My back is telling me that I suck at deadlift

I finally learned that it is the same with weightlifting progress as with many other things: if something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

I have been struggling with my deadlift form for a long time. I would think that I had it down at last and that I could finally start increasing the weight. What would inevitably follow, was me quickly trying heavier weights, thinking "Hey, I got this nailed now so what could go wrong, right? If it's too heavy, I simply won't be able to lift it and I'll try a lighter weight. This plan is completely foolproof!"

Cue massive, ego-fueled, back-destroying stupidity.

I recently got to 80 kg while maintaining reasonably good form. I moved up to 110, again using the strategy outlined above, until one of the trainers pointed out that my back was really arched. (He even said "maybe that is just too heavy for you now"; a remark which I obviously ignored.) For a few workouts I then feverishly tried to lift the 110 without making my back arch, resulting in even more awkward movement. And after each workout, there would be this weird feeling in my back that I dismissed as DOMS but was totally not DOMS.

Yesterday, during my workout, I finally managed to override my ego and lower the weight to a reasonable value. ("Reasonable" right now means 70 kg but could go down further if it needs to.) Even though I know this is the only way I will ever make real, sustainable progress, it is a huge kick in the feels :blue:

All this talk about the deadlift being this awesome excercise that makes you feel badass, was kind of getting to me and made me do stupid things. For the time being, this particular excercise is going to be a "hard hat" thing for me. I will keep doing it with sensible weights and keep working on my form. Maybe I will learn to love the deadlift some day, but not today...

I'm writing this here mainly for myself; seeing it written out like this helps certain parts of my mind to deal with it and also isolate the problem from the rest of me. (I am not an idiot; the thing I did was idiotic and I see that now so I can fix it.)

Of course, if any of you guys would like to make fun of my stupidity, you're more than welcome! :encouragement:

Ah, yes. The inevitable deadlift vs. ego battle. I think most of us have been there. :)

Keep your chin up - you'll get there. I might be reading it wrong, but did you jump straight from 80kg to 110kg? That's a huge jump, if so, which explains a little about what's going on. If not, what's your training plan for deads (i.e. how many sets/reps, how many times per week, how much weight are you adding each session, etc.)?

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, SpecialSundae said:

Barring the trainer pointing out the back arching (I'm assuming cat back?) have you ever been taught how to deadlift or had anyone look at your form in person?

No making fun to be done, but sometimes simple form tweaks are hard to make without seeing the whole picture.

Also this.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I did not jump straight from 80kg to 110kg, but I probably went up way too fast. "Cat back" sounds like an accurate description of what was happening.

Since writing that post, I have asked my personal trainer if we could work on my form a bit more. That has helped a lot. My current program has deadlifts once a week; 5 sets of 5 reps each. I stared back at 50kg to really concentrate on my form and am moving up 2.5 or 5 kg each week, depending on how the previous week went and if I had any back problems.

It is starting to go really well. I feel like I'm moving in a better way and that weird feeling in my back is slowly going away.

And the most awesome thing happened during Camp Nerd Fitness a few weeks ago: I participated in the powerlifting competition, despite feeling anxious about possible back problems. The NF staff and the volunteers were super nice and helped me pick my attempts and everything. For the deadlift, I ended up at 245lbs, which is 111kg; one kg above that last weight, so technically a PR! And I even got complimented on my form! And no back issues afterward! So that was awesome :)

After camp I got hit with a nasty cold, so that will probably make a dent in my training progress... But now I know better how hard to push myself and when to stop, so everything will be OK. (In other words: respawn successful.)

(I may ask you guys for a form check when I can muster up the courage to post a video online.)

• Like 2