Hello!
Well, I started this off with a bang and had my first post disappear (I think I was somehow logged out, no big deal), so I'll try it again.

I'm new to NerdFitness, and it's been a hot minute (or 15 years) since I've used a forum.  But dusting off some old skills (apparently not so well) and shining up some new ones!

My name is Valerie, I live in a little town in the woods on a mountain.  I am an "interdisciplinary artist", making illustrations/comics, puppets, and music.  I have a "buffer" part time job that I am lucky to have, such that I don't worry about bills too, too much, but it has me rather sedentary most of the days that I work, and I've begun to feel it after a few years.

I'm looking to get fighting fit and run around more.  I am lucky to live in the outdoor jungle gym where I am (rocks, lakes, waterfalls into large pools, mountains, trails... all of it!), that I am not terribly interested in gyms (though I might seek one out for weight training on rainy days).
I'm a  long time (but not angry) vegetarian, so I give long sideward glances at Paleo diet, I am excited about being Paleo-ish though!

My story? Eh, there's a lot to tell, and not much at the same time... I guess most recently what has spiked my interest in getting involved in NF after being interested in it for several months is: my long time sweetheart moved away.  It's sad, but we knew it was coming, and we've got visits scheduled in the future, so it'll be okay, etc, but my daily routines have been upended.  I am trying to reorder and reorganize my life, and NF has been a useful tool in that.  Not to mention it's been proven exercise releases endorphins, and while I've not had much experience with that, I might need it every now and again.

My plan is to work in the Assassin class, I'm all about bodyweight exercises and running around outside.  I've just started Kung Fu and I am trying to get a yoga class or routine in my schedule.  I've dealt with asthma for years and I am pushing back at it, we'll see how it goes.  I am also trying to keep my little batcave clean and productive (building puppets is messy work, messy work that needs to be far away from any digital illustration setup). I'm cutting way back on sugar in my diet (though I eat mostly whole foods and don't ingest tons of it,), I'm making sure I don't add it to anything, and am reading the ingredients list of what I eat that I didn't make myself to get the low down.  

On and on and on...

As for what I can offer?  I don't know, what do you need?  I'm a good supporter, and am up for giving pep talks if anyone needs one.  And if there is anything else I can offer, let me know!

That's about it... I'll end with this blurry photo of almost-not-me, rather it's of my Doctor Who Puppet ("#puppetcapaldi", it was named) that my friend took of me last year at Dragon Con... It's ridiculous, but it sums me up rather well.

pupblur.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 1

If anyone is going to appreciate fine puppetry, let alone fitness enthusiasts, it's gonna be the folks around here! Very cool.

So, welcome welcome! I'm sorry to hear about your geographical separation, but a throw into physical activity sounds like a great distraction! So what kind of Kung Fu are getting in to? I've been practicing Ving Tsun a long time, also a woods/mountain dweller :D 

Looking forward to seeing you around the boards!

Thank you!

I am getting into Emperor's Long Fist, but it's on a very noncommittal basis, the class happens every Tues and Thurs, but I can only make Thurs until my schedule can shift a bit, so I am learning, and working, but not working toward sashes, etc.  I started taking it as a self-prescribed technique for handling PTSD (long story that happened years ago, and I'm mostly over with the exception of some PTSD buttons that get pushed now and again), which I have a few flare ups of maybe every 6 months or so, it depends.  I'm not planning on fighting anyone, but just having technique in the back of my mind is calming if I get in a panicked situation.

As for geographic separation, it's sad and horrible, but we just had out first Google hangout (he's rubbish with technology), and I'm visiting next week, so I try (and am succeeding) to be excited about things like that.

• Like 1