Breaking out of isolation

This could probably have been started in the level up your life section but anyways here it is.

Looking for advice, recommendations, stories on how to get involved in new activities/groups, or find friends when you move. I haven't moved lately but am feeling a little lonely and ready to break out of isolation.

• Like 2

Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it - Charles Swindoll

Current Challenge

Typos? - I blame the phone

I moved to a different part of the country a few years ago and only started going out about 6 months ago so I know how you feel. When I started to go back out, I used Meetup to find groups based on interests. They have an app on both Android and iOS too.

I found a couple groups that go out around town with people around my age. Some have bar events, other have game nights & trivia. One has a monthly trampoline dodgeball event. Yes, dodgeball in a room full of trampolines!! Another group does hikes and outdoor events. I tried out Dragon Boat Racing as well. It was fun and something different to do. Funny thing about that group was that I had no idea my brother in law was in it until a few weeks in lol. There's an introvert group I've always wanted to check out. My schedule doesn't work out with their events. You can find a group for just about anything. It all depends on what you're looking for.

You can check out different groups in your area and see what kinds of events they have. I was really nervous the first few times I went out and kept to myself a lot. Most people I've met have been cool. Made a couple friends that I hang out with occasionally from this.

A tip I can give you is that when you're out, while you're thinking about yourself and how you come off, everyone else is doing the same with themselves. Give everybody the benefit of the doubt and assume they're cool. If they prove they're not, you know not to hang out with either them or the group. Maybe you'll find a cool place in town or some cool people to hang with. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

"Live Deliciously"

"Leave everything better than you found it."

"When your why has heart, your how has legs."

NF Character

GoodReads 

Get Off Your "But" by Sean Stephenson

90% Complete

Didnt want to jump into the deep end, so I looked for volunteer opportunities requiring skills i use at work / on a daily basis. Ended up helping in an "introduction to computers and the internet" program for a charity. (...no.. computers ? really? surprise,surprise..)

Allowed a nice comfort zone buffer if needed.  Depending on form you can run in "trainer" / "subject matter expert" mode and focus on sharing know-how, or you can hop out of that zone and take more of a human/personal interest in the students, other volunteers, admin staff etc, which leads into the right direction for our purpose here, I think.

Worked for me. But then again I'm a bit of a lazy wuss and like having the option to begin with a staring match against a Lizard before graduating to nicking gold from Dragons and waving sharp sticks at them and whatnot, thank you very much... ;)

• Like 1

Remember that sensory deprivation causes hallucinations

Meetup is pretty awesome and I also subscribe to a newsletter called Do312 (it's for the Chicago area but maybe there's something similar where you live?) and it tells me about events/concerts, etc. going on near me. I've found quite a few interesting events to go to and then I invite my friends via Facebook.

"Strength without determination means nothing...determination without strength is equally useless!" -Godo, FFVII

NF Academy Profile  :pirate:

I currently live in the same town I grew up in. There aren't a lot of people my age/interests, so we're working on creating a Stammtisch to build our community. 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs