Improving Igaduma

Went running today.  Took a lesson from the wrong week.  But I managed it!  My watch said the training was "reasonable".  Stupid watch!  I was a lot harder than just "reasonable".  Reasonable does not make me question my sanity.  This running session did.  During the last block of running I kind of zoned out.  I was so focused  on my breathing (four steps in, four steps out), I forgot to feel miserable :)

I was so tired when I was done, I didn't even feel great about having accomplished the session.  That only came on the walk back home, when I got my s**t back together.

Friday I ran for 5 minutes straight for the first time.  This morning I did it three times!

(2 minutes running, 2 minutes walking, 3 minutes running, 3 minutes walking and then 3 times 5 minutes running, 3 minutes walking).  Including the warm up walk, I did 6.3 km.

Meditating this morning was ok.

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.

Last night was my last TM session.

It was bad.  The instructors got on my nerves.  At one point they gave health advise that was down right dangerous.  It's over and done with now though.

However, I was home late.  Thus in bed late.  Thus out of bed to late to go running this morning.

Koert

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

New record for me! 7 minutes of running in a row.

I should have done this yesterday but I failed.  So I tried again this morning and managed to do it.

If I succeed at tomorrows session, I will be half way through the program.

Next week I just have to repeat this weeks program.

I'm already looking forward to only having to run 2-3-5-5-5 minutes on monday :P

I'm very much near the limit of what I can do at the moment and I don't like it.  I remember straining to run 2 minutes and completely failing at 3 minutes not all that long ago though.  I don't see myself running 10 and 12 minutes two weeks from now but I also didn't see myself running 7 minutes two weeks ago.

Last night I forgot to meditate.  I was bummed out about failing to run as long as I should have.  Came home, ate and crawled into bed.

This mornings session was ok.

I'm officially half way through the training program!

A couple of weeks from now I'll be running half an hour in one go

Sooo... This week isn't going very well.

Didn't manage to run what I was supposed to run yesterday (I was done for after a quarter of what I was supposed to do).

Tried again this morning...  A little better but still failed to complete the session.

The funny thing is (well, "funny"...), this week is a repeat of last week.  So this first session of the week is actually shorter than what I ended last week with.

So, monday I tried to run session 16.  Failed miserably.

Didn't try again yesterday because I was to lazy to drag myself out of bed.

This morning I wasn't sure what to do.  Run 16 again (and mess up the schedule) or try 17.  I decided to go for 17 and I did it.

More than half way to running 30 minutes/5 km.  The longest part of the program is officially behind me.

When I arrived at the train station this morning, I realized I forgot my ticket.  So I ran back home to get it and then back to the station.

I only just made it in time but I did make it.  Honestly, I didn't expect that.  And to make it double nice is that there were three things going through my mind:

- running with a backpack is annoying

- if I don't make it back in time, I'm going to have to wait an hour for the next train

- I hope my shirt won't be all sweaty

Meaning that what wasn't on my mind was this:

- I already ran half an hour ago

- I'm tired

- my shins/knees/whatever hurt

2 of the 3 things had nothing to do with me running really, and the third one was only indirectly connected to it.  I just ran and was fine with it.

I also ran quite a bit faster (I think) than I normally do when running.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2016 at 10:01 PM, Igaduma said:

It's going to take ages for my running shoes to dry.  I wonder if I can put them in the dryer.  Probably not.  I guess that might ruin the shape of the shoe.

Boot dryers work wonderfully for all sorts of shoes.  If you don't have one already, I would get one.  They aren't very expensive.  Other than that, though, stuff your shoes with newspaper and set them in front of a heater.  The ink in the newspaper deodorizes your shoes.

I ended up filling them with newspapers

that worked really well.

• Like 1

Proud of myself today.

It's ridiculously hot and humid here atm. I slept horribly.  I broke a sweat just putting on my shoes.  Literally!  I really didn't want to go running.

But I did go.

It felt awfull.  I wanted to just go home.

But I didn't.  At least not before I finished my session.

One more box ticked: session 18 ==> DONE!

this time next week, I'll have passed the 2/3 mark of the program.  The end is near!

As if I wasn't proud enough of myself this morning... I just walked 42km at an average speed of 6km/h.

To tired to go into detail about it though.  Maybe tomorrow.

• Like 1

A new personal record: I ran 8 minutes

This mornings sessions went really well.  While I was running, I thought I wasn't doing to great.  But as it turns out, I made a mistake.  While I was running my last block (8 minutes), I thought I was still at the previous block (7 minutes) and was thinking to myself "I'm never going to make the last block, I might be able to squeeze out a couple of minutes but not 8).  And then to my surprise (making me very happy) my watch said I was all done for today.

