Well hello there....

So I guess im to start here.....ok its simple im 36 and out of shape for the first time in my life..... I honestly dont know where to start. So I lift everyday, and if I cant lift im doin push ups and crunches. It's tough with 4 kids. Supplements im rolling with whey and creatine mix post workout shake. Water and hard boiled eggs most lunches. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome, Rebel!

It sounds like you'll fit right in with the Warriors if you're into the power lifting thing, Rangers if you want to do all the things. @RandMart's unique style aside, he does make a good point: your goals will determine your exercise and nutrition needs so you'll want to clarify those before anyone can offer useful advice. And advice you will find; this is a really helpful and supportive bunch!

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

Hey @Aynon13

Well done for making the decision to try and get healthy. Im sure you want to be a good example for your kids and that's a fantastic thing. You haven't given us a lot of info there, but from what you have given I'd like to try and offer some advice to help you work out better and smarter. :) 

You said you lift every day. That's actually not as good for you as you first think. Muscle forms when it's resting, not when it's working, you need some rest days to get the results you want. I would suggest that you find a good program and follow it. Stronglifts 5x5 or 5/3/1 are both good and will give you direction and progression.

Next thing is your diet and supplements. Supplements Do Not replace good diet, they can supplement your diet but the reality is that unless you have your nutrition dialled in then supplements are just a waste of money. I know a lot of people at the gym will tell you different, but do they actually know what they're talking about or are they spouting Bro Sciene?

My advice? Ditch the supplements and work on building a better diet. Protein shakes can be useful, but I doubt you are working at a level where you need then. Most of us can get all the protein we need, yes even when we lift, from our food but protein isn't the only thing we need. You need a balanced diet, vitamins and supplements won't make up for a poor diet. There is a calculator for working out how much protein you need Here.

A lot of people here like the Paleo or Primal diets, those may or may not be right for you but they're worth checking out. If you like the sound of those then This site is really helpful.  There is a lot of different opinions on what is a "healthy" diet but the one thing that everyone would agree on is that we should all eat less sugar, less processed grains, and eat more vegetables. 

Im sorry if this sounds like I'm being negative towards you, I promise I'm not. Im sharing the information that I learnt over 2-3 years so that you can hopefully get a head start and get the most out of your training. I'm sure you will enjoy being part of this community, it really is very supportive. 

As Randmart said you should check out SevenofSeven, she's a mom of 7 boys, still finds time to work out, and probably lifts more weight than most men. 

Also check out the 4 Week Challenge. I think they are possibly the best tool there is to keep you focused on achieving your goals. They help you to mix with other members and make friends too. Win win in my book. ;) 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I came in to try to say something helpful to find that @Guzzi said it all for me!

Welcome to the rebellion, Aynon13! Having a programme is absolutely essential to make progress with any kind of strength training, as is rest, so moving to a routine will help a lot.

Hope you have a great time here and do pop over to the Warrior threads to say hello!

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Aynon13 said:

Well said, I felt no negativity at all just good sound advise, I actually started to routine my lifts. I do mon,wed,fri, I feel a bit better....

Brilliant!  I'm glad you found some useful advice there @Aynon13.  I know how tempting it is to try and do as much as you can when you are so keen to get healthy and you want results NOW GODDAMMIT!  But working to a program and having rest days is actually more effective even though you're doing less.  Which program did you decide to do, or are you making your own schedule?  If you're going your own one then you can always post in the Programming section Here for some feedback from the experienced lifters.

We are just getting to the end of Week 1 of the current challenge but you can still join in and start a thread of your own if you fancy it?  It's a great way to integrate into the community and make friends.  You are supposed to post your first challenge as a Rebel and then you are free to post in any section but like SpecialSundae said there's nothing stopping you from reading or posting in any section at any time.  I'm sure you'll get a lot of help and advice from the Warriors section once you post your challenge in there.  They're a really good bunch of guys and girls.

