the beauty is in the walking

DAREDEVIL NO MORE

How many superheroes have hung up their mask for an issue? If I've seen it once, I've seen it a dozen times; for some reason, Matt Murdock dropping Daredevil  has always stuck with me. Then something happens that they alone can fix, they realize they are who they are, and are back at it. 

I joined the Rebellion late last year, and got a lot out of it. But then summer happened, I missed a challenge...then two. I benefited from my participation because I thought a lot about it, what it taught me, and still tried to live it, even if I wasn't posting anything. I knew a challenge was to begin tomorrow, so I've been prepping, but then something happened. Make that "some things." First, I saw that _Level Up Your Life_ was the Audible.com Book of the Day. I'd thought about getting it for a while, and this was too good a deal to pass up. Then I had several unexpected opportunities to talk to some new acquaintances about it, which ratcheted up my energy for it even more!

Listening to the book made me realize that I had grown beyond where I had started with Nerd Fitness. As I describe on my character page, I was like Neo in the Matrix, discovering the world he knew was not the world that really was. Several years ago I discovered that I am not just a head that moves around. I have a body. And so I started walking. I've virtually crossed the United States, Australia, and the coast of India, and completed the Camino de Santiago, and physically walked many trails and paths, most prominently the Foothills Trails in the Carolinas. (I'm a walker, not a backpacker!) After years of playing at the gym, in the past year I've been more disciplined and consistent, and the funniest thing happened: I've started to enjoy it! I have a long way to go before I get where I want to be, but it doesn't feel nearly so unrealistic as it has. One step, one choice, one decision at a time, and I get a little bit closer! Body gets harder and feels better, clothes fit better and then get too big. 

Anyway, when I first joined the Rebellion my character name was a French word for strolling, watching, observing. Actually a good description of myself! But now it feels insufficient, inadequate, and so like Robin becoming Nightwing, I now think of myself as Mahalak (מַהֲלָך; mah-hal-awk'), biblical Hebrew for "walking with purpose." I don't mind getting lost, I enjoy taking my time, I'm not really that competitive. But I can go, journey, walk purposefully. I love this Steven Wright line:  “Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.”  And I would add, if you are really committed.

So while I've been around, I felt like I needed to make a new introduction. Because I feel like a different person.

*Thank you for the title, Gwyn Thomas. 

*Member of 2018 Hogwarts House Cup Championship Team*

If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress. -Barack Obama

Anyone who moves on, even a little, walks like Jesus on the water. -Antonio Machado

Hi 

welcome to the rebellion

Have fun

If you want something, go get it. Period 

Epic Quest                                     Intro post                                    Duolingo