A girl buys a white board... (Whiteboard updated through 11/13!!)

Food Log - October 23rd, 2016

Breakfast: 1 piece of peanut butter banana toast, 1 med cup of coffee with hazelnut creamer and half&half, 1 Bailey's chocolate, 1 bavarian cream donut

Pre-church snack: 1 can V8 (regular)

THEN THERE WAS A WORK PICNIC AND I GAVE UP FOR TODAY.

Thought!Splat

If anyone's been reading my food lists closely you'll probably notice that I have a donut problem. Which is probably true for a lot of folks. One thing I noticed this weekend wen I when I was at HEB is that I can't just buy one. My head is turned by the shiny variety of donuts to choose from. I also feel a sense of ridiculousness the same as when you use you're credit card to buy something that costs less than $1.00. Why am I wasting the bakery lady's time by asking her to wrap up and tag this one single donut?

Oh well. Sorry, imaginary feelings of annoying the bakery ladies. The rule from now on is: one donut per purchase. And now that they've put a Krispy Kreme stand in my local Wal-Mart, I should be even more choosy and stick just to those because they really are of the highest quality (and slightly smaller than the HEB donuts as well, which helps a tiny bit).

Someday maybe I can retire donuts to a once-in-a-rare-blue-moon kind of treat, but for now, let's see how I can proceed with the "There Can Be Only One" rule. ;-)

SPECIAL POST- Leveling up the respawn and trying to put some structure into my nutrition besides just food tracking. Tomorrow I'm doing my first weigh-in since... five weeks ago, maybe? I always give myself a goal of losing 2 lbs in two weeks and this time (two weeks from now) I'd like to hit it.

In the hopes of accountability, I'm taking some time here to talk about my meal plan. I did some preparatory grocery shopping and cooking this weekend. I have either five or six servings of my Greek Style Lentil soup in the fridge, probably my favorite and most reliable pressure cooker recipe to date. So here's the rough plan:

Breakfast: Peanut Butter Banana toast OR Scrambled Eggs with toast

Lunch: Greek Lentil Soup OR go to the Salad place at the food plaza, (plus a serving of fruit).

Supper: Greek Lentil Soup OR Rotisserie Chicken OR Eating Out Smartly

Mindful Snacks: Fruit (I have strawberries and grapes), Vegetables (Carrot Sticks or V8 juice), Greek Yogurts, Laughing Cow cheese wedges

Number of "treats": 14 or less. I just went through my food log for the past week and counted roughly 25 servings of sugary or empty calorie treats (donuts, cookies, breads, sugared coffee, alcohol). So, if by the same counting standards I can keep it to 14 or under (only two per day), that's over one less empty calorie treat per day. If I have a good week at work it will probably be a lot less naturally, but I'm setting myself a realistic bar that is still a "level up"

A note about V8.  I *love* V8. I always have, ever since I was little. Unforunately, regular V8 is really high in sodium, so I trained myself to learn to love low-sodium V8 just as much. It's a really great way for lazy people like me to get some vegetable nutrition.

The bad news? I can't get low sodium V8 here in Mexico. So I had stopped thinking of it as a vegetable option for the past year.

For now, as a temporary measure, I have decided to allow regular V8 into my diet as a vegetable choice. It's not ideal, but it's definitely better than a donut, and work stresses me out so much that trying to plan and prepare vegetables is a real chore. I actually don't mind good vegetables, but they can be so fickle (like if you buy bitter celery). I've learned that if I don't like it, I won't choke it down. (Those darn Oreos never let you down, though!)

Another reason is that I've still been fighting this lingering sickness and I need to build up my strength. I think the vegetable juice can give me a leg up in that department. If I can get to a level where I *do* have more energy, I can look to more "farm to mouth" vegetable options in the future.

So anyway. There you have it. Let's see how the week goes...!

Here are my White Board results for the Week of 10/17 through 10/23:

IMG_2466.JPG

NOTES:

The bad: 65% overall score for the week is pretty lousy.

The good: It's still a lot better than my score for the prior week of 42% - Yaaay, Level up. My running score for the quarter so far is 54%. Hey, it's more than half, right?

Wednesday 10/19 was a travel day. Since traveling with a busy bladder is a nightmare, I reduced my target water goal from 3Ls to 1L only (still didn't meet it). Because of the tight, insane morning schedule I had to adhere to I also cut the requirement for morning yoga on that day.

In a similar vein, I have a standing rule that on Sundays that, if I attend church, I don't have to drink my morning water bottle (otherwise it's five or six trips to the bathroom during service, which is mortifying to me). However, if I play hooky from church, the 3L per day still applies. Yesterday, I'm proud to admit, I got my butt to church!

Although not pictured here, my morning weigh-in today was very discouraging. I was up 5 pounds from my last weigh-in, six weeks ago. All those donuts are doing their job, eh?

But it's okay. Line in the sand, right? Gandalf at Khazad Dum: "You shall not pass.... 220 lbs!!"

I have a plan for this week. If I stick to my meal plan, my "treat" limit, exercise, and get a great whiteboard score, I think I should be able to get one of those pounds back by next week. Let's do this!

Food Log - October 24th, 2016

Breakfast: 1 piece of peanut butter banana toast (plus rest of banana), 1/2 cup of V8 splash with multivitamin, 1 mug of Tazo green ginger tea (unsweetened)

Morning Snack: 1 can regular V8

Lunch: 1 bowl Greek Lentil soup

Afternoon snacks: Carrot sticks (from 2 large carrots), 2 cups whole strawberries, Small piece of dark chocolate

Supper: Caprese salad (with about 3/4 cup of mozzerella and 3 roma tomatoes)

Evening snacks: 1 med cup of coffee with hazelnut creamer and half&half, 1 Hershey bar

"Treat" count for week: 2 out of 14

Exercise Log - October 24th, 2016

Morning Yoga - 4 sets

10 squats

Treadmill 3.5 kilometers (at flat pace of 5 kph)

Evening Yoga - 4 sets

Food Log - October 25th, 2016

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs w/ Parmesan cheese, 1 slice bread, 1 cup Tazo Green ginger tea

Morning Snack: 1 can regular V8, about 3 tablespoons peanut butter

Lunch: 1 bowl Greek Lentil soup

Afternoon snacks: Carrot sticks (from 1 large carrot), Apple with peanut butter (lots)

Supper: Caprese salad (with about 1/2 cup of mozzerella and 3 roma tomatoes), 1 rotisserie chicken thigh

Evening snacks: 1 med cup of coffee with flavored creamer and half&half

"Treat" count for week: 3 out of 14

Exercise Log - October 25th, 2016

Morning Yoga - 4 sets

10 wall pushups

6 songs Just Dance Wii

Evening Yoga - 4 sets

Food Log - October 26th, 2016

Breakfast: 1 piece Peanut Butter banana toast, 1 mug green tea, 1 can V8

Morning Snack: 1 mug green tea, About 2 tablespoons peanut butter, Carrot Sticks from 1 carrot

Lunch: Salad "Florencia" with grilled chicken from Brunchbag

Afternoon snacks: 2 cups whole strawberries, about two tablespoons peanut butter

Supper: 1 bowl Greek Lentil soup

Evening snacks: 1 med cup of coffee with flavored creamer and half&half, 1 Hershey bar

"Treat" count for week: 5 out of 14

Exercise Log - October 26th, 2016

Evening Yoga - 4 sets

Food Log - October 27th, 2016

Breakfast: 1 piece Peanut Butter banana toast, 1 mug green tea

Morning Snack: About 2 tablespoons peanut butter, 1 can regular V8, 3 small cookies from office spread

Lunch: 1 bowl Greek Lentil soupo

Afternoon snacks: 2 cups whole strawberries, about two tablespoons peanut butter

Supper: About 4 oz Rotisserie chicken breast

Evening snacks: Piece of bread with apricot jelly, two teaspoons Nutella

"Treat" count for week: 8 out of 14

Exercise Log - October 26th, 2016

None

Food Log - October 28th, 2016

I didn't keep a full food log for Friday, but I am going to try to update my "treat" count

1 piece of cake at work

2 out of 4 pieces of pizza (counting the other two as my supper allotment, albeit a bad one)

"Treat" count for week: 11 out of 14

Food Log - October 29th, 2016

1 piece of Peanut Butter banana toast, 1 cup coffee with 3 creamers and 1 splenda

1/2 cup of trail mix (peanuts, raisins, M&Ms, other nuts), 2 large dates

4 small pieces Hawaiian pizza

Lost track after that I was getting ready for the party-- several handfuls of trail mix, basically, both before and after.