In a way I'm going to miss this period of learning to run.  Each week has at least one personal record :)

Wednesday is going to be hard.  They add 6 minutes of running and take away 2 minutes of walking.

Friday will be even harder.  I'll have to jump from running max 8 minutes, to running 10+10+12 minutes.

And then monday is 15+15 minutes.

I don't quite see that happening.

I somehow forgot to go run Wednesday.

This morning it was raining.  Well, actually it was more like a drizzle but telling it as if it was this epic thunderstorm, makes it sound more... epic.

Like I said, Wednesday was supposed to be a hard session and the session planned for today even harder.  Too hard.  So I decided I would repeat this week next week and do it properly.  I just ran the session that was planned for today, not caring about having skipped one, just to see how far I would get.

And much to my surprise, I actually made it.  So no repeating this week next week.  I can just follow the program.  Yay!

I forgot to state this clearly in my previous post:

I broke my personal best of running 8 minutes in one go.  I ran 12 minutes in one go.  That's 50% more!  The biggest jump I've ever taken.

This was session 21 out of 30, so over 2/3 done!

Meditating didn't go well today.  I was tense and couldn't relax.  Probably to excited about my run :)

• Like 1

15 minutes running

2 minutes walking

15 minutes running

15 minutes is loooooooong!

Can't say I liked doing it but I did it.

First 20 minute run coming up on friday.  We'll see how that goes.

Meditating this morning went really well too.  All in all, so far it's been a nice way to start the week.

Today was the easy session of the week.

And yet I somehow failed it.

Ran 10 minutes, 1 minute rest, 12 minutes running... and then I just couldn't bring myself to starting that last block of 12 minutes.

I wasn't tired or anything.  I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I'm a bit bummed out about that :(

10 minutes running

1 minute walking

20 minutes running

and I think if I really needed to, I might have been able to squeeze out another 10 minutes.

I have to confess I was running slower than usual though.  Warm up walk + actual running session + walk back home (in total 51 minutes) gave me an average of 7.8km/h.  So not fast enough to reach 5km in 30 minutes running.  I don't mind (yet) though.  I'll get there eventually.

The first goal is to run for 30 minutes.  Then we'll see about the 5km.

20 minutes is a new personal record.  

Next week is supposed to be a repeat of this week.  And the week after I'll run 30 minutes for the first time.

I'm so tempted to try it on monday though.  It's sooooo close :P

So I'm reading/learning about memory palaces.

I've known about the concept for some time.  Decided now is the time to put it into practice.

Meditating this morning didn't work at all.

Sat down, waited for my mantra to come... but my memory palace came

pushed it aside, waited for the mantra... the memory palace came

pushed it aside, waited for the mantra... the memory palace came

forced my mantra upon myself.  mantra, mantra, mantra, shoppinglist I memorized last night, mantra, mantra, shopping list again, mantra, shopping list backwards, mantra, mantra, mantra, a string of unrelated words I saw in a ted talk about memory like two years ago (impressive that I still know it though), mantra, mantra, mantra, shoppinglist

and then I just gave up.

When I go shopping though... if I forget something, I'm going to be sooooo upset with myself :)

• Like 1

forgot to mention: sunday I went for a 30km walk.  got really sunburnt.  So I slept rather badly.

monday morning I went running.  In stead of doing a repeat of last week, I tried 30 minutes... and failed.

Tomorrow I have to go run again.  I'm in doubt as to what to do:

1) do what the schedule tells me to do (10-12-12)

2) try 30 minutes again

first world problem I suppose :)

shameless copy of my post in the woot room:

Take a look at the progress bar in my signature and notice that it's full!

I ran 30 minutes for the first time today.  I didn't run 5km like I was supposed to.  30 minutes running + 5 minutes walking added up to 5.05km at an average speed of 8.6km/h.  That's close enough for me.  I'll get there in the future.

The run was by no means fun.  But it went reasonably ok.  I wanted to quit for the first time at around 15 minutes.  Pushed through.  It went ok for a while.  Then I wanted to give up again but I noticed I only had a minute and a half of running left.  So I told myself "ok, you can go home now, as long as you do it running".  If I had run any slower, I would have been going backwards but I did keep running!

And here we are.  I finished the program I was following and I ran 30 minutes.  Guess it's time to start looking for a running shop to buy me the shoes I promised myself as a reward if I keep this up for a couple of weeks.