Oh yeah, and if you want any motivation then you should check out @SpecialSundae.  Unless of course you're intimidated by women who can out-lift you, in which case you probably don't want to look at her stats... ;) 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Thanx all for the advise and support im horrible at responding to things sometimes...I found a routine, im going to set a diet cause well I definitely failed my other....im in a mix though between a paleo and a primal...not sure the one to tackle...As far as goals id like to drop to 200 and build from that...I dont have much equipment and knowinv that makes a diff im slowly building it up. Again I cant say thank you enough for the advise and welcoming.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Aynon13 said:

im in a mix though between a paleo and a primal...not sure the one to tackle

Paleo, primal, they're so close that they're pretty much interchangeable these days. *ducks a flaming missile* Oops, I seem to have offended someone (people can be so touchy about labels!)

Anyway, if you're just getting started on improving your diet, don't worry about the labels. Just focus on 1) getting rid of the junk - sodas, sweets, empty calories/excessive carbs, anything that comes in a box and can sit on the shelf for a year without going bad; and 2) replacing said junk with real food like veggies, quality protein, healthy fats, and water. Beyond that, experimentation will determine the right diet for you.

That right there will get you most of the way to your goal if it's primarily to shed fat and get healthier. If you start competing in a sport like powerlifting, where you have to balance maximum strength with maintaining a particular weight class, things start getting more complicated. But you can worry about that then. :) 

• Like 1

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

Lol again sorry for.delay in post and I know I.had posted in my battle board? Post ok if thats not what it's called im calling it that cause it sounds tuff......anyway I utterly failed and have to reset myself.....eeerrrrrr is all I can say still been working out but my eating habit well no good.....k im resetting and back in it...

• Like 1

@Aynon13 Have you considered making a challenge thread? We've started week two but that's ok, you can jump in at any time. They're great for getting support and advice from other members. Generally if you cheer someone else on then they will return the favour. I always find that the more you update your thread the more you succeed, it's that old accountability thing, works like magic! If you're struggling to stay on point then this might be really useful for you. 

You can read up about the challenges Here and once you're ready you can post your thread in here. If you do decide to join in then don't forget to post a link in here so we can come by and cheer you on. 

Ps. Loved the "tough" bit! :D 

@guzzi yes I have thought about it....and I would definitely cheer you on if u have one....Its hard for me and without making excuses, it really just is....im trying to stay on here cause it has been helping. I fail, I write, I feel better, I get feed back, then motivation kicks in.. Ive been killing this primal diet for the past week well since wed..lol but ive upped my dumbell rep and weight by 10. I think maybe let me stay at my groove thing....and in like 2 weeks to a month ill jump into a challenge...and accountability is like a brownie in the oven :-).its so sweet.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, RandMart said:

As far as I know; Challenges are not a requisite for NF membership ... otherwise I would have gotten kicked out LONG ago, since i haven't done a single one here

You know Rand, I didn't do my first challenge until I'd been on here for like, a year?  I just hung around in The Pub with you and the gang, oh the memories...

yGjQ8Bg.gif

You guys are funny.....lol. I am sorry I.didnt answer ur post earlier rand, the kids eat what I eat....they dont have a choice im the cook...lol. As far as what im training for well my family and myself. I used to be really active a small framed guy with a heart to train big then I put on life weight as I will call it, and just worked not much activity....and it just kept on. Philosophy of it is what it is, well just isnt cutting it anymore. I have my voals put up on my battle log....still sounds tuff... Not that they fully matter I keep changing them, not to make them easier but just keeps changing......

• Like 1
7 hours ago, RandMart said:

Yeah, @Guzzi & I have what is called a "special relationship" :D

Yeah, one of us is "special" if you get what I'm sayin'  :stupid:

Don't worry though Rand, I still love you! ;) 

Elf-Buddy-I-Love-You.gif

1 hour ago, RandMart said:

"New Jersey: A cultural petri dish from which regularly issues forth greatness" - Anthony Bourdain

http://www.eater.com/2015/6/1/8686381/anthony-bourdain-parts-unknown-new-jersey

Rand, where do you find this stuff! You have a link for everything:applause: