Do a barrel roll!

Hi everyone. I just joined the rebellion.

Actually writing that down in a forum is a big step for me. I am a classic lurker, afraid of whatever post that I write will make me sound dumb, or like I don't know what I'm doing. In fact, I'm kind of like that in life too. I over analyze every challenge to the point of paralysis. Every time I've wanted to get in shape, I have done exhaustive research on the best programs, the best techniques, and planned something out. I ride out that buzz from good intentions through one or two workouts...and then I find myself back on the couch, dealing with stress by shoveling handfuls of M&Ms into my mouth. Then months go by when life starts to weigh in on me more and more until I start the cycle over again.

The thing is, I know that I have the potential to be courageous and follow through on things. Earlier this year, I stood in a courtroom in front of twelve strangers and convinced them all, beyond a reasonable doubt, that a man was guilty of molesting two children using nothing more than logic, words, and wit (he was guilty, the guy was a monster). I want to be that guy that I am in court all of the time, and preferably without needing to spend weeks planning my every action.

So I am here asking for some help and some buddies who will help me build my character. I'm a wizard (read: lawyer) who wants to be a warrior. I want to be able to walk up to a seemingly impossible challenge and absolutely know that I have what it takes to conquer it. I want to build myself up to the point where when life comes at me, be it professionally, personally, or whatever, I know that I can just do a barrel roll and I'll be fine. 

Any advice on how you have been able to keep your willpower up and stick with a program? Particularly if you have a demanding job?

• Like 2

Welcome! I don't have a demanding job, so can't speak to that. But the best way to stick with a program is to start with something simple. If you want to do weights, do a couple of lifts and make your goal twice a week. Build one habit at a time. Also helps to do what Steve calls gaming your life. Think of the character you want to be-the wizard warrior. What are his level 1 goals. You know how level one is usually pretty easy to get? Do that for your first level. Then think of what will motivate you-rewards-points-etc, and work that into your life. For example: Work at 2 x a week, earns me 50 points, 200 points I level up and earn a new -t-shirt.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27