So it was probably about two or three months ago that I was last on the forums, and my goals (except one) at that point have all gone down the toilet. I did get my 5k done, but I didn't complete the C25k plan due to laziness and a foot injury (in that order). I stopped my healthier eating, I haven't been lifting, and I've only been walking once or twice a week. I think I tried to change too many things at once. So what I have going right now is:

Walking 1-2x per week

One self defense class per week (when I can make it)

Not sure what the next baby step should be. Maybe lifting once or twice a week? And when it comes to lifting I'm not sure where to begin. Advice is very welcome! 

• Like 1

Maybe one small food change as well? Slowly cutting out soda or some other small thing that you may eat or drink a lot of that could derail healthy choices?

Otherwise, those goals sound good :)

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Becomes Her Own Hero

Jedi Battle Log

“Keep Calm, Carry On, and Don't Freeze Up!”

- Oboro Shirakumo (Loud Cloud), My Hero Academia Vigilantes

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

Walking is excellent; it is THE no-excuse exercise because you can literally do it anywhere with zero equipment. Seriously, you can be barefoot and do it - hell, you can be completely naked and still do it! :P Although I would advise you do so only in your own home, and keep the shades drawn for the duration of your activity. ;) I used to pace while I watched TV... hm... why did I stop doing that, anyway? I should start again. 

But back to you! :) Walking is a great choice as an exercise goal, but only if you actually have a goal for it - that is, some way to measure your success. Are you planning to walk a certain number of steps each day? A specific distance? Or are you planning on walking for a predetermined amount of time? Are you including the walking you normally do while going about your day, or are you only going to be tracking the walking you do for exercise?

• Like 1

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

7 minutes ago, Knitticism said:

I like the diet change idea, @TheGreyJedi-Ranger. I've never drank pop, and I really don't eat too many sweets... Maybe finding a better side than chips for my lunch? I swapped for carrots, but I don't like very many other raw veggies, so I need to find some other options there

That's a good one! I don't know what your protein usually looks like or if you're anti carb, but you can start by replacing the chips with maybe something carb but better at first? Like nuts or something with a whole wheat bread sort of base? and you can still add the veggies but protein or good carbs can keep you fuller (especially protein). 

You could also do some hummus (protein) and some different raw veggies like carrots, peppers, or some people eat snap peas raw *shivers* I can link you to a thread I made a while back while I was still trying to like hummus and people gave me a bunch of suggestions on how to eat it?

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48#49#50#51#52#53#54#55#56#57#58#59#60#61#62#63

@Evicious, I'm kind of at an in-between phase for my walking right now. I have a heart condition and things are going really well, but if I push it too hard I definitely feel it! I just upped my speed to 3 mph, and I'm going to hover here for a while, maybe a month or so? Then I plan on using the C25K plan to up my speed about .25 mi faster. My ultimate goal is to run a 5k, but my cardiologist need talked around some. She's a little over cautious imo. I'm only tracking intentional walking, when I go the park/gym/whatever. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, TheGreyJedi-Ranger said:

That's a good one! I don't know what your protein usually looks like or if you're anti carb, but you can start by replacing the chips with maybe something carb but better at first? Like nuts or something with a whole wheat bread sort of base? and you can still add the veggies but protein or good carbs can keep you fuller (especially protein). 

You could also do some hummus (protein) and some different raw veggies like carrots, peppers, or some people eat snap peas raw *shivers* I can link you to a thread I made a while back while I was still trying to like hummus and people gave me a bunch of suggestions on how to eat it?

Those are awesome ideas! I've always wanted to try hummus, but a lot of what I found has spicy ingredients, and I have really wimpy taste buds lol. If you could give me that link that would be great. Thanks so much!

Just now, Knitticism said:

Those are awesome ideas! I've always wanted to try hummus, but a lot of what I found has spicy ingredients, and I have really wimpy taste buds lol. If you could give me that link that would be great. Thanks so much!

Garlic hummus or plain hummus aren't terribly spicy, there's a sweet red pepper kind I like that's not too bad either. I don't think pine nuts are spicy? not sure haha

So I just went looking and I think it went missing at some point when they changed the website :/ I'd look around in the food forums for ideas on new things you can eat. Also google "things to eat with hummus" is a good option xD

You can also put it on sandwiches I think, but I'm more of an eat it as a dip kinda person. Most veggies will work, Pita is a good one (I'm a pita chip sort), and here's an article about more interesting ways to eat it :)

(this makes me wanna make or buy hummus again)

3 minutes ago, Knitticism said:

@Evicious, I'm kind of at an in-between phase for my walking right now. I have a heart condition and things are going really well, but if I push it too hard I definitely feel it! I just upped my speed to 3 mph, and I'm going to hover here for a while, maybe a month or so? Then I plan on using the C25K plan to up my speed about .25 mi faster. My ultimate goal is to run a 5k, but my cardiologist need talked around some. She's a little over cautious imo. I'm only tracking intentional walking, when I go the park/gym/whatever. 

