Finally Getting Back Into Shape

Hey guys! I'm 20 years old female and my goal is to loose 40 pounds. I have been feeling really down about my weight lately and have decided to make a significant change (I also want to impress my boyfriend when I get back from college if you know what I mean ;) ). I've begun to eat better (yay!) but need tips in figuring out a good workout routine! I am an avid horseback rider and ride several times a week but am looking for some light exercise to start with. I have a bad knee and its very difficult for me to do squats, so any other exercises that do the same thing would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys! 

What gives you trouble during squats?  Are you referring to squats in general or just weighted squats?  Have you tried assisted bodyweight squats or chair squats?

Once you have some clarifying information, I recommend going to a doctor and discussing your issue.  Squats are a core part of most workouts and a good doctor will be able to help you come up with a plan to address your knee problems, whether that's alternative exercises or a progression to strengthen things until you can do squats.

• Like 3

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

I second ^^ that.

I have knee issues and doing squats would killllll. Finally figured out it was my form and haven't had issues. Might want to look into that.

• Like 2

WEEK 1 - H2O X X X | FOOD X X X X | ZUMBA X | 
WEEK 2 - H2O
X ✓ ✓ XX️ X️  | FOOD ✓ ✓ ✓ ️ ️   | ZUMBA  | 
WEEK 3 - H2O 
X️ X️ ✓ ✓ ✓ ️ ️X️️| FOOD ✓ ✓ ✓ X️️  X️ ️️| ZUMBA ️️ | 
WEEK 4 - H2O 
| FOOD ️| ZUMBA ️️ | 

Challenges: 1 | 23 | 45 | 6 | 7 | 8Current
Find me on: MyFitnessPal & Fitbit  [[My Character]]   

There is a beast in every woman, and it stirs when you put a barbell in her hands.

❚█═══════█❚

It's basically any kind of squat  when I have to bend the knee to squat all the way down. That leg is slightly shorter than the other one so that might be part of the problem!  It sucks because they are so helpful haha! I will definitely go back to my doctor to see if there's anything I can do, though if it ends up being the fact that one leg is shorter I'm not suer what I can do about it. Maybe raising it a little off the ground on a platform of some sort would help? 

On 10/4/2016 at 10:47 PM, ChernoAlpha said:

It's basically any kind of squat  when I have to bend the knee to squat all the way down.

Are you hyper extending your knee?  If you're not squatting in front of a mirror, you should have someone video you doing them - not super deep, just enough so you can see your form from the side, and see if your shin is staying straight.

I have struggled with maintaining my balance in squats, and started doing goblet squats and blew my former rep limit out of the water.  You might try a different type of squat (like goblet or sumo) and see if that helps.

Does doing lunges give you pain, too?  If it does, you might need to look at surgery, anyway.

In the mean time, you can do planks - which require straight knees, anyway - and jumping jacks/cross jacks.

If you ride English, posting should use very similar muscles to squats, so doing some time on horseback with proper posting could be about as useful, IMO.

(Already!?) Level 3 Ranger / Epic Declutterer / Prolific Writer

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/163280

"Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change."  - Jim Rohn

There's plenty of exercise that you can do that doesn't involve squats, though squats are awesome.  Especially for the booty!  **nudge, nudge, wink, wink** ;)  

The best exercise plan is one that you will actually do, so think about what you enjoy and work from there.  It doesn't need to be a gym-based exercise either.  Dancing, walking, swimming, yoga, kick boxing are all great forms of exercise that don't require a gym membership. If you're looking to drop 40lbs then any exercise is going to help, regardless of what form it takes.  I lost over 40lbs myself so please don't think I'm being dismissive by saying that.  I can honestly say that just being active was the biggest thing that helped with my weight loss rather that the specific exercise I did.  Though once I lost the weight my work in the gym meant that the muscle tone started to show, which was awesome, so bear that in mind too. 

Good luck with your journey. 

OH BALLS!!!!!  I just realised that this was posted in September 2016 by someone with only 4 post.  Bugger!  Well, if you ever come back then let us know how you got on. :D 

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously