Anxious to train amongst other people.

Hello, don't know if this is the right place to write about this. I don't have good confidence and it's even worse when it comes to training. I'm interested in free running and exercises that doesn't involve the standard weight equipment, by that I mean barbells and similar equipments. I'm more towards the exercises that involves running as fast as you can with perhaps a weight behind you in a rope. Sorry for my lack of knowledge. What I'm trying to say is that I like mixing cardio with strength exercises. I have the perfect spot like 2 minutes from my home by the sea that is a gigantic area and absolutely perfect for those kind of things but it's also alot of people going by there and I'm nervous that they will judge. Anyway to overcome that the fear of being judge while training. I can only totally focus on my training when I'm alone and there's no one there that can see me. Any tips? Thanks, appreciate it! I truly do.

I still struggle with this, both in the gym and when I go to run in the park. I also have pretty intense social anxiety.

Honestly, I don't have a solution for it. I just do it. Having something in headphones that I can really focus on or zone out to helps, because then I don't think about the other people. I also generally go running very early in the morning, before the park is technically even open.

I guess what I'm saying is that I decided, at some point, that taking care of myself physically is more important than feeling kind of shy. It's all about priorities.

• Like 1

Rangers, ho!

My Character and Epic Quest

My current Challenge

Previous Challenges: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

That was beyond helpful! Thank you so much! "Taking care of myself physically is more important than feeling kind of shy" that was great! I have also an outdoor gym about 15 minutes from me, I could go there early in the morning before all the people start swarming the place and work myself upwards with the shyness problems. Thanks imprimis5, great talk! You got me thinking, haha.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Timeylord said:

That was beyond helpful! Thank you so much! "Taking care of myself physically is more important than feeling kind of shy" that was great! I have also an outdoor gym about 15 minutes from me, I could go there early in the morning before all the people start swarming the place and work myself upwards with the shyness problems. Thanks imprimis5, great talk! You got me thinking, haha.

I'm always happy to help! Don't forget to take advantage of that 20 seconds of courage, too. 20 seconds to get yourself started is all it takes.

• Like 1

Rangers, ho!

My Character and Epic Quest

My current Challenge

Previous Challenges: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

What exactly are you afraid of? Huffing and puffing? I try to think of it this way- whatever I give myself permission to do in spite of my fears, I give others permission to do in spite of their fears. I change the rules of the game. I am a fat woman. I do Bikram in my little Bikram shorts. Some folks will see the excess skin literally draping off my thighs. So- now here are the rules of the game- my avatar is fat (I realize that exact situation may not apply to you) you have now discovered that in the game you can do Bikram and gain flexibility points (and bravery points)- even if you are fat (or socially anxious). If you are out there running around by the sea- it becomes a thing that is done. Maybe some new mama that doesn't know how she can get exercise with her twin toddlers in tow will think "I saw a guy just running back and forth outside." and she will create a totally awesome day for herself and the twins with them all running around "by the sea". Most people will absolutely silently cheer you, some people won't even notice you. But- you will level up on strength and bravery. Did you also know- anyone on your team that does the same - you get to share some of their health points? When I do my next publicly humiliating thing I will say "Timeylord" three times and send you a lot of power. We may even go looking for these opportunities because we are going to get so much strength off them!

• Like 1

Woah, Nerdfitness forum seems to be filled with people with alot of wisdom. Never thought about that, I'm impressed by the answers I have been given. Just wow. Thank you so much, play it like a game. Just like I'm leveling up my character on Nerdfitness, I need too apply the state of mind that I'm playing a game and I'm leveling myself up. I started smiling when I read this. I will apply the wisdom imprimis5 and you, ThePinkLight have given. I'm totally in absolute awe in the brilliance of what you wrote. Never given myself the chance too think like that! Thank you, it means alot for me :D

One thing to remember, you can't worry too much about other people.  You can't change or predict their reaction.  Just put on headphones with some ass kicking and get on with your bad self.  You are doing this for you, not for them.  Who cares what they think?  The fucks that you have to give are limited.  Don't give any to strangers or the social anxiety beast.  

There might be someone out there struggling with something similar, what would you tell them?  You are worth the same advice you would give them.  Also, you may be inspiring someone else to begin their journey, pick themselves up, or just get out there and do it.  Like "Wow - that guy was just all out in the park today.  If he can do that, I can definitely go to the gym".

Change your what if.  Instead of what if people stare, how about what if I inspire someone.

Hope that helps :) 

• Like 1