So, I'm not 'entirely' sure whether I qualify as a 'nerd', but the more forums I can goof off in during my lunch break the better. 

I started focusing my health, as I guess many people do, in the New Year. At which point I was weighing in at 19.5 stone (273 lbs) at 6' 2", and I think I was at my heaviest the summer before at around 20.5 stone (287 lbs) but at which point I wasn't really focused. 

I started off purely focusing on my diet, but after a couple of months and due to the fact that I spend a lot of time away from work with lavish restaurant meals and booze paid for on expenses that I'd need to be doing something more. 

So at the start of March I signed up for DDP Yoga, which I cannot recommend enough. It was a gentle way back into exercise, I used to be very active but that slowed down after a bad leg break around 10 years ago which left me with chronic pain in all of the joints in my left leg. I found that a low impact workout would suit me, along with the stretching to alleviate the pain and the weight loss to take some pressure off my joints. 

Around the same time, I also started running, slowly and not very far to begin with but it was something I stuck with. After a few weeks I could easily run 5k without stopping, and not long after that 10k. Then I started getting quicker and last weekend I managed a 10 mile run without once walking. I'm in training for a half marathon in my home town this September. Honestly, I used to run around a lot for team sports but the idea of running for the sake of it seemed bizarre, dull, masochistic whatever. I found that as I got better at it I could tolerate it, but to actively enjoy it? Let alone be borderline addicted to it seems such a strange place to be just 3 months down the line. I exercise an average of about 9 hours per week now. 

Diet wise I guess it was mostly being sensible, but not that strict. I found booze surprisingly easy to cut down, if not out, and honestly I don't miss it all that much. I still snack on crisps, sweets and chocolate on occasion, but very much in moderation. 

So, I'm now about 220lbs. I've got from a 40" waist to a 36" which I doubt I've been in yeaaars and down from XL or even XXL t-shirts down to an L. My target weight is around the 185lb mark, so I've still some way to go but feeling more motivated than ever. Not only to lose it, but to keep it off. Despite the usual benefits in terms of fitness and mood, the biggest difference I've found is in my confidence, even as someone who would be considered an outgoing sort of person, I feel a couple of inches taller as I'm not trying to shrink or hideaway. 

So, anyway, Hi!

Hey Zappa. How are you? Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear about your leg. But a tremendous job on still running despite the pains. (I have experience on those things)

If any questions or what so ever, you can always ask me. Though I am better at kicking your behind and make you do stuff :P

Recovering from an epic clash with gravity, which I lost.

Nobody gets out of life, alive || Senpai noticed me! || Company of unemployed superheroes

Trying to get back on the forums and back in exercising in life any help motivation is welcome

13 minutes ago, Shakeel_R said:

Hey Zappa. How are you? Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear about your leg. But a tremendous job on still running despite the pains. (I have experience on those things)

If any questions or what so ever, you can always ask me. Though I am better at kicking your behind and make you do stuff :P

I'm good thanks! And you? 

Yeah, the leg can sometimes be a bit of a hindrance on the longer runs but it's still overall better than it was, and there's a lot of people who have it far, far worse so I can't complain or indeed use it as an excuse not to do stuff (nor my asthma that the pollen has been making worse the last couple of weeks!). 

Thanks, if I'm ever in need of an arse kicking then I'll be in touch, though if there's one thing I'm not lacking at the moment it's motivation!