Life forever altered

Hi, my name is Ryan and it's all biscuitey. Whatever that means, but I do know thats biscuits are tastey.

Anyways, enough of that. I'm here because I finally have the perfect excuse to do what I've always wanted to do. What is I want to do? Well lots of stuff. What's my excuse? My soon to be born daughter of course! 

So as you can see I finally have the motivation I need. I want to be alive as long as I can for her. I want to learn as much as I can for her so I can teach her. I have my hobbies of course and a great many other things I want to pass to her. But the most important things to instill in her are a disciplined, goal oriented lifestyle along with critical thinking habits and of course a sense of being lived and cared for. Being the trekie I am I want for us to better ourselves together as we grow.

All of that being said (BTW I am damned long winded, sorry) my purpose for writing is to ask a question, but first let me explain where I'm at in my training.

I worked out in high school. I'm 33 now and haven't been very active since my early 20s. I started working out and making diet changes before I found this extremely interesting fitness community.

I'm only on the free character for now BTW. My question is really a few that all basically ask - Should I level up my character based on the changes I have already made?

I get it's up to me ultimately but would like some opinions. Some possible solutions would be to assign points for the changes I've made and award them, just give myself a random one time boost to level myself up or just start from where I'm at. Also, is there some sort of guideline for assigning points to certain categories? I'm honestly not much of a gamer. I've played a few rpgs but not a lot. I'm a sci-fi nerd. Lol.

So there you have it. I thank you all. Don't forget those deep knee rock squats. Live long and prosper!

Ryan

• Like 1

hi

Welcome to the rebellion.

2 hours ago, rybiscut said:

Should I level up my character based on the changes I have already made?

You mean like you always wanted to do/learn something and did it, all before you created your character? Sure, why not.

I have my hobbies of course and a great many other things I want to pass to her.

You might not want to pass on your hobbies to her. Teach her everything, introduce her to everything but let her choose.

critical thinking habits

That's great. But dont forget about creative thinking. We need both. You might also want to look up on a book or to by Edward de bono(esp. one for parents, i have not read that one though) and Thinking fast and slow.

If you want something, go get it. Period 

Epic Quest                                     Intro post                                    Duolingo

Of course she can do whatever she wants but it would be nice if she were interested in some of the things I am. If she's not that's fine too. I consider myself a creative so of course I'll teach her to be creative. I think critical thinking is more important. Too many people don't think for them selves and my daughter won't be one of them.

The main reason I posted was for advise on how to go about awarding points. Any advise on that?

For instance how many points should I award for drinking enough water everyday and what category would I award that to? What about the fact that I've been working out once a week at the very least for over a month now? I was so bad at drinking enough water that I formed stones. I haven't exercised more that once since high school. Or that I've taken 30,000+ steps in the last 3 days? I played Diablo 2 for a short time and champions of norath  (a wow spinoff) but I never got to know the intricacies of the point systems. 

It's really up to you to decide how you want to assign points to yourself. There isn't a one right way. If there's a game or RPG that you want to base your leveling up on, go for it.

A rule of thumb that is encouraged in the NF Character tutorials, and that a lot of people us, is that your character levels up once you've earned 100 points. For something like drinking enough water, you might award yourself a point for every day that you do it, or 10 points for the week, etc.

A bigger goal, like deadlifting your bodyweight when you've never picked up a barbell, might be worth 50 points, and each of the milestones leading up to it (join a gym, learn deadlift proper form, deadlift a 10# training bar 10 times, deadlift an Olympic bar 10 times, etc) would be worth 10 points each. Thus achieving the big goal will level you up at least once and maybe a bit more.

A really big goal like launching a business may level you up multiple times in the course of accomplishing it.

I only recently added the leveling up concept to my challenges. I'm using the Skyrim attributes of Health (nutrition), Stamina (exercise & fitness) and Magicka (intellectual development like reading, writing, art, etc.), and the Oblivion Nightblade character class - I'm currently at level 0, and when (if) I successfully complete the current 4-week challenge I'll level up to 1. I expect this system to evolve over time.

TL:DR: It's up to you! Have fun with it and enjoy. Good luck on your journey!

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

The way that a lot of people also do it in NF is to level up every time you complete a challenge. 

This is no longer supported, but some people (like myself) still like it

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest