Hello,

I've posted on this website a couple times in the past, but never really stuck with it for a variety of reasons. Mostly, I wasn't committed, and the one time I was I didn't feel like I needed help (foolish, I know). I've kept reading the articles that Steve sends out though. 

But, I'm turning 28 in October. Last time I weighed myself (a couple weeks ago) I was 198lbs. This is the heaviest I've ever been. And, my Dad was just diagnosed (after having it for years I suspect) with Type 2 diabetes. I don't want that to be me. 

I work in a community college right now as a librarian. I had the summer off (pros on cons to that) and I spent the summer going to 2-4 dance classes a week. I do pole dancing. I even performed in the studio's showcase this summer which I was really proud of myself for. I wasn't the best performer, but I choreographed the whole thing myself. I am stronger than I was at the beginning of the summer (I suspect some of the ~5-9 lbs I gained this summer are muscle, but not all) but now that I'm back at work I can feel my strength slipping away. I work evenings most of the week so I can't go to the same number of pole dance classes as before, but I do have a pole at home. I find it more difficult to use it at home, when I'd rather read or watch TV after work instead. 

I went swimming for the first time before work yesterday. I swam for about 40 mins but didn't push myself too hard as I wanted to get back into the groove of the pool. I'm planning on joining the YMCA so I can do this more often. 

I'm also taking a Brazilian Zouk dance class right now, once a week. It's decent cardio once you get going, though learning to dance with a partner for the first time means I'm stepping on some toes :P

I've joined a local accountability group and I want to start posting more here and get involved in the community. I want to change how I feel about myself when I look in the mirror. The only pictures I like of myself in the past 5 years have been when I'm doing something on the pole. My muscles are engaged and I look happy (even though I remember being in pain when the picture was taken). 

Food wise, I eat too much. My diet could use more veggies and less dessert, sure, but I think my biggest problem right now is that I almost always go back for more. Sometimes I'm still hungry, sometimes it's just so delicious. Sometimes I had a bad day or don't feel like talking to the other people at the table so I stuff my face instead. It's a problem that I've become more aware of, but I'm not always (or even most of the time) able to stop myself. 

Any pole dancers, Zouk dancers, or swimmers out there, please reach out! I'd love to trade stories, techniques, new moves, and inspiration! 

Also, if anyone has recommendations for good, comfortable but stylish, dance shoes, let me know. My feet are a little pigeon-toed and I need arch support so finding cute dance shoes has been an impossible task. I'm dancing in sneakers right now which is really not ideal.  

• Like 1

Hmmmm, I wonder what the other six kinds of dance are...

Getting in the pool right now isn't so bad, but I am wondering how I'll handle it come winter time. I live in North Carolina. My tolerance for cold is very limited. I'm hoping the fact that the pool is heated (though, obviously still cooler than your body) will help. When I was on swim team as a kid we practiced in an outdoor pool that wasn't heated and I remember those terrible mornings. 

Thank you for the welcome!!!