro shamans, and it's been amazing. I'm riding a 5 game win streak right now, thanks in large part to dropping Harrison Jones on a 6 charge doomhammer in two different games. The second one was my best 4 turn streak I've ever had I think. I just went from 1 star rank 12 to 3 star rank 10.

Game is vs Agro Shaman. My board is empty, he has I think 2 minions. In my hand I have Thaurissan, with a frost bolt and Harrison in hand, so I drop Thaurrisan. Following turn he bolts me to the face and ancestral knowledges, then I draw unstable portal into a faceless manipulator, drop it to copy the Thaurissan, then frostbolt whatever he has on the board. The board is about even at this point, and he doomhammers and goes face with that and a crackle. I have something like 9 life at this point, he's in the 20s. I'm smiling though because he has 1 card, a gorgeous 6 charge hammer, and life in the high teens.

Thankfully, due to 3 Thaurissan procs on Harrison Jones, he's only 2 mana. Drop him, destroy the doomhammer, and start drawing 6 cards. First two are sorcerer's apprentice and flamewalker, all I need is spells. I then continue drawing and the next 4 cards are fireball, frost bolt, arcane missiles, and flamecannon. I have 8 mana. Drop the flamewalker (3) and apprentice (2), clear the board with the Thaurisans and flamecannon (1), frost bolt (1) his face in case of another weapon, then drop the arcane missiles (0). The flamewalker is proccing off all those spells. He's down to I think 4 at this point. Next turn I win the game.

Harrison is going in every deck I ever play. He's such a huge card against weapon classes, and at worse is a 5/4 body for 5.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

2 minutes ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

So I just tech'd Harrison Jones into my tempo mage deck due to all the control warriors and agro shamans, and it's been amazing. I'm riding a 5 game win streak right now, thanks in large part to dropping Harrison jones on a 6 charge doomhammer in two different games. The second one was my best 4 turn streak I've ever had I think. I just went from 1 star rank 12 to 3 star rank 10.

Game is vs Agro Shaman. My board is empty, he has I think 2 minions. In my hand I have Thaurissan, with a frost bolt and Harrison in hand, so I drop Thaurrisan. Following turn he bolts me to the face and ancestral knowledges, then I draw unstable portal into a faceless manipulator, drop it to copy the Thaurissan, then frostbolt whatever he has on the board. The board is about even at this point, and he doomhammers and goes face with that and a crackle. I have something like 9 life at this point, he's in the 20s. I'm smiling though because he has 1 card, a gorgeous 6 charge hammer and life in the high teens.

Thankfully, due to 3 Thaurissan procs on Harrison Jones, he's only 2 mana. Drop him, destroy the doomhammer, and start drawing 6 cards. First two are sorcerer's apprentice and flamewalker, all I need is spells. I then continue drawing and the next 4 cards are fireball, frost bolt, arcane missiles, and flamecannon. I have 8 mana. Drop the flamewalker (3) and apprentice (2), clear the board with the Thaurisans and flamecannon (1), frost bolt (1) his face in case of another weapon, then drop the arcane missiles (0). The flamewalker is proccing off all those spells. He's down to I think 4 at this point. Next turn I win the game.

Harrison is going in every deck I ever play. He's such a huge card against weapon classes, and at worse is a 5/4 body for 5.

Damn, I'm so sorry I missed that.  I would've been cackling like a fool when that went down!  You're going to have to adjust your challenge goals SIR!

Rangering since Sept 2015

I'm Raxie #1908

It's weird, because when you all first started talking about Hearthstone a while back I was embarrassed about how bad I was and I went home and played for like 4 hours straight and got my ranking farther down then ever before.  Nothing too exciting, I get hung up pretty consistently at 18 ranking and lose about 50% of the games. But it was like just talking about it made something click in my brain.  I switched from playing a druid to playing a hunter and have really been going hard with the beast track, but I know that's a pretty standard way to do things and have started experimenting with dust and getting upper level cards now.  I'm going to try listening to some of those podcasts so I can get a better handle on things and which direction I want to go with my deck.  So glad to have other people to talk about it with!  At what point do you guys recommend starting to go after the expansion packs and no longer buying the basic packs any more? I'm at the point where I can earn enough gold to get a new pack every 2-3 days depending on how well I'm doing, how much time I have and if it's a weekday :D

• Like 1

First, Ranked 18 is nothing to sneeze at girl!  I just ramped up my efforts recently and started to play an online deck and made it up higher.  I'm not great at creating decks, so using a netdeck made a big difference for me.  I really do need to learn deck building!

