Patiently waiting for the buddy update, I decided to read comments on the Facebook post to see who has got the update yet. Holy crap, what a load of whining!

I get that blocking rooted/jailbroken devices was an ill-informed decision, those complaints are justified. But have people still not realised that "sightings" can absolutely be used to track Pokemon? You just have to use a little brainpower. People can be so entitled.

Rant over. I'm still enjoying the game, updates and new features are coming we just have to be patient. 

• Like 1

Level 19 Jedi/Assassin in-training. 

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not." - Uncle Iroh

I'm still waiting for the update too. 

With the sightings thing, does the order the pokemon are in actually mean anything? I know it used to be that the ones on the top were closer, but I've heard conflicting reports with sightings. And I haven't had any luck figuring this out myself because when I do try to track, they always end up despawning before I can find them.

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

9 hours ago, Grayspeed said:

Patiently waiting for the buddy update, I decided to read comments on the Facebook post to see who has got the update yet. Holy crap, what a load of whining!

I get that blocking rooted/jailbroken devices was an ill-informed decision, those complaints are justified. But have people still not realised that "sightings" can absolutely be used to track Pokemon? You just have to use a little brainpower. People can be so entitled.

Rant over. I'm still enjoying the game, updates and new features are coming we just have to be patient. 

I actually prefer the sightings list that just indicates it's within 200m, makes the hunting more fun. Like you said, just need to use brain power.

20 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

I'm still waiting for the update too. 

With the sightings thing, does the order the pokemon are in actually mean anything? I know it used to be that the ones on the top were closer, but I've heard conflicting reports with sightings. And I haven't had any luck figuring this out myself because when I do try to track, they always end up despawning before I can find them.

Based on what I've read, I don't believe it does, or at least not consistently. Part of what the new method fixes on the server side vs the original distance method is that it no longer has to check your location at a high frequency to update the order/steps. Now it just refreshes your location every few seconds or so when it updates the sightings list. Because of this, the order would only reflect the relative distance of each pokemon vs where you were during the refresh/

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I've used sightings to track successfully a couple of times. Tracked down a Venosaur (!) the other day, but my great balls didn't cut it. One level away from ultra balls >: (

• Like 2

"You can have what you want, or you can have something better"

Character Page                Current Challenge    

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

PACT challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

To set an example for my patients and my family.

To no longer feel inferior or held back because of my weight.

To gain more confidence and be proud of my appearance.

Starting Weight: 290 lbs

Main Quest: Reach my Ideal Body Weight of 190 lbs

On 9/7/2016 at 4:23 PM, Mike_d85 said:

Next example: I hatched a Ponyta which FINALLY gave me the candies to evolve my OG Ponyta (one of my first egg hatches, and my first fire type).  Then, in a park that I walk through frequently and have never once encountered a Ponyta: two more spawned in succession.  I haven't seen one since.  In fact, that is the only time I've seen wild Ponytas and they really grab my attention because evolving that first ponyta has been an itch I wanted to scratch since the first week I played.

I've now seen 6 Ponyta, all 6 hatched from eggs.

I had hatched 2 and been at ~40 candy for a long time (since July).  Then I finally hatched another and evolved the best of the bunch (84.4%).  Then of course my next 2 eggs were also Ponyta (I got 3 straight).  The last one had 100% IV's.

I've been on a 100% IV hot streak.  I hatched that Ponyta and a 100% Abra the next day.  Last night (5 days later...) I caught another 100% Eevee in the wild (my 2nd).  I've evolved the Eevee, bummer, Discharge Jolteon (worst possible Eevolution).  First one was a Hydro Pump Vape though (best possible Eevolution).

Loving the buddy.  I finally have a path forward for my 100% Charmeleon (hatched as a charmander), only 210.2 KM more to go....  Already used it to evolve a Raichu for my son.  I was going to use it to work on my first dragon, but I catch a dragonite or two a week and have about 35 candy to go, 5 km/candy is real tough to swallow; charmander are a lot scarcer to find and only 3 km/candy (since the game came out I've caught 5 wild charmanders and 1 wild charmeleon, whereas I've caught 12 dratini, most of them more recent as I know how to fish for them).

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

7 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I've used sightings to track successfully a couple of times. Tracked down a Venosaur (!) the other day, but my great balls didn't cut it. One level away from ultra balls >: (

Don't expect much improvement.  On tough stuff like that, the catch rate only goes up a little bit.  I've had bulbasaurs chew through a dozen yellow balls and berries.

I can almost always find something if I see it on the sightings.  I also have an overlay/underneath app that does the triangulating for you (I just got it from the play store yesterday) that I've used a couple times now when in unfamiliar areas.  In areas I frequent, I have all the spawn points and times memorized, so finding them is pretty easy.  

Yesterday AM I caught a Snorlax, my son saw it on the scanner as I was dropping him off at school, given where he disappeared from sightings as we got close to the school, I knew exactly where it was and got it after dropping him off (my first, no longer part of the no snorlax/lapras/dragonite club, which by lvl 27 was kinda crazy to still be a part of).

• Like 1

currently cutting

don't panic!

Sorry for the triple post, but...

Now that we are more than 2 months in, I love this game.  I was trying to explain to one of my childhood friends that knows little about it what the appeal is..

