Tips to beat exhaustion?

Hey!! 

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips to beat being exhausted all the time? My docs solution is to workout, but how can you workout if you're already exhausted? 

I've started taking some vitamins because I know I'm low in things like iron which is probably part of my problem. 

Any help appreciated! 

Vampiric Maenad Adventurer of the First Level

|| STR 1 || DEX || STA 5 || CON 5 || WIS 5 || CHA 2 ||

I can't drown my demons, they know how to swim.

"What is normal for the spider, is chaos for the fly" -Morticia Adams

Bodyweight: |Start: 99kg.| |Current: ??.| |Goal: 55kg.|

0%
0%

Study: |Behind: 2 years.| |Current: ?? months to go.| |Goal: ?? .|

0%
0%

Depression.Anxiety: |Drowning:Current.| |Swimming: ?? months to go.| |Floating: ?? .|

100%
100%

Well first question is how much sleep are you getting a night? Maybe the answer is just more  sleep. Second is how well do you sleep? Are you waking up feeling rested or tired? If you are getting 8-9 hours of sleep, and still waking up tired, maybe the problem is your sleep is being disturbed.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Hi thanks for responding! I get anywhere between 6-14 hours of sleep depending on the day. I'm waking up exhausted. That's part of the reason some days I sleep 14 hours because I wake up and I'm still exhausted so I just go back to sleep. 

0%
0%

0%
0%

Depression.Anxiety: |Drowning:Current.| |Swimming: ?? months to go.| |Floating: ?? .|

100%
100%

Getting into a solid sleep routine might help. Go to bed and get up at the same time every night in a room with no light or noise pollution (use a sleep mask and earplugs if needed).

Getting stronger and fitter will help too. Life is less exhausting when you're only using a fraction of your physical capacity to carry out basic tasks. If picking up the shopping is the maximum you can lift then it'll be much more exhausting than if you can lift ten times than that.

• Like 3

If you are iron deficient, make sure you stay on top of your supplements as directed by your doctor.  Iron deficiency leads to anemia which causes fatigue and weakness.  Your body has a hard time getting oxygen to where it needs to go to make energy.  This  might be a slight to major cause of your issue.  Being exhausted after 10 hours of sleep often sounds like some chronic fatigue.

Also, maybe you have sleep issues like apnea.  You can have apnea without snoring.  

If you are exhausted but can push through to get some light exercise like walking in (if you are otherwise sedentary), this can help energy levels.  I assume you aren't on a severely restricted diet.

There are other causes of chronic fatigue, but iron deficiency and sleep issues are pretty common causes.

• Like 3

Intro

Challenges: #1#2#3#4, #5

On 6/11/2016 at 6:34 AM, MadameLucretia said:

I get anywhere between 6-14 hours of sleep depending on the day

CRINGE!!!

that's an 8 hour difference!  That difference is way to big for your body to comfortably handle.

Like SpecialSundae said: create a solid sleep routine.  Around 8 hours a night.  I know many people say 6 hours is enough for them...  many people don't know what they're talking about.  I'm not denying there are people who only need 6 hours but there aren't very many of them.

To much isn't a good idea either (unless there is something wrong with you, requiring you to sleep more).

But go to bed around the same time each day for as much as possible.  And get up around the same time.  Also, do everything before you go to bed the same way, in the same order each day.  Create a ritual, so your body knows "ah, we're going to sleep now".

• Like 4

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.

I had the same issues my whole life. Waking up tired, it was hard to play with my kids, I was always pretending to be have energy when I really didn't. 

Its taken me years to figure it out, and just in the last year and a half I'm started to get real energy. 

What's worked for me:

1. Food. Over eating during the day guarantees a afternoon nap for me. I figured this out the first time I intermittent fast. I was amazed how much energy I had during the day and energy for my work outs. I do eat during the "fast" but it ranges from one boiled egg or cucumbers when I'm hungry.

