Meh.

In my head, I can think of 6 counselors / therapists whom I have had some form of contact in the last 15 years.  While they were all good people, not one of them had any impact on me one way or another.  I stand by my previous statements.  Talk is overrated, and humans are growing deaf to it.  I think this may be because of the corporate / professional world of today - for two reasons.  First, everything is about having a meeting to talk about what was talked about at the last meeting and scheduling a meeting to talk about an issue that will be tabled and talked about again later at another meeting.  I can't remember the last time someone in an organization just exercised leadership and made a decision.  Appeasers and glad-handers are the commonplace, which renders talk very cheap indeed.  Second, few people say what they mean or what the truth is.  Glad handing again.  If you are really and truly a screw up, do you really think a therapist will tell you that?  This generation always got a ribbon, even if only for participation.  As a result, no one knows what it's like to lose or to hit bottom, and thus, the motivation to fix ones-self isn't very deep because of the soft justification we expect from others.

I'll concede that the situation may be that it may just not be for me.  That is true.  I strongly believe however, that most power over emotional or psychological issues rests either in the individual or in some chemical romance like an SSRI or MAOI, or some other cocktail. 

All this is just my opinion.  Not fact.  Just my opinion in an open discussion.  You have to do whatever works for you.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Mitchilich said:

I strongly believe however, that most power over emotional or psychological issues rests either in the individual or in some chemical romance like an SSRI or MAOI, or some other cocktail. 

I definitely agree with you there. For me, that's what the therapist helps me do, I wasn't able to view my emotions objectively without a 3rd party for a long time. But I also take Wellbutrin :) and the recent increase in dosage has been great!

I've never taken any medication.  Not that I don't acknowledge the value of medication.  I just don't think that medication is the right long term answer to everything.

I also firmly believe that a therapist can't fix your psych problems for you.  Only you can do that.  The only think a therapist can do is help you realize how to fix them.

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.

I do not do medication for neurological concerns because I understand the science behind it. 

I have met with a therapist recently and will be returning in two weeks. She suggested that I might be agitated because of my f'ed up sleeping habits (I think I have sleep apnea). 

I downloaded the sl5x5 app.

I have tried writing in a journal. I find myself running low on words and simply repeating topics day after day... if I remember to write.

And I disagree about the generation thing, depending on which gen you are talking about. Millennials are even more blunt than Baby Boomers. In fact, Millennials are unusually blunt. And most of us work hard. It's not our fault that we us digital media, where the evidence of our work isn't readily seen, and people are too lazy to look for it.

• Like 1