When we were little we used to spend our time going around catching critters, mostly snakes and frogs, keeping them in buckets for a while then letting them go.  Pokemon go is just a virtual form of that.  Fishing is another activity its very similar to (much moreso than hunting).  I still get a huge rush when catching something rare.

But there is also the nerd side to the game.  Using spreadsheets and calculating just who the best is, who you should be concentrating your dust on.  Figuring out who you should use in what situation, and what you really want to find/evolve.

And there is also the peacocking side of the game, not all that dissimilar to part of the appeal of a lifting/fitness lifestyle.  My dudes are bigger and better than your dudes, which is displayed at all the gyms around.

It also an optimization strategy game; the best players not only play more, they also use the best strategy.  Over time my hauls of supplies (stops) and pokemon has gone up, the quality of the Pokemon I'm bringing in has gone up, gyms get easier and easier to beat and train up and I've figured out how to hold more and more gyms every day.  Optimization strategy in Pogo is not all that dissimilar from say Civ (my all time favorite game), a game that is all about optimization and efficiency.

Finally its a workout.  I can't decide whether its been good or bad (for me).  I'm stopped distance running, but my total miles has dramatically increased (most of it walking), though I run through bits of every walking session, so I'm running a little here and there every day.  I'm hitting the gym less, but more efficient with my time there (tho my legs are oft dead and leg day gets skipped too much).  The scale has been a roller coaster but I think I'm leaning out again at the moment.  Its hard to say your fitness is backsliding when you're running/walking 5+ mi/day most days.

• Like 2

currently cutting

don't panic!

Not gonna lie, I skipped a lot of this thread. Late to the thread, but not to the game. Team Instinct! Currently lvl 24 w/ Ivysaur as my buddy and I have to walk 3km for 1 candy. Not cool. I don't play as vigorously as I used to, but I still crack the app open multiple times per week. I don't battle much. I was saving up for a bag upgrade because I refuse to spend money on the game, but I accidentally bought a lucky egg while I was mowing the lawn and now I'm down to 40 gold and I'm mad.

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

3 minutes ago, Nedwin said:

Not gonna lie, I skipped a lot of this thread. Late to the thread, but not to the game. Team Instinct! Currently lvl 24 w/ Ivysaur as my buddy and I have to walk 3km for 1 candy. Not cool. I don't play as vigorously as I used to, but I still crack the app open multiple times per week. I don't battle much. I was saving up for a bag upgrade because I refuse to spend money on the game, but I accidentally bought a lucky egg while I was mowing the lawn and now I'm down to 40 gold and I'm mad.

Got my Venosaur a few weeks back, he's awesome. Rocking my Machoke as my buddy, only have 10 candies. That's gonna be a lot of walking.

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Who's still playing on here?

I'm still going strong but I've lost some motivation since the last nest migration killed off quite a few of my local nests. Still enjoying the game and looking forwards to actually being able to hold gyms for a decent amount of time once winter comes around.

Level 19 Jedi/Assassin in-training. 

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not." - Uncle Iroh

I play it when I'm bored but I see a guy come by my work every M-F to get the gym here. 

GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

I play when I get out running/rucking, which isn't often right now. Trying to up it.

500 / 330 / 625

I only play when I commute.  I'm pretty sure even my pace at a jog is registering as "driving".  I ran for something like 10k and the app only recorded 2k (including my walk to the park and warmup).

I just switched my buddy to a Bellsprout because I have a 962 CP Weepinbell I want to evolve.  Of course as soon as I thought "I want to evolve that Weepinbell" all of a sudden all the bellsprouts just stopped showing up in the park.  Then I'll put Charmeleon back as my buddy till I get a Charizard (sometime in 2025, I think).

My Battle Log 

I'm on Strava for my running now.

Check out Kick! too.  You unlock gear with your progress on Strava.

14 minutes ago, Mike_d85 said:

I just switched my buddy to a Bellsprout because I have a 962 CP Weepinbell I want to evolve.  Of course as soon as I thought "I want to evolve that Weepinbell" all of a sudden all the bellsprouts just stopped showing up in the park.  Then I'll put Charmeleon back as my buddy till I get a Charizard (sometime in 2025, I think).

I feel your pain. I'm level 25 and I have 26 squirtle candies. He's my buddy for the next 300 km or so.

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

Any other city canyon dwellers that get the spinny pokey ball of death that doesn't count km's walked? I started taking my phone with me while running and where as my GPS and a few 5k road races have the route I run as 5k, PG constantly shortens it up to almost by half sometimes.

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

Just now, Frost of the Gloaming said:

Any other city canyon dwellers that get the spinny pokey ball of death that doesn't count km's walked? I started taking my phone with me while running and where as my GPS and a few 5k road races have the route I run as 5k, PG constantly shortens it up to almost by half sometimes.

Yeah, this is what I was talking about.  PG sees a super low pace as "driving" and doesn't log it as miles walked.  Basically if you're running over 10 kmh (a 6 min KM and I'm not doing the math to switch that to a X minute mile), you're losing your mileage (source).

My Battle Log 

I'm on Strava for my running now.

Check out Kick! too.  You unlock gear with your progress on Strava.

Yeah, I noticed the spawning turning off while driving. It's ok, I only play at red lights. Mostly have it open for those brief moments before and after stops when I collect steps.

500 / 330 / 625