1.5 grains and sugar. I only eat them at dinner time if I do eat them. These will also have me go lethargic 

2. Slowing down on my exercises. I've always been competitive, even when I'm not competing with anyone. I walk, hike, or bike. Only weight train once or twice a week.

3. Sleep. Yup like everyone is saying. It's easier said than done though. But I've taken advice from Shawn Stevenson (  http://theshawnstevensonmodel.com/sleep-problems-tips/ ) and also Arianna Huffington (http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-24490/arianna-huffingtons-12-secrets-to-your-best-sleep-ever.html)

Well i hope this helps! Good luck!

• Like 1

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for responding, sorry I haven't replied sooner, I've been having internet issues and replying on my phone is awkward. >.>"

On 11/06/2016 at 8:35 PM, SpecialSundae said:

Getting into a solid sleep routine might help. Go to bed and get up at the same time every night in a room with no light or noise pollution (use a sleep mask and earplugs if needed).

Getting stronger and fitter will help too. Life is less exhausting when you're only using a fraction of your physical capacity to carry out basic tasks. If picking up the shopping is the maximum you can lift then it'll be much more exhausting than if you can lift ten times than that.

Thank you! I have been trying to set a 'bedtime' as it were but.. you know, I was going to put an excuse here about working nights and struggling but I'm not feeling that right now. I'm tired and I shall be fixing my bedtime. I've got to the stage where my room has to be dark or it keeps me awake. I may need start wearing my headphones to bed, to block the sound. 

That sounds amazing to me, I've found I am strong but I lack...... .... .. I suppose stamina is the word I am after? Although, logic dictates that it would increase if I could lift more. Must implement exercises. Thank you again for your help. :)

On 11/06/2016 at 11:42 PM, Grymm said:

If you are iron deficient, make sure you stay on top of your supplements as directed by your doctor.  Iron deficiency leads to anemia which causes fatigue and weakness.  Your body has a hard time getting oxygen to where it needs to go to make energy.  This  might be a slight to major cause of your issue.  Being exhausted after 10 hours of sleep often sounds like some chronic fatigue.

Also, maybe you have sleep issues like apnea.  You can have apnea without snoring.  

If you are exhausted but can push through to get some light exercise like walking in (if you are otherwise sedentary), this can help energy levels.  I assume you aren't on a severely restricted diet.

There are other causes of chronic fatigue, but iron deficiency and sleep issues are pretty common causes.

Thank you for responding, I do try my best to take my vitamins, but I tend to be rather forgetful. I think I may have chronic fatigue, but I've not been tested. 

I would never have considered sleep apnea, Thank you.

I get between 10,000 steps a day roughly. (some days 16,000+ others 2,000) and I get some bike rides in a couple of days a week. (I bike to work, but its winter here now so I've been getting some lifts because the weather is horrible.) I *massive shifty eyes* don't eat that much, my diet is based around if im hungry/appropriate food is avalible/time/energy. I know, I know its bad and is most likely a lot of my problems and I'm trying to eat more. But I suffer nausea and random bouts where 99% of foods become utterly nauseating, just the concept of eating, I have to try to find something which doesn't cause my stomach to curl. I've actually had alot of success in the past week with eating breakfast! I've has cereal! Multiple days in a row. 

Thank you again!

On 13/06/2016 at 7:48 PM, Igaduma said:

CRINGE!!!

that's an 8 hour difference!  That difference is way to big for your body to comfortably handle.

Like SpecialSundae said: create a solid sleep routine.  Around 8 hours a night.  I know many people say 6 hours is enough for them...  many people don't know what they're talking about.  I'm not denying there are people who only need 6 hours but there aren't very many of them.

To much isn't a good idea either (unless there is something wrong with you, requiring you to sleep more).

But go to bed around the same time each day for as much as possible.  And get up around the same time.  Also, do everything before you go to bed the same way, in the same order each day.  Create a ritual, so your body knows "ah, we're going to sleep now".

Thanks for replying! 
Yeah, Its horrible and I know it. Some work days I may only get 6 hours, because I dont finish work till 12am and by the time i get home and wind down its like 2:30-3am, and then Im supposed to be up and back at work at 12pm, where I work till 11pm/12pm on a bad week, and getting up is a struggle, but then on my day off Im in bed by 1:30ish and I dont get up till 3pm. >.>""
I'm wanting to maybe do something like 1-8 or 12-30 till 8 or 9. Something around those hours so I can get up and go to the gym in the morning before work. 
I'll have to look into doing a ritual, because at the moment, well, its fall into bed and try to sleep.
Thank you!

On 14/06/2016 at 11:14 AM, Butternut said:

I had the same issues my whole life. Waking up tired, it was hard to play with my kids, I was always pretending to be have energy when I really didn't. 

Its taken me years to figure it out, and just in the last year and a half I'm started to get real energy. 

What's worked for me:

1. Food. Over eating during the day guarantees a afternoon nap for me. I figured this out the first time I intermittent fast. I was amazed how much energy I had during the day and energy for my work outs. I do eat during the "fast" but it ranges from one boiled egg or cucumbers when I'm hungry.

1.5 grains and sugar. I only eat them at dinner time if I do eat them. These will also have me go lethargic 

2. Slowing down on my exercises. I've always been competitive, even when I'm not competing with anyone. I walk, hike, or bike. Only weight train once or twice a week.

3. Sleep. Yup like everyone is saying. It's easier said than done though. But I've taken advice from Shawn Stevenson (  http://theshawnstevensonmodel.com/sleep-problems-tips/ ) and also Arianna Huffington (http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-24490/arianna-huffingtons-12-secrets-to-your-best-sleep-ever.html)

Well i hope this helps! Good luck!

Thank you for replying! 

I'm glad to hear its not just me! I'm super happy to hear that your starting to get energy! Woohoo!
I will totally put these into action, I mainly live on coffee and chocolate, with a side of bread products. Its horrible, but I haven't had the energy to cook in forever, I have no idea on meal prep and I work at a supermarket, which has a massive limit on what you can find to eat on a tea/lunch break because my store isn't near any other stores so chips and biscuits it is. 

Thank you! I'm reading those sleep articles as I type. :)

0%
0%

0%
0%

100%
100%
On 6/22/2016 at 7:34 AM, MadameLucretia said:

I *massive shifty eyes* don't eat that much, my diet is based around if im hungry/appropriate food is avalible/time/energy. I know, I know its bad and is most likely a lot of my problems and I'm trying to eat more. But I suffer nausea and random bouts where 99% of foods become utterly nauseating, just the concept of eating, I have to try to find something which doesn't cause my stomach to curl. I've actually had alot of success in the past week with eating breakfast! I've has cereal! Multiple days in a row. 

You sound just like a friend of mine who has ARFID. It's an eating disorder (Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder) that makes it very difficult for her to ever want to actually eat when food is presented to her. She wants to eat in theory, is fairly healthy, and isn't trying to control her food intake like with anorexia or bulimia -- she's just really, really turned off by most foods most of the time. 

• Like 1

I used to have that same sleep "pattern". I'd sleep forever and wake up like a truck spent the night driving me over. Turns out I have sleep apnea and have to use a CPAP device. Maybe get yourself checked? Also, sleeping less. I'm way more tired when I sleep more than 6 hours, for some weird reason. Shouldn't it work the other way around? Well, it doesn't seem to work that way for me. And yes, I'm aware of sleep cycles.

As for exercise, I really miss barbell training for that. I have a tough job in a stressful kitchen and barbell training really helped me recover. I figure the focused physical stress stimulates your recovery system, or something like that. Now that I can't train, I'm definitely a lot more exhausted. In the past, when I'd pick up training after a break, I'd be a lot more exhausted for like 2 weeks, and then my energy would surge and stabilize.

I actually just signed up on the boards to post about this very topic, but your thread caught my eye, so this is my first post here instead :P

• Like 1

You sound just like a friend of mine who has ARFID. It's an eating disorder (Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder) that makes it very difficult for her to ever want to actually eat when food is presented to her. She wants to eat in theory, is fairly healthy, and isn't trying to control her food intake like with anorexia or bulimia -- she's just really, really turned off by most foods most of the time. 

Wow, that's a thing? I thought my daughter and i were just REALLY picky eaters. (I am impossible with takeout or going out to eat, or eating at others' homes :/) Weird, this never came up with doctors. Means i need to research it! Thanks for mentioning!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

On 6/22/2016 at 9:34 AM, MadameLucretia said:

my diet is based around if im hungry/appropriate food is avalible/time/energy.

My husband often eats only once a day, and he's tired all the time.  If I ask  him if he's hungry, he'll often shrug his shoulders and say, "Not really," but if I put food in front of him, he'll eat it.  He also has a very erratic sleep pattern, and I think he has sleep apnea, due to heavy snoring and, occasionally, stopping breathing at night.  (All pretty standard.)

I strongly recommend tracking your food intake for 3-5 days.  You'll probably find you eat much less (or more) than you think you do.  If you eat less, make an effort to have a healthy snack every 2-3 hours.  That could help a lot.  If you're eating more than you think, take a deep look at what you're eating.  If you eat a lot of sugar, your body will be constantly crashing from sugar highs, so you will feel tired a lot.  This is what you usually see with people who drink lots of soda every day.

(Already!?) Level 3 Ranger / Epic Declutterer / Prolific Writer

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/163280

"Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change."  - Jim Rohn

Sleep apnea is a great thing to check out. 

Another thing to check out on the nausea front: See if you can get a referral to a GI doc or immunologist - I know a few people with weird medical problems and very long story short an auto-immune GI condition could easily cause your nausea (GI inflammation) and your exhaustion (malabsorption) at the same time, so it might be something to check out. Someone I know has Behcet's and her symptoms were basically random stomach aches, random bouts of nausea, exhausted all the time, and random bouts of the shits. Eventually she ended up in hospital with a GI bleed and that was when they realized something more was going on. Not saying that's what's happening with you, more that it's something to check out if sleep apnea doesn't pan out. 

Other things to think about:

• If you sleep with your partner, do they snore? Earplugs might help. 
  • Have you ever had trouble with breathing? Do you find you have a hard time keeping up with people of similar activity levels? Do you always seem to catch bronchitis after a cold? If the answer to any of those is "yes," take an asthma screening test (you can find a good one from the NHS here) and if you score high on it, talk to your doctor about asthma. 
  • Have you ever had trouble with your mental health? I have. Back when I had situational depression (it's in remission now thankfully), "tired all the time" and "bored with everything" were my two major symptoms when I was in the black pit. Like, the stereotype of depression is that you're sad and crying all the time - but the truth is, I would've welcomed sad because sad would mean I was feeling something. I was just numb... If that sounds familiar to you, maybe talk to your PCP about a referral to a mental health professional. 
  • Do you eat regularly? If you go too long between eating or have an irregular eating schedule, often you won't register you're hungry, you'll register "tired" or "headachy" or "cranky". I run into this one a lot because I tend to forget to eat. 

One thing I might suggest is spending some time in the sun/outside? 

It sounds like you walk around a lot so it may not be an issue but I definitely find that sunlight during the day a. helps me sleep better and more deeply at night and b. brightens me up and makes me feel more energetic. Even when I was walking a four-mile round trip commute and getting plenty of steps, since it was mostly in the early morning/evening I wasn't out and about at peak sunshine hours. 

Probably because I work in a city and live most of my life indoors, I'm like a wilted plant... I hydrate well but I really do need sunlight to survive. Try it any see how you feel! 

If you're prone to burning like I am, you'll be happy to hear that sunscreen makes only a negligible difference in the energizing effects of sunshine (although I always feel better about myself having avoided a sunburn, so maybe it makes a positive effect?) Anyway I'd say go for it and good luck!