I just got my first pair of Chucks!...

And I can't wait to deadlift in them on Tuesday! I've only been deadlifting about a month, and just hit 115# last week. I know that's a light DL but it's a lot to me :) The great thing about being a newbie is that EVERY increase is a new PR. (And given how overweight I am, shouldn't that be 215?)

• Like 4

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

6 hours ago, Sohbek said:

Did you lift with them yet? Did it help?

I lifted with them this morning, and they felt great! I actually didn't notice them per se I just felt solidly grounded in my squats and deadlifts. My squats actually felt easier than last time, even though I upped the weight by 5 pounds (I'm up to using the real Olympic bar! In the squat rack! Woo!) I figure that's because the squishy cross-trainers I was lifting in before were making me unstable and I had to waste energy compensating.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2016 at 5:33 PM, Bookish Badger said:

I lifted with them this morning, and they felt great! I actually didn't notice them per se I just felt solidly grounded in my squats and deadlifts. My squats actually felt easier than last time, even though I upped the weight by 5 pounds (I'm up to using the real Olympic bar! In the squat rack! Woo!) I figure that's because the squishy cross-trainers I was lifting in before were making me unstable and I had to waste energy compensating.

That is great. I have like 3 pairs of Chucks. I'll perhaps try it once my heel pain eases up.

• Like 1

I use a pair of Nike Free 5.0 cross trainers which I like for most activities, but while the heel is solid, the rubber of the sole is not super firm.  I have a pair of chucks, but they're suede and I don't want to beat them up.  (Fancy chucks?  Is that a paradox?)  I bought a pair of New Balance Minimus, but I'm not thrilled with them as the tongue continually slides to the side of my foot.  Maybe I'll test drive the chucks for comparison. 

Intro

Challenges: #1#2#3#4, #5

I LOVE Chucks! (I have 13 pairs) I was so happy when I found out that they were actually better for lifting than my cross-trainers. And they did make a difference in my lifts. Felt way more solid, particularly on the deadlifts.

5 minutes ago, Grymm said:

(Fancy chucks?  Is that a paradox?)

Personally, I lift in cherry print chucks. I probably wouldn't lift in my B&W sequined ones, but otherwise, eh, they clean up easy enough.

We will never see the best version of ourselves inside our comfort zone

7 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Personally, I lift in cherry print chucks. 

I was intrigued when Special Sundae said she lifted in Wonder Woman chucks. But I checked the Converse website & they are no longer available :( I have a plain white pair as I was getting them for a purely functional purpose and wanted to make sure I liked them before paying extra for bling (would have made an exception for WW, tho).

As I like them, I'll probably start a minor collection of my own. I kinda like the idea of a short, fat, middle aged woman in loud footwear deadlifting along side the big boys. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bookish Badger said:

I was intrigued when Special Sundae said she lifted in Wonder Woman chucks. But I checked the Converse website & they are no longer available :( I have a plain white pair as I was getting them for a purely functional purpose and wanted to make sure I liked them before paying extra for bling (would have made an exception for WW, tho).

As I like them, I'll probably start a minor collection of my own. I kinda like the idea of a short, fat, middle aged woman in loud footwear deadlifting along side the big boys. 

You could always pair them with wonder woman socks :)

• Like 1

We will never see the best version of ourselves inside our comfort zone