I'm not really sure to be honest about buying classic packs.  I started buying the expansion decks when I stopped getting new cards in the classic packs.  I still don't have all of the classic cards, but now you can get a pack of classic cards for your first win in each Tavern Brawl, so I'm still slowing adding them.  I love Tavern Brawl.  The best tip for playing Tavern Brawl is to get in there early before everyone figures out the mechanics too much.  It's easier to get a win usually.  I have stopped buying any packs in light of the new expansion coming and have been hoarding gold to buy those when they are released.  I threw down my first serious $ on the game and pre-ordered 50 packs of The Old Gods expansion.  That's going to be a fun fun day opening all those packs!!!

I'm not sure if you've heard about the game changes coming this spring, but they are creating a "standard" and a "wild" mode of play.  Standard will include classic cards and any expansion cards released within the last year (i.e., Naxx and GvG cards not playable in this mode).  Wild mode will be anything goes and includes historical cards.  In other words, don't spend coins on GvG cards right now unless you are planning on playing wild or just love the expansion, as you won't be able to use them in standard play.

The podcast Gainsdalf recommended, Happy Hearthstone, is good.  They talk a little fast and I use my app to slow them down, haha.  I have an old brain and it doesn't process quite as quickly anymore. :)

12 minutes ago, Raxie said:

I'm Raxie #1908

It's weird, because when you all first started talking about Hearthstone a while back I was embarrassed about how bad I was and I went home and played for like 4 hours straight and got my ranking farther down then ever before.  Nothing too exciting, I get hung up pretty consistently at 18 ranking and lose about 50% of the games. But it was like just talking about it made something click in my brain.  I switched from playing a druid to playing a hunter and have really been going hard with the beast track, but I know that's a pretty standard way to do things and have started experimenting with dust and getting upper level cards now.  I'm going to try listening to some of those podcasts so I can get a better handle on things and which direction I want to go with my deck.  So glad to have other people to talk about it with!  At what point do you guys recommend starting to go after the expansion packs and no longer buying the basic packs any more? I'm at the point where I can earn enough gold to get a new pack every 2-3 days depending on how well I'm doing, how much time I have and if it's a weekday :D

The sheet that Marauder posted actually has a built in functionality to tell you which packs have the most chance of giving you more new cards. That's what you want to aim for as a beginner. It's the classic packs for a long time as that set is so big, but all the sets have lots of good cards. Just don't buy Goblins vs Gnomes, that's going away in standard.

I've only been playing 3 months or so I think. I was stuck around 18 wins when I first started as well. I've improved steadily as I've a) gotten enough cards to build good decks and b ) listened to the podcasts to improve skill wise, and c) practiced.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Best of Harrison Jones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXCcPzf_Ru4

Mine belongs in this.

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

12 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I'm not sure if you've heard about the game changes coming this spring, but they are creating a "standard" and a "wild" mode of play.  Standard will include classic cards and any expansion cards released within the last year (i.e., Naxx and GvG cards not playable in this mode).  Wild mode will be anything goes and includes historical cards.  In other words, don't spend coins on GvG cards right now unless you are planning on playing wild or just love the expansion, as you won't be able to use them in standard play.

The podcast Gainsdalf recommended, Happy Hearthstone, is good.  They talk a little fast and I use my app to slow them down, haha.  I have an old brain and it doesn't process quite as quickly anymore. :)

This is super helpful! I will definitely be checking out that podcast, too.

12 minutes ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

The sheet that Marauder posted actually has a built in functionality to tell you which packs have the most chance of giving you more new cards. That's what you want to aim for as a beginner. It's the classic packs for a long time as that set is so big, but all the sets have lots of good cards. Just don't buy Goblins vs Gnomes, that's going away in standard.

I've only been playing 3 months or so I think. I was stuck around 18 wins when I first started as well. I've improved steadily as I've a) gotten enough cards to build good decks and b ) listened to the podcasts to improve skill wise, and c) practiced.

I will definitely be checking out that spreadsheet, too.  It looks complicated but I dove into it a bit and it's actually not that bad.  I'll probably just keep buying classic for the foreseeable future in that case :)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Raxie said:

This is super helpful! I will definitely be checking out that podcast, too.

I will definitely be checking out that spreadsheet, too.  It looks complicated but I dove into it a bit and it's actually not that bad.  I'll probably just keep buying classic for the foreseeable future in that case :)

For the spreadsheet, you just update your hero levels, what adventures you've done, and then which cards you have.  It does everything else.  Not too bad.  