Exercise Log - October 29th, 2016

Morning Yoga - 4 poses

10 lunges - 5 on each side

1/2 hour roller skating

Thought!Splat

This has been a pretty decent week so far. I made a little bit of headway at work, and spent yesterday getting much more prepared for the upcoming close than I usually do ahead of time. This is due to the fact that if the World Series goes to seven games, then Game 7 will fall on my "tough" day of closing, the one where I usually have to stay really late in order to make sure everything's done. So I'm trying to minimize that impact to where I'll at least get to watch the latter part of the game, which, really, in baseball, might be for the best? Because, man, these games are grueling!

The World Series was also a wrinkle in this week, albeit a welcome one (Go Tribe!!!). I had a 100% Whiteboard score for Monday and Tuesday with the exception of one point for going to bed on time, which I voluntarily elected to sacrifice so that I could stay up late enough to finish watching Game 1. The mere achievement of getting through Monday and Tuesday with momentum was a level up. Usually my resolve starts to unravel on Tuesdays. Wednesday and Thursday weren't perfect, but I still got enough points that my score is definitely going to bump up this week. 

I may end up exceeding my "treats" goal, but the practice of being more conscientious has been helpful and I'm pretty sure I'll come in under last week's 25 treats, so that's something.

I'm about to head out to the grocery store to get ingredients to make another batch of Greek Lentil soup. I want to expand my repertoire, but when I make that soup I know I'll eat the whole batch and it won't go to waste. It feels me up and makes me happy, and I have yet to screw up on the cooking of it. For whatever reason, meal planning is very intimidating to me, so that's a project I need to proactively go after, but with next week being month-end close AND the end of the World Series, I'm going to defer that task until the week following. So, the low hanging fruit (or soup, in this case), it is.

I have a costume party tonight for work, which I'm really excited about because I get to show off some of my best achievements, but unfortunately, my extra weight means that only two out of many amazing costume choices are really available to me. Last night I tried to put on the vest to my Red costume from Once Upon a Time and it doesn't even fit comfortably in the shoulders anymore, let alone being able to fasten it shut. For the sake of all the hard work that Past!Faith put into those costumes, I need to at least get these first 20 pounds off.

The way is slow, though. I've got to commit to my strategies and give them a chance to pay off in the long term, which I have bad track record of doing.

Food Log - October 30th, 2016

1 can of regular V8, 1/2 cup of trail mix, 1 cup coffee with 3 creamers and 1 splenda, 1 cup of sleepytime tea

3 eggs, 1 piece 12-grain toast, 1 cup of Tazo Green Tea

1 Krispie Kreme donut with maple icing

1 Yoplait greek yogurt

1/2 cup trail mix

1 caprese salad (1/2 cup mozz, 3 roma tomatoes)

1 cup Sleepytime tea (unsweetened)

Excercise Log - October 30th, 2016

Morning Yoga - 4 poses

10 sitting rows on each arm

30 second plank

1/2 hour roller skating

Evening Yoga - 4 poses

Food Log - October 31st, 2016

3 fried eggs, 1 piece toast, 1 mug of Tazo Green Ginger tea (unsweetened), 1/3 cup V8 splash + multivitamin

1 can regular V8, carrot sticks from two whole carrots

"Tuscano" salad from Brunchbag with chicken

Banana and Yoplait greek yogurt

3 oz rotisserie chicken and several spears baked asparagus

1/2 banana with about 1 tablespoon Nutella

1 cup sleepytime tea

Excercise Log - October 31st, 2016

Morning Yoga - 4 poses

Treadmill - 43 minutes at 5 kph

Evening Yoga - 4 poses

Food Log - November 1st, 2016

1 peice of peanut butter banana toast, 1 mug of Tazo Green Ginger tea (unsweetened), 1/3 cup V8 splash + multivitamin

"Florencia" salad from Brunchbag with chicken with balsamic vinagrette

2 cups whole strawberries

1 bowl Caprese salad (1/2 cup mozz pearls, 3 roma tomatoes)

1 cup sleepytime tea

Excercise Log - October 31st, 2016

Morning Yoga - 4 poses

3 minutes of stair walking

1/2 circuit beginner's bodyweight workout

3 songs Just Dance

Evening Yoga - 4 poses

Food Log - November 2nd, 2016

1 peice of peanut butter banana toast, 1 mug of Tazo Green Ginger tea (unsweetened), 1 cup coffee w/ 3 creamers and Splenda

1 piece of "Pan de Muertos" bread

About 3 oz rotisserie chicken and Rosemary Sweet Potatoes

Apple with Peanut Butter

1 bowl Caprese salad (1/2 cup mozz pearls, 3 roma tomatoes)

1/2 cup Trail Mix, 1 date

Excercise Log - November 2nd, 2016

Morning Yoga - 4 poses

Evening Yoga - 4 poses

NOTE: I'M NOT GOING TO MAKE IT TO BED ON TIME BECAUSE OMG WORLD SERIES!!!!!

Food Log - November 3rd, 2016

(Late previous night-- 1 piece of sliced bread because adrenaline kept me up too late and then hunger was keeping me awake more)

1 peice of peanut butter banana toast, 1 cup coffee w/ 3 creamers and Splenda

(I think I may have had some trail mix this morning too, but it was so long ago. This is why I need to update throughout the day!)

About 3 oz rotisserie chicken and Rosemary Sweet Potatoes

Apple with Peanut Butter

6" subway sub-- Italian BMT on Garlic bread, with oil & vinegar

1 cup Trail Mix, 1 date

Excercise Log - November 2nd, 2016

NONE

This week, Thursday is my designated sluff off day. But I really want to get great whiteboard scores over the weekend because historically, that's where I let things completely fall apart. Especially Fridays. I tend to spend Saturday mornings wallowing in decision fatigue, because I want to relax, but I can't choose precisely how, but I also know I should be cooking/cleaning/exercising and catching up on various other things that I don't have the energy to deal with fully during the week.

I have a plan for tomorrow though. And with this posting, I've gotten more done on my whiteboard than I would've thought for a "sluff off" day.

Thought!Splat for a Saturday

This week has been a good week for keeping things together. I hit my usual mid-week burnout later in the week than usual, and a lot of that had to do with the excitement of the World Series keeping me up late and night and forcing me to rearrange my on-paper routine a little bit. Well, now the World Series is over and I'll see if I can't capitalize on the wins from this week to make the next few weeks even better (before I go home for Christmas and everything gets all topsy turvy again).

I got a terrible WhiteBoard score yesterday, but I also made myself do Friday grocery shopping, which was an important step in a new Meal Planning cycle I'm playing around with, one I think has an actual chance of taking some of the decision fatigue burden off my shoulders. We shall see!

Today my plans are to get as many miscellaneous "round the house" items off my checklist as possible (changing light bulbs, filing, that sort of thing), exercise, and run a couple of errands. I'm debating whether or not to go see Dr. Strange or just stay home and watch a couple of the "I should watch that soon" things from my Netflix queue. Doesn't matter, as long as I conquer that checklist!

IMG_2491med.JPG

This week's results and some thoughts:

Wins: I got through Tuesday with a 100% score. This is a level up. So many times in the past when I had to do it all again two days in a row, I got frustrated. I also got through the month-end closing with much less stress and a much better attitude than I have the last few months, and that's a big win that isn't quantified on the white board, per se, but still extremely important.

