Hi! 

I'm majiksummer, I'm 28 years old (as of last week!) and I'm trying to get in shape and lose some weight. I used to be in really good shape in my early 20's but after having been stuck on bed rest for the last two summers due to several pregnancies that ended in miscarriages and the resulting complications and hormonal issues (basically I was just really sick and stuck in bed for the majority of 2 years) I'm struggling to get the weight back off. This is the first summer I've been able to actually do the things I love again but my lack of physical fitness keeps getting in the way. I barrel race, and the hit my riding has taken from only being able to ride sporadically and the muscle I've lost, well it's been awful. I also love to camp, hike, fish, hunt, basically anything outdoorsy and not being in shape is really hurting my ability to do these things. I'm starting my second year of college and planning on getting my PhD in soil science/ biology so I'm super busy with school. I'm also married to an amazing guy and  have 3 great stepkids who spend the summers with my husband and me. I love to read, especially fantasy. I looooove Tolkien as well as most dystopian fiction. When I was in high school and jr. high I would disappear into books constantly, but I decided I want to be the one out living life not just experiencing it from the pages of a book so up until getting sick I had made it a goal to get out and live life. I miss that, I miss me, and I want it back.

So my goals and stats:

Height 5'10

Highest weight 200lbs (a month and a half ago)

Current weight 190lbs (this morning)

Goal weight 145-155 lbs

Current jean size 11 or 31

Goal jean size 6/8

I'm not positive where exactly I want my weight at, I've been as low as 137 (size 4ish) and I looked and felt great, but I was working on a ranch at the time, I cleaned around 45 stalls everyday, hauled hay, rode horses, did a super physical job for 9 hours a day and ate everything in sight and was still loosing weight. For example I would eat like a whole pizza for dinner and have a huge dessert and maybe a second dessert too. And I was 19 at the time. I just don't feel like that is a realistic goal for where I am in life right now. I just don't really want to have to work that hard again just to look like that. I just want to get back in my size 6/8s and feel stronger and be able to stick with my horse better when I'm barrel racing. Plus I figure I can fine tune the exact size I want to be when I get a little closer. 

What I've been doing so far

I've been eating better, less junk food, more salads, veggies, and meat. I've also been trying to just be more active. I'm riding horses ~3 times a week plus school keeps me on my feet and moving in between classes. I swear my classes are on opposite sides of campus this fall so I'm going to be hustling back and forth across campus several times a day. I feel like my weight has been kind of stuck right now, probably because I'm headed into finals this week so I haven't been moving as much (I took 10 credits of summer classes, eeek!) I'm hoping to get it going back down again once I get through this week. My next big goal weight is 185 and I'm hoping to be there around the end of August when classes start back up. My college also offers several free morning workout classes that fit perfectly in my schedule this fall so I will be going to those 2-3 times a week once they start up. I'm hoping that they can help me get in good enough shape to try a judo class during the spring semester, I'd like to try krav maga but  they don't offer krav maga. I think it sounds like fun, plus it's something I've never tried and it seems to have great self defense applications. 

So yeah... that's about all

Any advice or tips would be great! I'm planning on posting weekly with updates and to help keep myself accountable and motiivated. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi @majiksummer!

It sounds like you've made a great start.  I'm sorry it's been so long before anyone responded to your post, it's the end of week 2 of the current challenge which is where people usually have a bit of a wobble and it can get a bit quiet on here for a couple of days. 

I posted some advice to another new member about the forum and challenges here. I didn't want to type it out all over again, hope you don't mind. :) 

I miss that, I miss me, and I want it back.

^^^This resonates with me so much!  I'm in a similar situation to yourself, I've been practically bed bound for most of the last year and suffered serious pain and mobility problems for about a year before that too.  It's left me weak and a bit flabby, though I haven't put on a huge amount of weight because of the lessons I learned when I lost weight from over 210lbs to around 140lbs.  I learned by making mistakes, the biggest of which was making weight loss my only goal.  I ended up practically starving myself (eating only 200-ish calories a day) and exercising way too much.  I lost lots of weight that way but an operation and subsequent recovery time came along, and of course it all just piled back on again because I hadn't actually learned how to eat and exercise healthily. Doh!

The biggest thing I learned was to hide my scale (so I didn't become obsessed with my weight) and to focus on making small changes that help me towards my ultimate goal - being healthy.  I started using the challenges and set myself small, realistic goals like eating vegetables with lunch or drinking more water.  As time passed these things just became part of my normal routine so I would introduce another goal, maybe eating a healthier breakfast.  I remember one challenge I had a goal to eat something green with every meal, I think I failed that one though, lol!

I'm still learning of course.  Just now I'm trying to learn how to focus on accepting what I can do and letting go of any unrealistic expectations about my fitness.  Sound familiar?  I think I'm a little behind you in my recovery but I'm sure we are probably facing similar challenges/obstacles. Hit me up if you ever want someone to chat to or let off steam, I understand what it's like I promise. :) 

There are a lot of inspirational women on this page who you might want to check out. @karinajean does TKD, @SpecialSundae is a champion powerlifter, and @Elastigirl is a ranger who Does All The Things! There are lot's of others too but they were the first ones that came to mind.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you find your way about, or help with anything else for that matter.  See you on the boards. ;) 

Guzzi

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Hi there! Sounds like the last couple of years have been rough with the miscarriages and hormone issues. Glad things seem to be improving now. I'm a Tolkien fan as well! Sounds like you are off to a great start to getting back in shape.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Thank you for the welcome and the encouragement!

I made it through finals week, ended up with straight A's again, and got a 96% on my chem final which was a major victory for me since it's a nationwide test and I scored in the top 1-2%!! Super stoked about that!

I also managed to lose a lb since last week, which was great since I was super busy studying and only made it out to ride twice and that was all the physical activity I managed to get in. Also, chocolate cravings like crazy didn't help much(pms)! I didn't give in as much as I wanted to, but still had a small bowl of ice cream with hot fudge and Oreo's on top two or three times and just snacked on Oreo's more than I probably should have. I don't normally keep any junk food like that in the house, but i wanted it so bad I went to the store at 11 o'clock at night to get it. Sigh. So much for will power. 

So... Goals for this week. No more chocolate snacking! There's not any chocolate left in the house and I'm not buying anymore, so that will make it easier. Also I'm out of school for a couple weeks so I'm really going to have to work to make sure I'm staying active, it's really tempting to just curl up with Netflix and veg. So I'm going to ride at least 3 times this week and I'm going to go explore a new hiking trail with the kids and my husband on Saturday. That gives me a couple days to find someplace new to go explore. 

Stats:

Starting Weight: 200 lbs

Last Weeks Weight: 190 lbs

Current Weight: 189 lbs

Goal Weight:155 lbs

• Like 1

Wow!  The top 1-2% in the nation???  That's fantastic!

Your goals for the week sound great, I hope you have fun on the hike with your family. :)  I laughed out loud at your admission of sneaking out at 11pm to go and buy chocolate, I think we've probably all done that at some point, lol!

Have you had much chance to explore the forum?  We are half way through week three of the current 4 Week Challenge which I think are absolutely brilliant for keeping you accountable and for really focusing your goals. Another new member who has just started his first challenge and found it really worked for him is @Myrdinn. You can read his challenge thread Here to see the difference it made to him. (I hope you don't mind me linking that Myrdinn!)  The next challenge start's on the 21st of August but there's nothing to stop you from joining in right now.  You could post in the challenge forum or just update your progress here, whatever feels best for you.

My advice would be to read through some of the current challenge threads and maybe join in to cheer some people on, that would help you to build some friendships which really helps when you do your own thread because they will cheer you on in return. That's the key for keeping you on track, having people to keep you accountable. :) 

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Cheers @Guzzi - link away, I'm flattered that you'd think of me.

Hi @majiksummer and welcome. I am just running out the door but will try and come up with something more constructive to say tomorrow morning when I'm back in front of my computer. For the moment I'll just echo Guzzi, the challenge format is certainly working for me. I am also running a battle log on here (link in my sig) which records what I eat and my exercise in a lot more detail.

• Like 1

Level 2 Warlock

Battle Log | First Challenge | Current Challenge

Hi @majiksummer, just wanted to add to the note from yesterday. So sorry to hear about your troubles. My wife and I have been trying to get pregnant for a few years and having a lot of treatment to try and get there. I can't imagine what the last couple of years have been like for you but did want to wish you all the best.

I won't bore you with my full backstory (it's in my intro thread here if you're particularly interested) but it sounds like we're here for broadly similar reasons and we share an interest in fantasy dystopia and the outdoor life, so I'll be following with interest and happy to answer any questions if I can.

• Like 2

Level 2 Warlock

Battle Log | First Challenge | Current Challenge

@majiksummer Hey, I'm new here too, and I think it sounds like you're off to a really good start. Good luck on your journey, and I think it's pretty impressive that you've had such a rough time, and are still working hard and so enthusiastic about improving your life.

See you around!

Aero

• Like 1

Thanks all! 

@Guzzi Yep, top 1-2% in the nation, I'm super super excited about it. 

I'm a little nervous about the 4 week challenges, I really like flexible weekly goals. It seems like that works better for the unpredictability that seems to be part of my life. I usually know what is coming up for each week and I can make achievable goals based on how crazy my life is going to be that week. I also feel like it gives me a "clean slate" each week to start over and do better. I'd like to try a 4 week challenge, but I think I'm going to wait till the next one starts. I just have to figure out goals that are achievable no matter what is going on.

