Health Trends Gone Mad

On 1/6/2017 at 5:18 AM, Baldilocks said:

I have seen products that say something like, this product is known to cause cancer in the state of California.  What are we to stupid in the Midwest for it to have any effect on us?

In fairness, the labels say "known to the State of California to cause cancer."

So it causes cancer everywhere, but only California knows it.

• Like 3

personally I love the way that people will be convinced a product is "healthy" by the way it's packaged. We have a product over here called Nature Valley bars, it's got the word nature in its title, the wrapper is green with a picture of fields of corn on it, it's gotta be healthy - right? The fact that it's incredibly high in sugar isn't important, now is it! :hopelessness: 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

18 hours ago, Guzzi said:

personally I love the way that people will be convinced a product is "healthy" by the way it's packaged. We have a product over here called Nature Valley bars, it's got the word nature in its title, the wrapper is green with a picture of fields of corn on it, it's gotta be healthy - right? The fact that it's incredibly high in sugar isn't important, now is it! :hopelessness: 

If the wrapper is green, Spiff assumes its all natural and healthy.

Mama Gnome, Healer and Crafter

Keeper of the Five Hobbits

All Around Awesome

On 1/31/2017 at 1:58 AM, Guzzi said:

I used to eat those all the time, oh my word

• Like 2

That's neat, and so are you

On 07/02/2017 at 9:27 PM, Captainfantastic said:

I used to eat those all the time, oh my word

You are not alone.  They pay people lots of money to fool you like that with their packaging and marketing.  It's just that we aren't being taught from a young age to think for ourselves any more, lol! ;) 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

On 10/02/2017 at 11:28 PM, Guzzi said:

You are not alone.  They pay people lots of money to fool you like that with their packaging and marketing.  It's just that we aren't being taught from a young age to think for ourselves any more, lol! ;) 

If we thought for ourselves, the corporate overlords couldn't profit off of our naivety. We can't have that now can we?

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

17 hours ago, Treva said:

me too!! Until I switched over and started making my own snacks.  I was so shocked at how much sugar they have in those bars!  Granola bars really can be dressed up candy bars sometimes.

So true. I still eat granola bars or breakfast bars sometimes but I'm under no illusion that they're anything other than little sugar bombs. Same with yogurt, even the Greek kind, and especially the kind marketed to children.

I work in the food manufacturing industry and know aaaaaaall about making packaging convey a specific message to the consumer. Food packaging is serious business for most of these companies.