If that's the case, maybe your goal can be "I want to walk ____ mi every week" and make it reasonable without making it too easy!

• Like 2

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

19 minutes ago, Knitticism said:

The general rule of thumb when you're trying to improve your cardio is itty-bitty baby-steps. :) I don't know what your walk speed was prior to your recent increase to 3 mph, but if it was a big jump there is absolutely no shame is scaling down again to a more moderate effort. I've told my story to several people with cardio goals, and I'll share it with you as well: when I first started running, the only way I managed to increase my time and mileage was by literally only going .1 faster/further on the treadmill! I'd hold that .1 increase until it felt easy, and then I'd up the ante by .1 all over again. Sometimes it only took a week to get used to it; other times, it took months! But .1 adds up to HUGE numbers if you give it a chance. So never give up on getting better! Given your medical condition, I encourage you to keep an open dialogue with your cardiologist whenever you achieve a goal and are moving on to the next one. That way you're not only keeping her informed on your progress, you're also reinforcing the fact that you are going to run eventually. ;)

Tip: If you find yourself stalling at a certain speed increase, try increasing your distance instead for a few weeks. Then try increasing your speed again; most people find they've "magically" become faster after even a week of increased mileage.

• Like 2

Keep up the momentum!

9 minutes ago, Evicious said:

The general rule of thumb when you're trying to improve your cardio is itty-bitty baby-steps. :) I don't know what your walk speed was prior to your recent increase to 3 mph, but if it was a big jump there is absolutely no shame is scaling down again to a more moderate effort. I've told my story to several people with cardio goals, and I'll share it with you as well: when I first started running, the only way I managed to increase my time and mileage was by literally only going .1 faster/further on the treadmill! I'd hold that .1 increase until it felt easy, and then I'd up the ante by .1 all over again. Sometimes it only took a week to get used to it; other times, it took months! But .1 adds up to HUGE numbers if you give it a chance. So never give up on getting better! Given your medical condition, I encourage you to keep an open dialogue with your cardiologist whenever you achieve a goal and are moving on to the next one. That way you're not only keeping her informed on your progress, you're also reinforcing the fact that you are going to run eventually. ;)

Tip: If you find yourself stalling at a certain speed increase, try increasing your distance instead for a few weeks. Then try increasing your speed again; most people find they've "magically" become faster after even a week of increased mileage.

^^I didn't realize how much I needed this.

I'm going to start cardio as well, and I've got allergies and some mild asthma that flares up when my allergies are inadequately treated. Which doesn't sound problematic until you learn that I failed both the skin test and the alternate blood test they give (allergist told me that I've definitely got allergies since I respond to antihistamines, but he thinks the allergies are located only in my respiratory system/sinuses) so I can't get allergy shots. I also have a bad emotional response to the only non-sterioid asthma-allergy treatment (it makes me depressed and legit was the biggest reason I needed my last respawn). I've essentially got allergies from hell that I'm inadequately treating with two OTC allergy meds (Claratin and Flonaise if you're familiar) and a spoonful of local honey daily.  

So I'm changing from running outside to getting a gym membership and using a treadmill which doesn't stress my respiratory system so badly since there are fewer allergens in a gym (I've had good results running on a track indoors too) and there isn't so much heat stress on my body. The plan is to eventually transition to running outside once I've built up some respiratory strength.

A couple of quick questions:

Did you go daily? if not, how often did you go?

Any suggestions on how long I should go? 

Should I start with running or a fast walk?

If you have any other tips for me, that would also be great :)

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

When I started walking, I only went 2-3 times per week, about 20 minutes per session at a steady moderate pace. I had to play around with the pace a bit to find the right one for me, but once I found it i stayed there for a few weeks with no incline, just getting myself used to the idea of walking. Then I started playing around with different distances and inclines until I settled on the c25k program to (a) built my speed (by .2 mph) and (B) get myself ready for the Color Run I did last weekend.

Probably the best advice I can give is start slow a couple times a week, and really listen to your body. For me it would be about 20 minutes after I finished my walk before I had a "this is not good" feeling.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Knitticism said:

When I started walking, I only went 2-3 times per week, about 20 minutes per session at a steady moderate pace. I had to play around with the pace a bit to find the right one for me, but once I found it i stayed there for a few weeks with no incline, just getting myself used to the idea of walking. Then I started playing around with different distances and inclines until I settled on the c25k program to (a) built my speed (by .2 mph) and (B) get myself ready for the Color Run I did last weekend.

Probably the best advice I can give is start slow a couple times a week, and really listen to your body. For me it would be about 20 minutes after I finished my walk before I had a "this is not good" feeling.

Thanks <3 I was going to do the c25k thing. I've tried it before outside, and I can never get enough traction before it 1) rains or 2) it's too hot to consider even trying. So another reason for the 5k. I mean, one of my life goals is to run an entire 5k, but I dunno when it'll happen. Best time to start is now though!

• Like 2

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

1 hour ago, TheGreyJedi-Ranger said:

A couple of quick questions:

Did you go daily? if not, how often did you go?

Any suggestions on how long I should go? 

Should I start with running or a fast walk?

If you have any other tips for me, that would also be great :)

Allergies suck. My entire family has them, but I've been lucky enough not to succumb... yet. Not looking forward to that eventuality, though! So you're making a good call to workout indoors, in my opinion.

I did not go daily when I first started. Running is a high-impact activity, and the reason that matters so much has nothing to do with your cardiovascular system or your muscles - it's aaaaaallll about your joints. And I do mean all your joints: toes, ankles, knees, hips, and right up through your spinal cord. Yet another reason I tend to advise brand-new newbies to start out running on either grass or a treadmill. Otherwise you wind up with all kinds of compensatory problems.

So no, don't run daily. Every other day is good schedule for the general public (unless they're training competitively; then I recommend they do whatever their coach tells them to do). If you've never run a mile in your life, you may do even better to take 2 days off from running; you can implement strength training on one of the days between running, if you feel up to it. Just don't focus your workout on your legs if you're doing it the day prior to your run.

One mile is good test distance to determine your running goals. If it's easy, you can either increase the distance or the speed of your next run - but only increase one of them at a time. Keep doing that until you reach a point where it is no longer easy for you to accomplish the run: you should know that you can finish it, but you should feel like you really want to stop now. That's your starting point.

Odds are good, however, that if you've never run a mile it is not going to be easy when you first try. That's normal, and to be expected. You should go into your very first run with a completely open mind. Don't start with any expectations whatsoever - don't worry about how fast you're going, or how far you get. The goal of your first run is to determine your starting point. If you find you can't run for longer than 3 minutes before you begin to feel the cold grasp of Death's knuckle bones on your shoulder, slow back down to a walk and do a couple victory pumps for yourself. Congratulations, you've found your threshold! Now your real training begins!

And regarding your starting pace: forget the numbers on the treadmill. Fiddle around with the speed until you find a pace where you can talk (yes, out loud) but not sing. Semi-gasping breaths between sentences are what you're looking for; if you start gulping air between every word, then slow the fuck down - you're not breathing at that point, you're hyperventilating. Once you find a good speed, take note of the treadmill number because you will be increasing it as you progress. I personally started out "running" (shuffling was more like it) at 3.5, according to the treadmill. Nowadays my recovery pace is an even 5!

One thing I strongly encourage you to do from Day 1 is to pump up the treadmill elevation to at least a 1. Doing so better mimics the amount of effort you'd expend when running on solid ground. I can tell you from experience that there is a significant difference - it absolutely shocked me the first time I did it. There I was, thinking how badass of a runner I'd become with all the training I'd done on the treadmill, and within half a mile outside I was dying. The treadmill really does "help" you run. Nowadays if I run on a treadmill, I do so on a 2% incline. That's not me bragging, either. It's the practical solution for what happens when you're not used to running on a treadmill; namely, you run through it! Running on the treadmill is so different from running on solid ground, you'll find your stride changes: on a treadmill, your stride will likely be shortened (because your brain notices that you have a barrier in front of you, and even though you know you won't run into it your body will still respond defensively) whereas off the treadmill your stride will naturally lengthen. Neither of those is a bad thing, btw. I mention it only because *I* was so startled by the difference when I first experienced it. :P

In summary:

Try for a mile; take whatever distance you get with a victory dance.

Run at a pace that allows you to talk, but not sing.

Pick either speed or distance to increase once you find your starting point, but not both.

Increase the incline on the treadmill to at least 1.

Go get 'em, tiger. ;)

• Like 2

Keep up the momentum!

@Evicious thank you, thank you, THANK YOU <3

You legit gave me EXACTLY what I needed to know to start out. That's going to make my workout today so much less stressful/complex. I can at least pretend to know what I'm doing haha. It makes me wish I'd brought my old workout notebook, but I'll take pictures of the treadmill with my phone this go round and record it when I get home tonight.

I know for a fact that I can't run a mile anymore (I've tried), and that's a good first goal for me ^_^

• Like 2

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

1 hour ago, Evicious said:

You're welcome ^_^ I'm really glad I could help!

I just want you to know that I just had the best run I've had in like 3 years today :) I ran a quarter mile twice, I usually can't run more than a minute or so. 

• Like 3

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

@Knitticism sorry for hijacking your thread :/

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

5 minutes ago, RandMart said:

Sorry, Evie, that's not entirely true, although not entirely false either, though. Remember: For every single thing that One Runner says is the absolute best and most prefect way to do something [and has the data to prove it], Another Runner will says that it's completely utterly and horribly wrong [and ALSO has the data to prove it]

http://www.runnersworld.com/newswire/biomechanics-expert-debunks-treadmill-running-myths

YMMV

Thanks for this article, that was super helpful and really interesting! :)

In all reality it will be a long time before I try to mess with running outside anyway. I'm just trying to build up some basic endurance first to help my poor lungs. I'm fairly sure that the incline at 1 won't really hurt, and it could help (if I'm wrong, please please tell me). And once I get to the point where I want to start running outside, I'll just aim to be able to run on the treadmill for significantly longer than I'd run outside and start adding running outdoors to my workout schedule.

Running outside isn't really a good option for me (see previous posts) so I doubt it will be a normal thing. One of my epic quests is to run a whole 5k, but other than that I'd rather run in climate controlled places anyway xD

I'm willing to try pretty much anything at this point, I enjoy the feeling of running when I can actually breathe.

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

Just now, RandMart said:

Why stop at 5K? if you have the time and the gym has no limits, you COULD do a HM indoors

http://www.runnersworld.com/newswire/treadmill-half-marathon-world-record-set-at-boston-marathon-expo

5k is the first goal! I have no doubt that I'll increase the goal once I get to the 5k mark, I'm really competitive and my aunt and cousin run 1/2s and wholes, I'd love to be able to try it :) 

I just want to break it down into more digestible goals. First goal: 1 mile. I haven't been able to run a mile since I played quidditch two years ago. Then 5k, then probably 10k, and I might throw some intervals or speed goals in there too. My 5k epic quest is to run a charity 5k outside :) I run a breast cancer for my grandmother every year now b/c she's beat it twice. I can't run the whole thing, but I'd love to make it work one day!

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log

27 minutes ago, RandMart said:

Sorry, Evie, that's not entirely true, although not entirely false either, though. Remember: For every single thing that One Runner says is the absolute best and most prefect way to do something [and has the data to prove it], Another Runner will says that it's completely utterly and horribly wrong [and ALSO has the data to prove it]

http://www.runnersworld.com/newswire/biomechanics-expert-debunks-treadmill-running-myths

Oh, wow! It never occurred to me that might not be true; it made so much sense at first glance, I didn't even question it! I appreciate you getting us the correct info, RandMart. :)

• Like 1

Keep up the momentum!

1 minute ago, RandMart said:

Then there is the the Gary the Vale Ultramarathon Training Program

In a nutshell: Every week, you add ONE mile to your long run; ideally, by going 1/2 a mile further on an out-n-back route, so you can look down the road and say to yourself "Self. We're going down to there next week. Just a little further, that's not so bad, right?"

Now, be warned ... to my knowledge, no one has actually started at zero [or 1, as the case may be] and stuck with it for an ENTIRE year, culminating in a 52-mile run on New Years Eve or New Years Day, whichever is more appropriate [people tend to do silly things like sign up for races along the way, messing up the progression]

I'll have to try that once I've got a bit of basic endurance! I'm trying to be careful right now, I used to run to the point where I thought I would pass out. Not a useful running plan. It was because of my respiratory/allergy issues, but it still doesn't feel good. Right now I'm looking at a quarter mile increase fairly regularly, which is plenty of progress for me! (for now.... dundundun)

• Like 1

Grey Jedi Ranger

Jedi Battle Log