• Like 1

So found my battle tag: Schaengel#2973 so fell free to add me (even though I'm no competition...YET!! ;) )

I think I will try to check out that podcast if I find time for it somehow. Still working on finishing all the basic decks (I don't have that much playtime a day) any tips and tricks what I should do first after I finished that? :)

Also I found out that I really dislike Shaman so far...

• Like 2

My NF-Character: https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58102

Introduction Or How I started, Challenges: 1 ; 2 ; 3 ; 4 ; 5 ; 6 ; 7 ; RESPAWN  ; 8 ;

Member of the League of Epicness, Hellfire Club!

...would like to be a Nac Mac Feggle ;)

I have Harrison and NEVER use him.  

Same here, but I was stalking at 12 due in large part to Agro shamans. Figured with seeing them 20-30% of game in the meta at this rank, this was a solid tool to combat them. It'll be helpful against rogue and warriors too, pally to a lesser extent.

So found my battle tag: Schaengel#2973 so fell free to add me (even though I'm no competition...YET!! [emoji6] )

I think I will try to check out that podcast if I find time for it somehow. Still working on finishing all the basic decks (I don't have that much playtime a day) any tips and tricks what I should do first after I finished that? [emoji4]

Use this time playing them all to figure it which you like playing most, then start playing ranked with that. Do your daily quests for gold and the tavern brawl each week for a free pack. Work on building you collection and having fun for the first while.

500 / 330 / 625

9 minutes ago, Schaengel said:

So found my battle tag: Schaengel#2973 so fell free to add me (even though I'm no competition...YET!! ;) )

I think I will try to check out that podcast if I find time for it somehow. Still working on finishing all the basic decks (I don't have that much playtime a day) any tips and tricks what I should do first after I finished that? :)

Just take your time and enjoy it.  I found these videos helpful when I was starting.  They hit the basics pretty well.

I think playing Ranked is a great way to learn.  A few things to know though...  The first week of the month is usually harder in Ranked because at the beginning of the month, all players levels are reduced and they start to climb the ladder again.  If you start playing the 2nd week of the month, you'll be more likely to be fairly matched.  

Tavern Brawl is really fun too and often there's no advantage to having a large card collection because the decks are provided.  Plus, free classic pack for your first win each week.

If you aren't ready to build your own deck, there are lots of very good decks online you can try to make with the cards you have.  There are some very good basic-only decks as well that you can build on as you add more cards.

They actually just improved the deck builder for suggesting new decks. It's better than it used to be, but still think some replacement suggestions are kinda poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

LoL, watching games is fun. Just watch Marauder kill 2 deathlords on turns 3 and 4 and get a Dr. Boom and a Nefarian pulled out, only to have her opponent auchni soul priest then double circle of healing. Was so deflating, wanted the priest to rage quit.

• Like 2

500 / 330 / 625

1 hour ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

LoL, watching games is fun. Just watch Marauder kill 2 deathlords on turns 3 and 4 and get a Dr. Boom and a Nefarian pulled out, only to have her opponent auchni soul priest then double circle of healing. Was so deflating, wanted the priest to rage quit.

ha! that game was crazy!  bet he's rethinking deathlords.  I was so into the game I nearly missed my dentist appointment. haha!

Was wondering why you bounced mid conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

Just now, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

Life goal: Rank 11 9 Hearthstone constructed- Up to 11 and on a win streak, hoping to see 10 today. Really good sign for this early in the month. Played my tempo mage to get there, then switched to dragon priest for awhile for funsies and stalled out. Back to tempo mage today and moving again. I'm really going to miss unstable portal, I've had some great hits on it today. Last few games I've pulled a Rhonin, a bomb lobber, and the 7/8 shaman taunt with overload 3. Got that last one on a turn 2 play and dropped him on 3. It put the opponent (mech mage) way behind and emptied most of his hand trying to kill it. He was never able to catch back up on tempo.

Going well last 24 hours.

• Like 2

500 / 330 / 625

Playing vs Warlock

My Turn 7: I drop Ethereal Conjuror with Harrison Jones in hand, pick Echo of Medivh

My Turn 8: I drop Harrison Jones, because hey, warlocks don't have weapons.

Opponent Turn 8/9 (forget): Drops Lord Jaraxxus, get a 3/8 weapon.

This entire time Marauder is watching, and my screen just starts blowing up. "Echo Harrison Echo Echo Harrison!". I totally hadn't registered the move yet, I was actually starting to pout because I had dropped Harrison the turn before.

