Wargamers?

Just curious if any of you nerds out there are wargamers whether its Warhammer, Flames of War, Star Wars, Wing of Glory/War, Bolt Action, War Machine/Hordes, Ancients, ASL, etc. 

I myself play Flames of War and dabble in Bolt Action, I've played both Warhammers, but not in years. Figure it might be cool to have a small community to discuss modelling, gameplay, painting tips, and you never know...might ask to go hang out. 

I always saw the big maps and such in the comic store walking by and thought it was interesting, but assumed it's one of those huge investments for entry type deals, so never looked into it. Wargames are probably on of the few areas of nerdome I'm not knowledgeable about in any way. How are they played? What's with all the painting?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I played 40k Tau until the current edition came out, then called it the last straw and now pretty much boycott GW.  Did similar with the Star Trek ship game when Fantasy Flight decided to quit releasing old models.  I currently have X-wing, Necromunda, a Bolt Action army in the works, a Hordes Trollkin army waiting for the new rules, and a large collection of random minis for tabletop RPGs.

Each game is different in terms of scale and cost, so it's really a matter of looking around and finding a game you like.  Things like Warhammer (both 40k and Fantasy) are large scale army games, plus Games-Workshop likes to change their rules periodically, so if you aren't buying the newest models as they come out, you can't stay competitive.  X-wing is intended to be played at a squad scale (3-8 ships) so you can get started for under $100 and don't have to spend more unless you want to.  And all the ships come prepainted and ready to play.  Games like War Machine/Hordes (compatible games by the same company, sometimes just called Warmahordes) and Bolt Action fall in between, with Bolt Action being the cheaper of the two (I got a large British force that will let me play two different forces for ~$200).

Each game also has different rules, but in general, opponents take turns moving and attacking, with dice rolls determining results.

For most of the tabletop war games, building and painting your miniatures is part of the hobby, and there are contests at most official get-togethers/tournaments for best custom model.  Personally, I like to customize my armies (each one has a different theme/color scheme/strategy/etc), but won't put in the time to be a competitive builder.  My mini's look good on the table, and that's all I care about.

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

I've never played either. But been curious about it since I first ventured into games workshop about 13 years old. Was always put of by the cost of starting out and some of the types of people who frequented my local games workshop. Not sure many of the, knew what soap or deodorant was :-/ 

1 hour ago, MegaCarp said:

I think I saw Necromunda played, was never familiar with how it worked, though. 

Necromunda was in my opinion the best thing to come out of GW. It's the spiritual successor of Rogue Trader (a.k.a. 1st edition 40k), as it is a skirmish game, with far fewer models in play. It also encourages modeling/conversion, rather than just draining you of money. It is no longer supported, but you can download the living rulebook online.

Mordheim, in many ways was the equivalent, only in the WH setting.

Oh, and I completely forgot about Blood Bowl....

Dwarf Warrior

Level 2| Str 4| Dex 1| Con 3| Sta 3| Wis 1| Cha 1|

Spoiler

Deadlift 2x BW

80%
80%

Squat 1x BW

74%
88%

Floor press 1x BW

86%
86%

Press .75x BW

79%
79%

"A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry"

Daily battle log

Current challenge

Over the years I've collected WFB Orcs (now called Orruks) but I'm still into it. I haven't played a game though in some time, I've always liked the painting though.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Yea, I think this is why I like historicals. I mean you can build things out as much as you want, but at the end of the day, a Sherman is a Sherman, and they carry through the eras...Plus they are GWesque. Bolt Action is the same way, just squad level

Copying over from my challenge thread, since I like showing off.  Some of the minis I made for my new Necromunda gang:

27336615233_43527a1803.jpg27337531924_0d2ce5e764.jpg27915779826_587d5d6123.jpg

Keen, the long gunner, waiting for his shot;     Vorpal, with plasma cannon and cutty blade;  and Frost, the first guy I built and painted as a test run.

For reference, this is what Kroot are supposed to look like, but I gave them Fire Warrior armor, or Stealth Suit armor for the leader and heavies.

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Currently painting a Khorne Bloodbound army for Warhammer Age of Sigmar. I have at various points played 40k (I have an Ork army and a Deathwing army sitting around half-painted) Warmachine, Infinity, Necromunda, Blood Bowl and Space Hulk too. I've been a miniatures geek since I was 7 or 8, albeit with quite a big break at the end of school & while I was at university. Nice to meet a few other wargamers here!

Level 2 Warlock

Battle Log | First Challenge | Current Challenge