Needs improvement: I have got to get just a little bit more structure (and follow-through) on my weekends. Water drinking and food log are particularly tricky without the structure of a work day. I was up 1.5 lbs which was kind of a bummer, though I'm going to chalk it up to a combination of my pants being a little bit heavier than last week's pants (I know, I know, I should be consistent in my clothing weight for better results, but in the long run it doesn't seem that big a deal to me, maybe putting on a tiny bit of muscle weight, letting my snacking slide over the weekend, and normal body fluctuations).

I'm going to see if I can get a 100% score this week on the white board. I have zero thought of trying to do it for the rest of my life, but I'd like to get just one week of 100% and see if anything cool happens. This is a good week to choose because I don't have anything out of the ordinary to plan around (so far), so... why not?

Food Log - November 7th, 2016

3 eggs w/ mustard, 1 piece of toast, 1 mug Tazo Green tea, 1/3 cup V8 Splash, 1 multivitamin

Carrot sticks from two carrots, 1 can regular V8

"Verona" salad from Brunchbag with chicken

1 apple with peanut butter

2 cups mixed strawberries & blueberries, 1 date

1 bowl of Greek Lentil soup

About a cup of trail mix (bottom of the bag)

Excercise Log - November 7th, 2016

Morning Yoga - 4 poses

Evening Yoga - 4 poses

HAPPY ELECTION DAY (even if it's just that after today, we get to breath again for a while)

Food Log - November 8th, 2016

1 piece peanut butter banana toast, 1 mug Tazo Green tea, 1/3 cup V8 Splash, 1 multivitamin

"Toscano" salad from Brunchbag with chicken

3 "Gloria" candies

About two cups mixed berries

Apple & peanut butter (plus extra peanut butter)

Caprese salad (1/2 cup mozz, 2 roma tomates)

1/2 pint of Hagen Daz Macadamia nut brittle

Mug of Sleepytime tea

Excercise Log - November 8th, 2016

Morning Yoga - 4 poses

Evening Yoga - 4 poses

I'm so very, very disappointed about President-elect Trump. As a result, it's been hard to be motivated to do anything today and I've been fighting turning to a candy bar for comfort all morning. So far, so good, but I'm going to a fondue restaurant tonight, so I'll probably end up blowing it on cheese and chocolate anyway.

Food Log - November 9th, 2016

1 piece peanut butter banana toast, 1 mug Tazo Green tea

About 4 oz rotisserie chicken and rosemary roasted sweet potatoes

1 apple with Peanut Butter

About 2 cups mixed berries

2 Gloria candies, 1/2 cup trail mix

Dinner at the fondue restaurant - veggies, bread, cheese, meat, sauces, chocolate, basically it was a feast

Excercise Log - November 9th, 2016

Morning Yoga - 4 poses

About a 45 minute walk around the factory (Note: I asked for a Fit Bit for Christmas. I plan on being out in the factory much more next year, so let's get those steps!)

Evening Yoga - 4 poses

Food Log - November 10th, 2016

Small "Azteca de oro" hot chocolate from Latte

1 cup coffee w three creamers and 1 splenda

Greek Lentil soup

About 2 cups mixed berries

2 Gloria candies, 1/2 cup trail mix, 1 date

About 4 oz chicken and rosemary roasted sweet potatoes

1 mug Tazo Green tea

Excercise Log - November 10th, 2016

Morning Yoga - 4 poses

Evening Yoga - 4 poses

Food Log - November 11th, 2016

1 cup coffee w three creamers and 1 splenda

Lunch at Mexican restaurant: Tortilla chips and guacamole, Pollo poblano with rice and beans, dessert, and rice mile

1 gloria candy, 1/4 cup trail mix

1 caprese salad (1/2 cup mozz, 3 roma tomatoes)

Excercise Log - November 11th, 2016

Morning Yoga - 4 poses

Evening Yoga - 4 poses

MONDAY WHITEBOARD RESULTS

I let my eating slip and didn't exercise at all last week besides light yoga (and one circumstantial walk around the plant), so I didn't want to know what the scale would tell me and opted to skip a weigh-in this week.

I didn't get 100% on the Whiteboard either, but I came closer than I ever have before. High weekly score of 89%. Woo-hoo!!

Takeaways:

• Flossing still feels evil. I don't know that it could ever become a natural ritual to me. By that time of night, my brain and body just want to be done.
  • I sometimes get my 3L in just under the wire. I want to put systems in place (30 minute timers, etc) to remind myself to pace it out better.
  • Getting up at 5:00 for five mornings in a row got progressively harder. Not too mysterious, I guess. Just a combination of mental and physical fatigue. This week I'm trying to get to bed by 10:00 and se if it makes any difference, although I did sluff off this morning and wake up at 6:00. I'm doing my best to manage my stress better at work, but there's so much of it that's outside of my control, so sleep hacking is the easier part of the equation with which to experiment.

IMG_2506.JPG

One great thing that is not reflected in my white board score is how my new Meal Planning cycle is going. I think I may finally have stumbled upon a way to meal plan that is actually going to get me some traction. The secret ingredient is planning on Sundays not for the week immediately coming up, but for the week after and to have my corresponding grocery list done. Then I dive into a full-fledged work week and on Friday nights, when I go grocery shopping, the list is all ready to go. I don't have to think about it. I've been following this cycle three weeks in a row now and it seems to be doing the trick! I've always had it in my head to do meal planning and grocery lists on Wednesday or Thursday for the upcoming week, but by the time I get that far into the week, my brain goes on a predictibal "Nooo, no critical thinking after hours!!!" strike. 

Advance week Sunday meal planning has the added benefit of helping me plan around abberations to my schedule with more forethought. For example, my church was supposed to be having fellowship meetings this weekend and I was going to be potentially hosting some out of towners. Having guests was going to require putting additional thought into food purchase and prep, and the services themselves would disrupt my normal cycle to keep the meal planning going. The fellowship ended up getting rescheduled to December when I'll be back in Ohio, but the point is, I was getting ready for it. Traveling to the US (and back) could also benefit from this pre-planning. I can have frozen items ready to go in the freezer and an "I just got back" grocery list plus the grocery list for whatever Friday follows.

The basic cycle goes like this:

Friday = grocery shopping

Saturday = cooking/ advanced meal prep

Sunday = advanced meal planning

Wednesday or Thursday = Research new recipes/ food hacks

i'm definitely going to keep stringently practicing it, because taking the decision fatigue out of when and how to meal plan is going to have so many potential rewards down the road.

I'm also running a temporary experiment for the next few days. My minion at Day Job got a new job and until I can get a replacement, I have decided to leave work at 4:30 every day and see what kind of impact it has on my overall cycles. Because of traffic, I have to leave my house around 6:15 every morning, getting me to work around 7:00. But since we're supposed to be working with a team mentality, I'm really supposed to stay until 5:00 every day, which is a nine hour workday with a 1 hour lunch, and I don't usually take the full hour, if I take a lunch at all. (Working on getting better at this).

But since my minion has gone, I'm giving myself an extra half hour every evening to beat afternoon traffic and get a jumpstart on the evening's activities, including workouts. I think this measly half an hour every day could go a long way to benefiting my mental health. If I'm right, maybe I'll make a case to my boss about it, though once I have a minion again, it's going to be really hard to get away with it and not feel skeevy. I'll probably just enjoy it while I have it and let that be that.

Speaking of exercise, I started my workout path today. Bodyweight Level 2, baby!

Food Log - November 14th, 2016

1 med cup coffee with two creamers + hazelnut creamer

2 egg broccoli breakfast muffins

1 "Florencia" chicken salad from Brunchbag (w/ balsamic vinagrette)

Carrot sticks from 2 carrots

1 can regular V8

1 Yoplait strawberry Greek yogurt

Carnitas Bowl (3-4 oz carnitas style pork, 1 small avocado, 1 roma tomato, salt and onion powder, lime juice, cilantro, and a few tortilla chips for crunch)

1 cup of trail mix (peanuts, cashews, almonds, raisins, M&Ms)

I regret the 2nd half cup of trail mix a little bit...

Excercise Log - November 14th, 2016

Morning Yoga - 4 poses

Nerd Fitness Bodyweight workout "B" (Plus warm-up plus Evening Yoga as cooldown)