Anyway, echo Harrison, get a second one, drop it, draw half my deck. An Apprentice, Fireball, Frost Bolt later I win. I also screwed with him a bit before the end by dropping the Mind Control Tech I'd portalled on turn 3, stealing one of his taunted up Dread Steads, and then a Flamewaker.

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

Hello all!

My battle tag is:     MrQuackers57#1966

I have been playing Hearthstone since it came out, however I am not that good at it.

I am usually between rank 17 – 15 constructed and as far as arena goes, I am lucky to get 3 wins.

It is a very fun game as I play it on breaks and during lunch at work!  (not as much at home, where I am currently on a Diablo 3 kick and waiting for the new season to start…… before that it was Heroes of the storm… with a little bit of Starcraft campaign… … …I will admit it… I LOVE BLIZZARD! Haha!)

I usually just try to do the Dailies and get gold for arena runs / packs.  I don’t really have a “best deck” but I will say my worst is Shaman and Rogue.

I look forward to reading more from this thread to help me get better!!!

p.s. I never knew there was a Hearthstone podcast!!!  I will have to check it out!

• Like 1

My character:  My Character

33 minutes ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

Playing vs Warlock

My Turn 7: I drop Ethereal Conjuror with Harrison Jones in hand, pick Echo of Medivh

My Turn 8: I drop Harrison Jones, because hey, warlocks don't have weapons.

Opponent Turn 8/9 (forget): Drops Lord Jaraxxus, get a 3/8 weapon.

This entire time Marauder is watching, and my screen just starts blowing up. "Echo Harrison Echo Echo Harrison!". I totally hadn't registered the move yet, I was actually starting to pout because I had dropped Harrison the turn before.

Anyway, echo Harrison, get a second one, drop it, draw half my deck. An Apprentice, Fireball, Frost Bolt later I win. I also screwed with him a bit before the end by dropping the Mind Control Tech I'd portalled on turn 3, stealing one of his taunted up Dread Steads, and then a Flamewaker.

So much awesome!  I totally didn't realize you hadn't thought of it.  I thought surely you were chanting the same thing!  I was so stoked to see Harrison in action!

19 minutes ago, Sevasan said:

Hello all!

My battle tag is:     MrQuackers57#1966

I have been playing Hearthstone since it came out, however I am not that good at it.

I am usually between rank 17 – 15 constructed and as far as arena goes, I am lucky to get 3 wins.

It is a very fun game as I play it on breaks and during lunch at work!  (not as much at home, where I am currently on a Diablo 3 kick and waiting for the new season to start…… before that it was Heroes of the storm… with a little bit of Starcraft campaign… … …I will admit it… I LOVE BLIZZARD! Haha!)

I usually just try to do the Dailies and get gold for arena runs / packs.  I don’t really have a “best deck” but I will say my worst is Shaman and Rogue.

I look forward to reading more from this thread to help me get better!!!

p.s. I never knew there was a Hearthstone podcast!!!  I will have to check it out!

Last month I made it to level 12 or 13.  This month I can't seem to win in level 19.  haha.  I haven't tried any other Blizzard games with the exception of WoW, which so far I hate.  I wanted to get one character to level 20 for the free Hearthstone hero unlock, but ugh.

Welcome. :)

Set a new personal best with 9 wins in the arena today. Would have been at least 10 but for one misplay toward the end. Resulted in opponent going to 1 life instead of 0 on the next turn, then he top decked into lots of heals.

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

I have to go through this thread and figure out who I added and who I haven't. Wish there was a way to change the way the name appears in my friends list to more easily tell who is who. I think what I'll do to help us out is update the firsts post with a list of people who have added their battletags.

Anyway, everyone excited for the expansion today? Can't wait to open packs. Between the 50 pack I bought, and the 3 packs worth of free cards, and the free 10 packs we'll get through quests, I'm going to have 63 packs to open. Lots of cards!

What's everyone looking forward to the most/hoping they get in packs? I want Yogg-Saron for a casino/tempo mage deck that does tons of random crazy crap, N'Zoth and Call of the Wild for a Hunter Deathrattle deck, and all the Shaman cards for a ridiculous evolve Shaman deck. I want the first one most long term as if I craft Antonidas I have a lot of deck building tools with it having Rhonin. Short term, I have 110 gold worth of Shaman quests, so I'll probably play a Shaman deck first today. We'll see what I get, I'll come back and post here this afternoon!

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625