@Myrdinn Thanks for the welcome! I went and read through your challenge thread and intro and it does sound like we share very similar interests and backstories, which is super cool! It's way fun to meet people who are interested in the same stuff as I am! I'm sorry to hear about you and your wife's struggles, that is heartbreaking. I totally understand falling off the wagon and just quitting on stuff when you're going through such a hard thing. I just reacted the opposite way by trying to control everything about my life I could. I guess since I felt I had absolutely no control over my miscarriages, I decided to control everything else I possibly could, in school, health, and my personal life. It hasn't been to the extreme, nothing unhealthy or anything, but it helps me to know that while there is absolutely nothing I can do to change whether or not I could have a baby, I can change how I feel, look, what I do in school, work, how I act, etc. I am in control of those parts of my life and it's empowering to me to know that I am.  Everybody handles these things differently this is just how I happened to handle my own challenges.

So it hasn't been a full week, but I'd like to start updating on Sunday so instead of waiting an extra few days to post, and possibly getting out of the habit, I decided to post early. So yeah, this last few days has been pretty good. I sent all the kids with my husband to work on Thursday and went and visited my mom and sister for the day(yay for grownup time!), which resulted in snacking on m&m's a bit. BUT I only had a handful and I got my mom to get some baked chicken along with the fried chicken and I made sauteed zucchini to go along with the pasta salad and potato salad my mom made for dinner. I skipped the "bad" salads and ate my super yummy zucchini ( not sarcasm, it's actually really good) and baked chicken so it was still a win on dinner that day. Friday we did stuffed zucchini for dinner (we have a garden and the zucchini are producing like crazy!). Stuffed zucchini is just a zucchini sliced in half the long way with the seeds scooped out and hollowed out slightly. Brown some hamburger with onion, peppers, and whatever other yummy veggies you have then let the hamburger cool slightly. Add a raw egg(or 2) to the hamburger mixture and mix together and fill the zucchini halves then bake till the zucchini is done. Top with a little bit of cheese (so the kids eat it lol) and then nom it. Super easy and super yummy. I think it's pretty healthy too, although I didn't put it in MFP to check. Then Saturday was venison steaks, and broccoli/cauliflower, and..... more zucchini! And stuffed jalapenos which are definitely not that healthy, but are oh so good. They're jalapenos sliced in half and seeded, filled with cream cheese, and wrapped in bacon then baked. Total fat bombs but they have a surprising amount of protein. It's ok though cause it fixed my macros in MFP for the day and I was still under my calorie allowance, so yay me! Also... almost another lb down! I wasn't really expecting much of a change yet, but it's nice to see that number keep going down. I know that eventually it will start changing from lbs lost to inches, so I'm going to get my husband to help me take measurements, although I'm also using the way that my clothes fit as a guide too. I have a couple pairs of jeans that are just a bit to tight to button but are between where I am now and my goal clothes so those are my short term goal clothes for now. I think they'll fit when I hit 175ish or so.

Stats:

Starting Weight: 200 lbs

Last Weeks Weight: 189 lbs

Current Weight: 188.2 lbs

Goal Weight:155 lbs

Fishing was meh tonight. It was fun to get out, and my husband and I both caught a couple fish, but the kids got totally skunked and were ready to come home and watch The Hobbit after a few hours. Yes I'm indoctrinating them young lol. This is their last weekend with us for the summer so we got pizza and watched movies. I unashamedly ate more pizza than I probably should have, but it's not something I do every day so I'm good with it. 

I realized that I didn't update on my goals from last week or make new goals for this week earlier in my very long rambling post. Sooo.....

No chocolate snacking- Feeling pretty good about this one. Yes I had a small handful of m&m's but it was in moderation and I refuse to completely get rid of all the yummies. I'm counting this as a win.

Riding 3 times this week- Not so good on this one, I made it out twice. It will be easier once kids are back at their mom's. They love to come ride with me, which is great and I love it, however it means it takes way more time for me to get them all saddled up and then I have to supervise them and I spend a lot of my riding time helping the kids instead of working on the stuff I want to work on. And I honestly just wasn't in the mood to play teacher this week. 

Hiking with hubby and kids- Check! Pretty pleased that I got this one done even though it got pushed till today instead of yesterday. It turned into more of a fishing trip than just a hike but it was physical activity so it's a win in my book. 

This week's goals,

Riding twice this week, I'm taking my kids school shopping on Monday and Tuesday, so won't have those two days to ride, but will be walking a ton!

Stretching- I want to start stretching every day, but I'm starting with 3 days a week as my current goal. I hate hate hate stretching, I'm sooo inflexible, it sucks and it hurts. But I want to be able to touch my toes, so stretching it is. I will do this for 10-15 min 3 days this week. Any good beginner stretching routines?

Cooking- I start back to school in a couple weeks so I want to cook two big batches of meat this week that I can portion and freeze for easy meals during the school year. I'm thinking chicken for one of the meats, but I haven't decided on the other. Maybe a pork roast? Idk I'll see what I have in the freezer and what's on sale this week and then decide.